Physical attributes are more important than technique

For MMA that is simply going to take way too long to happen, since there are so many different things to learn.

There will never be an "all skills are equal" scenario, because there are way too many things to learn in MMA.

Where someone is lacking in one martial art, they can make up for it in another.

In between Muay Thai, Dutch kickboxing, Western boxing, freestyle wrestling, Greco-Roman wrestling, folkstyle wrestling, catch wrestling, Judo, BJJ, kyokushin karate, shotokan karate, Taekwondo, Sambo, Capoiera and then various forms of Kung Fu, there is just so much to learn...

then you also add in the fact that there are so many different styles of fighting WITHIN these different martial arts. For example there are guys with much different boxing styles, much different wrestling styles, much different BJJ styles etc.

There will never be fighters who are equally proficient in all of these arts. It's just too much for everyone to learn.

For Tennis, there are only a few ways you can really approach that game, so of course there will be a point where most players are equal in technique. But in MMA, there will always be different skills to implement into your game.

most MMA fighters dont even understand distance and how to Control .. it is super rare here … trust me bro lol that shit alone will change a lot.

Nah.

A prime, elite kickboxer vs an out-of-prime elite thaiboxer, and the thaiboxer controls the fight and is getting a bigger and bigger upperhand the longer the fight goes on.

most MMA fighters dont even understand distance and how to Control .. it is super rare here … trust me bro lol that shit alone will change a lot.

Well, fighters with a background in karate or boxing are going to be usually be best at controlling distance.

Machida, Wonderboy, McGregor for example were all way ahead of the game when it came to distance control.

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Man I hate that saying. It's something that coaches in the rural Midwest have printed on t-shirts and give to their scrawny white players to convince them that they can all go to the NFL if they just do everything the coach says. You end up with a bunch of delusional athletes, which just ends up being sad. It's lazy coaching.

I played sports with 3 people who eventually went pro. You could tell that they were better than everyone else by 6th grade. And if they didn't do anything but smoke weed and play video games, they still were better than everyone else.

There are people in the NFL right now who didn't even play football until 10th grade or later.

Man I hate that saying. It's something that coaches in the rural Midwest have printed on t-shirts and give to their scrawny white players to convince them that they can all go to the NFL if they just do everything the coach says. You end up with a bunch of delusional athletes, which just ends up being sad. It's lazy coaching.

I played sports with 3 people who eventually went pro. You could tell that they were better than everyone else by 6th grade. And if they didn't do anything but smoke weed and play video games, they still were better than everyone else.

There are people in the NFL right now who didn't even play football until 10th grade or later.
Sports like football and basketball are designed in a way that rewards size. In basketball, the bigger you are, the less skill you need to have to play at the same level as smaller, well-skilled players.

Guards need to have great ball-handling skills, good jumpers and good speed. Big centers like Shaq don't really need any of that. He just needs to know the basics, how to use his size and how to dunk / make layups (which is way easier to make than jumpers).

Sports like football and basketball are designed in a way that rewards size. In basketball, the bigger you are, the less skill you need to have to play at the same level as smaller, well-skilled players.

Guards need to have great ball-handling skills, good jumpers and good speed. Big centers like Shaq don't really need any of that. He just needs to know the basics, how to use his size and how to dunk / make layups (which is way easier to make than jumpers).
I get your point, but there aren't many players, even guards, in the highest pro levels who are shorter than 6'3" or 6'4", which is top 1-2 percentile.

I get your point, but there aren't many players, even guards, in the highest pro levels who are shorter than 6'3" or 6'4", which is top 1-2 percentile.
Yea but those guards, when compared to the big forwards and centers, are like manlets on the court.

All else is very rarely equal though. There is a belief that everyone know the same stuff and at the highest level physical attributes will determine the winner. In MMA skill varies in mastery and type across the highest level. If a beast athlete could have Maias BJJ and Conor's pull counter they would be great. But those are not things you can just pick up. Technique is massive. I will concede that physical attributes are also important though. Id say 1/3 physical 1/3 technical 1/3 mental.

Yea but those guards, when compared to the big forwards and centers, are like manlets on the court.
Yeah, my point is just that, for about 99.995% of boys, they have absolutely zero chance playing in the NBA regardless of how hard they try. That's owing to them not being born with certain traits, height among them. Because, put simply, hard work does not beat talent.

