PFL Playoffs Set

This is fucking sick. There’s so many dope matchups and the fact that they earned those seedings makes it feel a little more authentic and special. Brooks vs Magomedov is a scrap. Andre Harrison vs Popo Bezerra is a great fight too. Rick Story vs Ferreira is a good one. I’m actually ready for this. 2 fights in one night? Where else in US MMA can you see that? I’ll take it.

I wish the first playoff card wasn't the same time as the Bellator 208 card with Fedor vs Chael.

Why are so many people complaining about the match ups? The whole point of the tournament is that the match ups are based on the ranking system. They cannot change rematches. I think its awesome. Feels more like a sport.

Anyone know why Rashid only fought once? Did all LW only get 1 fight for ranking?

I wish the first playoff card wasn't the same time as the Bellator 208 card with Fedor vs Chael.
Ohhh that sucks. I'll figure a way to watch both though.

Last edited:
Anyone know why Rashid only fought once? Did all LW only get 1 fight for ranking?
At PFL 2, Rashid Magomedov was expected to face Jason High, however Magomedev was removed from the bout due to injury and replaced by Efrain Escudero

Why are so many people complaining about the match ups? The whole point of the tournament is that the match ups are based on the ranking system. They cannot change rematches. I think its awesome. Feels more like a sport.

Yeah this goofy point system sure makes this shit feel like a real sport.

Predictions:

FW:
I have Andre Harrison winning, facing Palmer in the semi's and Timur in the Finals. Bezera is a difficult foe, but since the Quarters are 10 minutes only, that improves Harrison's chances considerably, especially since he only has to win the first round. Palmer can outwrestle Coga. Siler is the dark-horse. But he's all finishing-proficiency, which I don't think works very well vs composed and technical fighters like Timur or Harrison.
Rooting for: Siler

LW:
I'm taking Brooks
This is a really odd division in that the two strongest fighters (Rashid and Brooks) face each other from the get-go. Likewise, the third strongest, Mamedov is in their bracket. Rashid vs Brooks is also a really weird fight, in that it's 10 minutes and in-case of a draw, he who won the first round wins the fight. Neither Rashid or Brooks are great finishers. So the question basically boils down to... who wins the first round? I'm taking Brooks here. If he could go full-on power-wrestling for 5 minutes, he could snatch the round away by just clinging to him, leaning against the fence and such. (had it been an ordinary fight, I'd pick Rashid though).
So I'm picking Brooks by beating Rashid, Mamedov, and then Nathan Schulte in the finals. Schulte is a dope fighter, but I suspect he won't be able to handle the wrestling. Case is obviously a bit of a dark horse, having fought not a single bout in PFL.
Rooting for: Nathan Schulte.

WW:
I'm taking Magomed Magomedkirov, basically for looking like the most consistent and multi-faceted fighter.
I think he faces Bojan in the semi's... and it'll look a lot like their first fight. Joao is a great finisher... but that's basically his specialty, and Bojan is a hardy, tough fighter who can outpoint and maybe even stop him in the stand-up. Historically, Joao doesn't seem to do well vs such characters. But again, it might just go down to stealing that first, decisive round, so it's an unsure prediction.
Cooper will smash Jake worse than the first time. Handersson is obviously the big Dark Horse. Having only had one quick fight, and having beat Cooper in the past, but Cooper is on a roll.
I think Magomed beats Cooper in the finals by basically outlasting him. Cooper has plenty of quick stoppages, but someone, as composed as Magomed, should be able to negate that.
Rooting for: Rick Story I suppose.

MM:
I'm taking Abus.
Sy is another dangerous striker. But considering his poor ground game, Abus might be able to just steal the fight by grappling. Bruno Santos will be his toughest match-ups in the semi's, but his striking seems good enough. On the other end of the bracket, it's difficult to to say if he'll face Shamil or Taylor. Taylor seems one of the craftiest guys in the Tournament -- while Shamil just gets by everyone. I guess I'm going with a Taylor vs Abus finals, with Abus brutal strikes carrying the day.
Rooting for: Sy

LHW:
I'm taking Maxim Grishin
Vinny will take out Rakim and then Ataev (though Ataev punches hard enough for it to be a problem for Vinny, but I don't think his 40-years old cardio is good for a 2-fights night). Maxim just seems like the most composed and reliable guy. Taking out Rama and then Spohn. Then we have another "composed vs excellent finisher" match-up in the finals, and in those matches, I always take the composed guy.
Rooting for: Vinny and Spohn

HW:
I'm taking Rosholt
The thing is, he only has to win round 1 vs Tiller -- and then survive round 2 good enough not to get 10-8'th. He can definitively do that -- considering he won the first round in their original bout, and then he can just coast and play it defensive, hug against the cage and such.
I'm taking Istrefi over Philipe (basically because Monstero hasn't looked very durable in the past), and then Istrefi's semi-finals vs Jared will look excactly like their first bout. No idea who Rosholt ends up facing in the finals, as all those guys seem fairly even. But whoever it is, I bet he can outwrestle them.
Rooting for: Tiller

This is completely retarded.

Yup.

That's the price you got to pay for holding 2-fights-in-one-night in the US though. No commission will go over the maximum-25 minutes rule. So one fight has to be 10 minutes while the other can be 15.

Maybe they could somehow make it 3 four-minute rounds. 12 min + 12 min. But it's a bit too late for that.

That said, maybe the correct answer is to skip 1-night Tournaments in the first place.

Yup.

That's the price you got to pay for holding 2-fights-in-one-night in the US though. No commission will go over the maximum-25 minutes rule. So one fight has to be 10 minutes while the other can be 15.

Maybe they could somehow make it 3 four-minute rounds. 12 min + 12 min. But it's a bit too late for that.

That said, maybe the correct answer is to skip 1-night Tournaments in the first place.
Why does the winner of the first round advance if a draw? The winner of the second would make more sense.

Yup.

One night tournaments are great. I'd rather they have a fourth tie-breaking judge who judges the fight as a whole to determine who advances from the two-round bout to the second bout of three rounds if the commission would allow that.

Why does the winner of the first round advance if a draw? The winner of the second would make more sense.

Another one of PFL's tricks to try and incentivise aggression, perhaps? Try to finish them in the first round -- or madly try to finish them in the second if it's obvious you lost the first.

I'd rather they have a fourth tie-breaking judge who judges the fight as a whole to determine who advances from the two-round bout to the second bout of three rounds if the commission would allow that.

That's the sort of fundamental stuff that I don't see any US commission ever agreeing to do. American commissions threat the boxing-model like both their god and sugar daddy at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back