Photo experts - How did I do this? (picture included)

CoolB

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I got a tripod with a bluetooth shutter adapter for my LGG4. The built in camera takes great night shots in manual mode. I adjusted the the shutter speed to 15 seconds and the ISO to 1000. I had the focus set to maximum as I was taking shots of the stars just before. I got everything set up with my wife standing ahead in the target area. I ran out got in and used the bluetooth adapter to take the photo and boom we're freaking ghosts. This is her and I standing in the road in front of our house late last night. Got a pretty cool airplane trail off in the background too.
st0uEK.jpg

I'm wondering if there are any ideas as to why we turned out semi invisible? I'm sure I was standing still and posing before I clicked the button to take the picture. Maybe I was moving but my wife too? Other photos we took didn't have this effect and I'd like to try and take more like this. Any ideas? Just thought I'd share this cool photo.

For fun here's one I took last night of Orion's belt looking up at the end of my driveway.
hMFERu.jpg

need a clear 'shoppable pic of your face in order to give you a better answer.

So I got a tripod with a bluetooth shutter adapter for my LGG4. The built in camera takes great night shots in manual mode. I adjusted the the shutter speed to 15 seconds and the ISO to 1000. I had the focus set to maximum as I was taking shots of the stars just before. I got everything set up with my wife standing ahead in the target area. I ran out got in and used the bluetooth adapter to take the photo and boom we're freaking ghosts. This is her and I standing in the road in front of our house late last night. Got a pretty cool airplane trail off in the background too.
st0uEK.jpg

I'm wondering if there are any ideas as to why we turned out semi invisible? I'm sure I was standing still and posing before I clicked the button to take the picture. Maybe I was moving but my wife too? Other photos we took didn't have this effect and I'd like to try and take more like this. Any ideas? Just thought I'd share this cool photo.

Pretty simple. The shutter was open for a long time and you guys were in the frame for a brief period thus creating a 'ghost' image. The longer you stay in the image the more you would have became visible.

I think it came out this way because both you and wife died, and you're both stuck because you think you're alive. You're posting from purgatory.

I think it came out this way because both you and wife died, and you're both stuck because you think you're alive. You're posting from purgatory.
Yeah I think they dieded and reaching out to da dawg for help.

Pretty simple. The shutter was open for a long time and you guys were in the frame for a brief period thus creating a 'ghost' image. The longer you stay in the image the more you would have became visible.
You might be right. I pressed it and stood there for a good 15+ seconds but your making me think there was a delay and maybe we walked away while the shutter was still open.

You might be right. I pressed it and stood there for a good 15+ seconds but your making me think there was a delay and maybe we walked away while the shutter was still open.

It's a standard photography technique with long exposures. You can make multiples of yourself in the same picture if you stand in one place for 7 seconds and then another place for another 7 seconds. You can also use lights with it. For example the below picture is an example of using a flash light to write a name by using a long exposure.

DSCF1527+%28Custom%29.JPG

15 sec is a long time, bro.

Obviously you went back in time and accidentally interfered with your father and mother's first meeting, so now you're being erased from existance. Better get your Dad to KO Biff quick.

Obviously you went back in time and accidentally interfered with your father and mother's first meeting, so now you're being erased from existance. Better get your Dad to KO Biff quick.
Hahaha awesome reply! This senario never even crossed my mind..... Until now. Lol

I'm gonna be really freaked out of I hear earth angel on the radio tonight.

Yeah, you definitely weren't in the frame for the entire exposure. Camera phones suck for this stuff. Get a DSLR. :)

Yeah, you definitely weren't in the frame for the entire exposure. Camera phones suck for this stuff. Get a DSLR. :)
I may save up for one but I'm just playing around at this point.

You can do the same thing with a mirrorless. DSLRs are like treadmills to the average person. They buy them with the intention of using them and within a year they collect dust.

Most people are better off with a small mirrorless camera.

You can do the same thing with a mirrorless. DSLRs are like treadmills to the average person. They buy them with the intention of using them and within a year they collect dust.

Most people are better off with a small mirrorless camera.

I have both...I use them for different situations. Yes, they are both good though.

As people said, long exposure (basically, anything above 1 sec).
During those long exposures, anything static shall be "appropriately" lit and will look solid. Even minimum movement will look odd, and in different ways, depending on senzor size/ISO/available light/shutter speed/etc. Contrary to what @rj144 said, even if you were in the frame for entire 15 sec, you'd look odd because you'd inadvertently move a bit.

Photography is all about light. And you have a certain amount of light gathering on you. In that specific case, it wasn't enough and you were registered as a ghost (which is why the example posted by @bubbleboyjones shows the actual light source and not the carrier of the said light source).
Not sure if your phone camera has it, but most DSLRs and MILC cameras have this option of a 2nd curtain flash. What it means is that the flash will fire at the end of an exposure, which is useful in long exposures as long shutter speed will gather enough light from the background (high ISO helps with additional gathering of light), the flash will light the person aka subject of the picture and "freeze" any movement. "Normal" flash would light the subject if it was close enough, but the remainder of the scene would be almost black.

As people said, long exposure (basically, anything above 1 sec).
During those long exposures, anything static shall be "appropriately" lit and will look solid. Even minimum movement will look odd, and in different ways, depending on senzor size/ISO/available light/shutter speed/etc. Contrary to what @rj144 said, even if you were in the frame for entire 15 sec, you'd look odd because you'd inadvertently move a bit.

Photography is all about light. And you have a certain amount of light gathering on you. In that specific case, it wasn't enough and you were registered as a ghost (which is why the example posted by @bubbleboyjones shows the actual light source and not the carrier of the said light source).
Not sure if your phone camera has it, but most DSLRs and MILC cameras have this option of a 2nd curtain flash. What it means is that the flash will fire at the end of an exposure, which is useful in long exposures as long shutter speed will gather enough light from the background (high ISO helps with additional gathering of light), the flash will light the person aka subject of the picture and "freeze" any movement. "Normal" flash would light the subject if it was close enough, but the remainder of the scene would be almost black.

I was saying that if he were in the image the entire shot, he wouldn't be like a ghost and transparent. If he was in the entire shot and moved, it would look blurry but not like a ghost.

Back