As the old saying goes "all things equal, the stronger more athletic person will win" ... But is this really true, lets be real here, Brock Lesnar's grappling technique is not even close to Khabib Nurmagomedov but im almost certain that he could just hold khabib down and smash him with raw strength and steroids.
Same goes for boxing, Anthony Joshua's boxing skill is nowhere near a Manny Pacquiao or Alvarez but im pretty sure he could ko both of theme in the same night. If the bigger physically superior person doesnt know how to fight at all then yeah sure the smaller fighter can beat him up, but even a basic level HW could fuck up an elite lightweight... Discuss

why are stating known facts? they have weight classes for a reason...if size and weight didn't matter, then everyone would fight each other...there would be no weight divisions...but there are, in every single fighting sport...they have them for a reason.

Yeah, my point is just that, for about 99.995% of boys, they have absolutely zero chance playing in the NBA regardless of how hard they try. That's owing to them not being born with certain traits, height among them. Because, put simply, hard work does not beat talent.
Yea, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just saying that that's the case because of how basketball and football is played.

Combat sports, on the other hand, have weight classes. Imagine if basketball/football had weight classes, as hilarious that sounds

All else is very rarely equal though. There is a belief that everyone know the same stuff and at the highest level physical attributes will determine the winner. In MMA skill varies in mastery and type across the highest level. If a beast athlete could have Maias BJJ and Conor's pull counter they would be great. But those are not things you can just pick up. Technique is massive. I will concede that physical attributes are also important though. Id say 1/3 physical 1/3 technical 1/3 mental.

Perfect example to this is roy jones jr....roy was never a technically sound fighter...he did things you're never supposed to do. he literally went against every conventional boxing norm...but he was such an incredible specimen, he got away with it...in his prime, nobody could touch him...Id match him against any fighter in history, in his weight class, and i'd favor him...he was fast as lightning, hit with frightening power and explosiveness....was very hard to hit..and when he was hit, could take a great shot...the guy almost never threw a jab...haha....he made great fighters like bernard hopkins and a prime james toney look like amateurs...

As the old saying goes "all things equal, the stronger more athletic person will win" ... But is this really true, lets be real here, Brock Lesnar's grappling technique is not even close to Khabib Nurmagomedov but im almost certain that he could just hold khabib down and smash him with raw strength and steroids.
Same goes for boxing, Anthony Joshua's boxing skill is nowhere near a Manny Pacquiao or Alvarez but im pretty sure he could ko both of theme in the same night. If the bigger physically superior person doesnt know how to fight at all then yeah sure the smaller fighter can beat him up, but even a basic level HW could fuck up an elite lightweight... Discuss
tenor_2.gif

Brock lesnar almost lost to Randy couture but had to cheat to stay on his feet.. By grabbing the cage then landed the luckiest punch of all time...

Strength is overated.. Skills and techniques wins the day more often then not

Last edited:
Explain Frankie Edgar. He was never the stronger man but always dictated the fight and pace of fight.

Started to read then something about Brock against Khabib and I gave up

why are stating known facts? they have weight classes for a reason...if size and weight didn't matter, then everyone would fight each other...there would be no weight divisions...but there are, in every single fighting sport...they have them for a reason.
So what's the reason then?

What have the results been when there have been fights without weight classes? Has the bigger fighter always won? Rhetorical question.

Even when I started wrestling in 4th grade, I understood that weight classes existed for a good reason.

Why can't adult sherdoggers grok this simple concept?

Embarrassing.

"all things equal, the stronger more athletic person will win"

This is exactly how I felt watching Usman vs Colby

Usman literally made Colby look like a school boy.

IMO.

Perfect example to this is roy jones jr....roy was never a technically sound fighter...he did things you're never supposed to do. he literally went against every conventional boxing norm...but he was such an incredible specimen, he got away with it...in his prime, nobody could touch him...Id match him against any fighter in history, in his weight class, and i'd favor him...he was fast as lightning, hit with frightening power and explosiveness....was very hard to hit..and when he was hit, could take a great shot...the guy almost never threw a jab...haha....he made great fighters like bernard hopkins and a prime james toney look like amateurs...

That's boxing, there is only so much you can learn in boxing.

Boxing is a lot more comparable to tennis in the sense that there are only so many ways that you can approach that game.

Do you think that if you took a prime Roy Jones into MMA without any knowledge of wrestling or BJJ, he would be nearly as successful as he was in boxing?

Back