1. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Well I don't know if this has happened to other before but it's affecting me lol.
    I've lifted for a bit of time and always been interested in body weight training more than weight training.
    Now that's doesn't mean I don't like weightlifting, because I love doing strength training and compound lifts. Now comes my issue I've come to a point where my passion for body weight training is popping up in my head like gymnastics I really like that stuff, but Olympic lifting is another new thing I'm interested in and just about to get into like literally I'm going to look at gyms very soon.

My dilemma is messing with my head, I'm 17 220 pounds and 6'0 tall.

Basically all I'm wondering is has anyone ever experienced issues with you physical training route you take?

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Having mucked around with just about every gimmick and new revolutionary routine out there I can tell you that maintaining a basic routine geared towards specific goals will take you a lot further than switching every time you get a bug up your ass about trying something novel. Set goals and achieve them, change your routine no sooner.

3. ExtremeStandard

Yeah like right now I'm doing a 5x5 routine and have seen great gains I'm just interested in gymnastics now because I've always been interested in body weight training and being able to do amazing feats of body control and strength plus the flipping in the air doesn't hurt. Then with Olympic lifting, I just like the thought of being able to lift a lot of weight over my head lol.

4. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Yeah seriously that's great advice.

5. ExtremeStandard

I completely agree.

6. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Its advice I no doubt got but never heeded, and id be a great deeal stronger today if I had. Here what will happen if you switch, you'll go from 5x5 to some gymnastics routine, a month or two will go by and you'll switch to a kettlebell routine (cause hey there's carryover to bodyweight proficiency and power development) another two months will go by and you'll switch to oly lifting (with a bodyweight supplement of course) then read a ross enamait book and hop on the 50 day sample program, etc etc. I know cause I have the same training ADD.

Develop the singlemindedness it takes to achieve the goals you set now, and the rest of your training career will be burdened with acheivement, no matter what endeavor you strive to accomplish

7. ExtremeStandard

...urban you are right im pretty sure....i hope im more dedicated than that though. lol

8. MatterOverMind

MatterOverMind Pulling for you

Those three things aren't mutually exclusive.

Plenty of people add the Olympic lifts into a standard strength training routine. Adding bodyweight exercises on top of that wouldn't be too tough, as they should be relatively easy to recover from. And as a bonus, your extra strength will carry over to the BW stuff.

You'll be a jack of all trades, master of none, but you can adjust your routine to prioritize whichever is most important to you.

9. ExtremeStandard

yeah definitely. I mean customizing my routine to my specific goals would be better I understand. But at the same time I wouldn't mind learning the moves in gymnastics and such. So all have to go to a gym to get coached for all that so yeah.