Physical Education in schools in 1960s

The 80s were more hardcore IMO

Makes those guys look like a bunch of lady boys

The La Sierra program got popular at a time when America was alot more prosperous for the middles class compared to later years when subjects like music, PE, literature are being underfunded. It was also around the time of JFK's presidential youth fitness program. I'm not sure if the movement was tsomething to counter the PE system in the then Soviet Union.

If I'm not mistaken a lot of the fitness stuff happened just after WW2. My understanding is when the launched the draft for the war the military was struck at what poor shape the draftees were in. There were numerous programs that were launched. I remember the stuff we had to do in elementary school in the 70's. Presidential Physical Fitness program I think it was called.

I wonder who would object to this more nowadays? The left who likes to promote #bodypositivity and is offended by anything being remotely masculine or strong, or the right who might view it as government overreach and protest by bringing in cookies for the students like Sarah Palin

Last edited:
I wonder who would object to this more nowadays? The left who likes to promote #bodypositivity and is offended by anything being remotely masculine or strong, or the left who might view it as government overreach and protest by bringing in cookies for the students like Sarah Palin

I see what you did there ;).

Back