Physics Theory: Does Wearing Bulletrpoof Vest or Weight Vest Increase Your Punching Power?

grizzard2bid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's well known that E=MC^2. So by increasing your mass and keeping hand speed the same, you should theoretically increase your KO power, assuming you have proper follow-through and actually put the weight behind your punches and not just arm punching.

So, my understanding would be that if you're wearing a body armor/vest that's 10-20lbs, your punching power would actually increase as long as it doesn't hamper your torque and range of motion.

Yay or nay?

httpwww.israeldefensestore.commediacatalogproduct000000763_executive-bulletproof-vest-protection-level-iii-a-_2_.jpeg

WTF DID I JUST READ? Lmao

In all seriousness it's your body mass not the weight you put down on yourself that increases punching power. And more weight on your shoulders and chest decreases it. That's why soldiers have to do PT every morning to stay strong, and be able to make that flak jacket feel like nothing.

It's a boxing observation that skinny guys hit hardest, pound for pound.
You need to be more efficient mechanically with what you have, adding dead weight will slow you down.
If you need to add a weightvest, you've got the wrong idea entirely about how the whole thing works, you need an entirely new model of understanding.

Before I trained I probably would have agreed with you. But at least then it still would have been a silent agreement because I still knew that I didn't really know.

Go get trained by a technical trainer or boxer (not a tough guy or a meathead-- a very technical guy). It doesn't have to be formal. Pay them some good little chunks of money to show you how, it will be worth it.

You arms cannot transfer weight like that. Put if you fell from a tall building, and landed on top of someone, than yes that vest will make the impact on poor sucker worse by just a little bit.

Much the same way wearing helmets and shoulder pads, allows Murkan football players to hit hard.

Hahaha <Eek2.0><Lmaoo>

No don't worry about that, just get some Rock Pecs.........

:)

To be the voice of disagreement but its not what you have it's how you use it.

On the flip side speed to what everyone is saying, while speed and accuracy give power but so does weight and that's why there are weight classes. If you can apply your weight with timing and technique you can display power.

You could say the fast, fit people are cheating ;)

It increases you ability to survive in shooting for sure. And about the punching power- I don't know. :)

Theoretically - sure...assuming that you're capable of transferring that additional weight forward towards the target without a loss of speed.

The extra weight matters but it's going to be affected by how far you're moving it. If you're just throwing a jab with no step, it's not going to matter much. If you're launching yourself into someone, you'll get more bank for your buck. The more distance you cover, the more the weight adds to the power of the punch. The shorter the time period to cover that distance, the more power to the punch.

Couple of things - 10-20lbs isn't that much weight to begin with when it's on your body. No matter what punch you throw, your body is covering far less distance than your fist. Your body is going to be travelling slower than your fist as well at the time of impact. If you're going to add weight, add it to your fist

You'd get better results adding a few pounds to your hands than 20 lbs to your body - which is why brass knuckles and a roll of quarters are useful tools for fighting.

The technique to transfer the weight of a stone held in your hand through your knuckles to a target is generally much easier than the technique to transfer the weight of a stone held on your belt through your knuckles to a target.

Last edited:
That's why I had lumps of Lead surgically implanted in my hands...........

Couldn't find any tungsten or Depleted Uranium.........

Of course now I cannot remember how to throw a punch and I'm fatigued all the time.......

That's why I had lumps of Lead surgically implanted in my hands...........

Couldn't find any tungsten or Depleted Uranium.........

Of course now I cannot remember how to throw a punch and I'm fatigued all the time.......

Shoulda gone with the depleted uranium-- it's what they use in armor-piercing munitions. You could punch holes through your enemies bulletproof vests, the vests they'll be wearing to give themselves the physics advantage.

Shoulda gone with the depleted uranium-- it's what they use in armor-piercing munitions. You could punch holes through your enemies bulletproof vests, the vests they'll be wearing to give themselves the physics advantage.
:(

I'm never going to get into the super soldier program now........

Don't worry about a vest this is the future for military and law enforcement.........................

MECHANICAL EXOSKELETON SUITS

But...... but..... its an exo suit?

I can build you something that looks like an alien space craft....... doesn't mean you can fly to other planets in it.......

Think terminator etc.....that's the way forward for most modern western military, nothing stops a war faster than your voters seeing their family coming home in a body bag..........

I can build you something that looks like an alien space craft....... doesn't mean you can fly to other planets in it.......

Think terminator etc.....that's the way forward for most modern western military, nothing stops a war faster than your voters seeing their family coming home in a body bag..........

Ok i want one that looks like an aliminum flacon from star wars.

LOL i just lost several iq points after reading this thread

Back