PHOTO: This is what happens when you dump your pet Goldfish in a lake

Hard to imagine them surviving anywhere with largemouth bass. Bass love to eat those things. I believe some guys buy them from the pet store as bait.

Exactly! These small gold fish probably rarely make it a day in a healthy lake,

Goldfish apparently adapt to their home, if you leave them in a small fishbowl they stay small, put them in a bigger aquarium they grew a bit bigger, throw them in a pond or lake they get huge

1d17ba4ba43dead605aa9be7eff7df3a

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stop-tossing-pet-goldfish-lakes-132416162.html

Goldfish do not grow to the size of their habitat, that's a common misconception. The reason a goldfish stays small in a bowl is that the water quality is so horrible and polluted it stunts their growth.
When you put a goldfish in a bowl you're doing the same thing as taking a dog and putting it a crate too small, then pumping thick smoke into crate. Will it survive? Maybe. Will it's life be a horrible life? Absolutely.
Goldfish have been accepted as a first easy pet but that's far from the truth. A single goldfish needs a 75 gallon aquarium and a very strong filter system, they're poop monsters that create more waste than most other fish.

Hard to imagine them surviving anywhere with largemouth bass. Bass love to eat those things. I believe some guys buy them from the pet store as bait.
Please stop buying goldfish from pet stores from bait. Feeder goldfish from a pet store are full of diseases and parasites that can be spread to local waters. You're potentially spreading disease to the fish you're trying to catch.

Exactly! These small gold fish probably rarely make it a day in a healthy lake,
They're a cold water carp that is highly adaptable. They have no problem surviving in US waters.

There was a local Asian guy that was putting things in the local pond. He was using it as a breeding ground and selling to local Chinese take out places. I can’t remember what he was selling, but do remember they were highly invasive and killed the local fish.....Wasn’t gold fish but I remember they were scary looking.

Those were snakeheads. They're much more destructive than a goldfish.

Why do you think im specifically talking about the ecosystem in the local area that you, a random sherdogger, live?

Im talking in general terms, goldfish have damaged a lot of local ecosystems when taken to the wrong continent.
Well you spoke of “decimated ecosystems.” Do you know of any they have decimated?

Ok solid effort and +1 point.. But we have invasive Asian (changing the name this week cuz racism lol) carp here that can be a problem, so I understand.. But pretty sure goldfish Carp aren’t a big problem at this point.
I mean I can't answer that personally because I'm not an Ecologist, but I imagine the problem is when there are enough carp to start breeding not a single Goliath Carp getting around like Godzilla.
Goldfish Carp can get to about 5lbs. But I don't think a single carp regardless of size is going to cause issues enough to ruin an entire ecosystem.

So what happens if you dump them in the ocean?

They grow the size of whales?

That would be cool.

So what happens if you dump them in the ocean?

They grow the size of whales?

That would be cool.

The saltwater would suck all the fresh water out of the fish, causing it to die of dehydration.
If you put a saltwater fish in fresh water, the salt in the fish gets replaced with fresh water and their cells literally explode.

Goldfish do not grow to the size of their habitat, that's a common misconception. The reason a goldfish stays small in a bowl is that the water quality is so horrible and polluted it stunts their growth.
When you put a goldfish in a bowl you're doing the same thing as taking a dog and putting it a crate too small, then pumping thick smoke into crate. Will it survive? Maybe. Will it's life be a horrible life? Absolutely.
Goldfish have been accepted as a first easy pet but that's far from the truth. A single goldfish needs a 75 gallon aquarium and a very strong filter system, they're poop monsters that create more waste than most other fish.

Please stop buying goldfish from pet stores from bait. Feeder goldfish from a pet store are full of diseases and parasites that can be spread to local waters. You're potentially spreading disease to the fish you're trying to catch.

They're a cold water carp that is highly adaptable. They have no problem surviving in US waters.

Those were snakeheads. They're much more destructive than a goldfish.

Yes those are them!!!

Anybody else wonder why they've buried the lead....

WHY IS THE SEWER RUNNING UNFILTERED INTO THE LAKES?

That’s so cool I’m going to go buy a bunch of them and release them into local waterways.
I like where your head is at but,
Most would likely become food for bass or even bluegill.

Back