Phil Davis and his current status..

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by HashbrownKing, Jan 10, 2013.

1. HashbrownKing

HashbrownKing White Belt

Where do you see him right now? Besides the loss to Rashad Evans, who is basically in the top 4 guys at light heavyweight right now, he has been unbeaten and basically unstoppable. Although he beat Gustafsson a while ago, he still beat him. He decimated Prado and would have done the same to Forrest.

My question(s) to you are; Where is he in ranking with the rest of the fighters in the division, and who should he fight next?

2. atl2006

atl2006 Purple Belt

He needs to heavily focus on his striking cause its sloppy at best.

He's a top ten and in the future top five fighter but he still needs work.
    The Evans fight brought his stock down because of how out of place he looked fighting a top fighter.

3. Enigma87

Enigma87 Black Belt

He needs a step up and needs to start fighting top 5 pound for pound fighters on the division. He has sown that he deserves that, he has beat most competition easily other than Rashad.

A match with Hamill, Bader, or the loser of Machida/Henderson would be a good step up

4. HC Daniel

HC Daniel Blue Belt

He will become a top 5 this year, his needs to work on his striking but his wrestling is top notch and he generates alot of power from short distances, slick submmisions, the only one who has beat Gus and i think he can do it again it would be a grappling clinic.

5. RankingMMA

RankingMMA Green Belt

I think Gustafsson passed him up in 2012. Davis' biggest win since beating Gustafsson in 2010 was an unimpressive decision over 'Lil Nog. Meanwhile, Gustafsson has won 6 straight over guys like Shogun, Thiago Silva, Te Huna, Hamill, Matyushenko.

Soon as Davis gets some wins over relevant Top 10 guys, he will surely move up, but his career has been stuck in neutral as of late.

6. The Clamburglar

The Clamburglar Burglin' is my game.

Top 5 pound for pound in the division?

What the fuck does that mean?

7. 3v3ryth1ng**

3v3ryth1ng** ______________________

He hasn't figured out how to be exciting. For that reason, he won't get as many relevant fights and his road to a title shot will be very long. See Jon Fitch for further reference.

8. VialdoresMMA

VialdoresMMA Orange Belt

I wanna see him fight Vinny M.

9. used2wrestle

used2wrestle Purple Belt

TS brings up a good question. He lost to Rashad but I can't think of anyone else other than jones I can see him not wrestling to death.

Maybe a fight with machida would do good or hendo. That's about it off the top of my head.

I think the loss to Rashad boosted Rashad's stock significantly more than anything else.

10. RankingMMA

RankingMMA Green Belt

Agreed, good fight. At least Davis will not just lay on Vinny because he will get submitted. The problem is we might get a boring kickboxing match as a result.

11. tightrope

tightrope Green Belt

Hamill is not a good step up

12. xn7

xn7 Red Belt

davis could probably still beat gustafsson today via grappling

13. FacePlantingPro

FacePlantingPro Purple Belt

In ranking? Maybe. But I would honestly say Davis would beat Gus if they fight again, though they probably won't.

Nonetheless, Davis fought a fighter in Rashad who is better than anyone Gus has fought and would lose just the same.

Point being, Gus and Davis are in the same place, beating gate keepers but hasn't beaten title contenders.

14. BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL Black Belt

I think we've pretty much seen his peak. That's not to say he'll slip, but I don't think he can beat the top guys, i.e. Rashad, Machida, Jones, and I'd say Gus takes him this time around, and I'd give Shogun the edge as well. I just don't ever see him becoming a great fighter. I don't think he has the demeanor for it. His wrestling is good but not great, and his striking is just ok. I think Mousasi would be an interesting fight for him, or maybe Thiago Silva, or the Glover-Rampage winner. Magalhaes perhaps.

15. Enigma87

Enigma87 Black Belt

I agree. I think he will stay around the peak is at now. He'll beat anyone they put in front of him that is not top 5

16. delbosque

delbosque Purple Belt

His striking is sub-par. He will lose to any top-ten fighter he can't repeatedly take down.