[PIC] Demian Maia sidelined due to staph infection

found zombieprophet's staph. Look at ur own risk

sherdog.jpg

wtf!!!!

So does staph infection only come from sweaty mats?

The bacteria is on most people's skin all the time. BJJ training has the perfect combination of many factors.

Your skin gets minor scratches/abrasions from the gi, the mats and your opponent, letting the bacteria into places it shouldn't be. Open pores from sweating do the same.

Your immune system can be temporarily weakened at the end of a hard work out. Bacteria breed in warm moist conditions, like a gi left in a bag. If you're one of the people who's bodies doesn't harbor the bacteria, you're bound to roll with people who do, and your immune system won't be as used to it as other people.

It's not really a care of "letting it get to that stage". It's fucking flesh eating bacteria. If something goes wrong with your immune system and you don't get the right antibiotics it can kill you.

I've had it a couple of times, and it started off as a little itch. At first I thought it was a mosquito bite. Within a couple of days it was a huge painful boil. My whole thigh around it became red, and felt extremely hot compared to the rest of my body. It took about a week of excruciating pain for it to eventually reach a stage where it could be drained.

When the doctor "popped" it, an area of flesh about 2" wide and 1.5" deep had basically turned into puss and pink slime. He cleaned it out leaving me with a cavity wound which had to be cleaned and packed every day for several weeks.

I wasn't even doing any grappling at the time. I got it when I was mostly doing weightlifting. I'd squat until my legs turned to jelly, and then walk (wobble) about a mile home before showering. BJJ practice has the additional risks of dirty opponents and equipment.

Wasn't there a big red spot on his leg that was visible when his shorts rode up a little during the Magny fight? I think someone said something about it in a thread.

Back