Phil Davis on Jon Jones in 2011 -- didn't want to talk about him

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by krolik1157, Jan 23, 2015.

1. krolik1157

krolik1157 Orange Belt

At the 7:10 mark of this video (Pre-fight video blog from before his 'Lil Nog fight), Phil Davis talks about constantly getting compared to Jon Jones and how sick of it he is:

[YT]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/algtQ-uQzFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]

Here's a rough transcription for those who don't want to watch (I took out the quotes having to do with his coaches having to take shots for every time he's asked about Bones in an interview):

"For whatever reason, ever since I started fighting in the UFC, everybody asks me about Jon Jones, I have no idea why...I can't do an interview without getting asked about Jon Jones. Whether it's what do I think about his performance, or do I think our styles resemble each other, or are we going to fight, or what do I think about Jon Jones' shorts, or do I like Jon Jones...some of the times I'm like 'man, I thought this was about me...' Crazy. Question after question, I'm like, man."

Now, obviously, Phil is talking about Jones every chance he can get. Kinda funny how things change. My theory is that after Vinny, who had been training with Chael, talked his way into a fight with Phil that Vinny didn't deserve at all, Phil got a lot more cynical about the "fight business." Or it could just be naturally-developed cynicism -- at the time of that video, Phil was undefeated, and it's harder to get fights/be high-profile after you have some losses on your record. (BTW, some of this is in another thread, but once I found the video and did the transcription I thought this deserved its own thread.)

2. Chramelated

Chramelated The Real Guy, The Best Guy Banned

I could see why he'd be tired of the comparisons

And TS' video

3. krolik1157

krolik1157 Orange Belt

4. SnowBlynd

SnowBlynd Red Belt

Its smart. If you trash jones you will almost certainly be painted as the good guy and polarizing the fans is a great way to create hype

5. Xhizors

Xhizors Purple Belt

remove the dot and here it is

6. Mixed

Mixed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Lmao.

7. The Todd

The Todd Brown Belt

dont care about phil anymore, boring fighter

8. johnyboy

johnyboy Silver Belt

I'm in the same boat, he is good at knocking off contenders without earning a shot though

9. killacali

killacali Yellow Belt

Who cares Phill is a gatekeeper who could not touch Jones on his best day.