Rumored PFL is the front runner to sign Kayla Harrison

Makes you wonder if her people threw this out there to see if anyone ups their offer at the eleventh hour. Since yesterday the rumor was UFC.

My guess Ariel tried to verify with her people about the UFC news and they told him PFL at this time seems to be the front runner and left it at that.

I think she would have signed with the UFC had Nunes beaten Pena but that loss crushed the big fight potential unfortunately for Kayla.

Att the end of the Day would UFC or Bellator afford Kayla? Her management CSN easily demand 1,500,000$

Att the end of the Day would UFC or Bellator afford Kayla? Her management CSN easily demand 1,500,000$
Lol!!!!!! What she has done in her mma career to deserve something like that ? She fights at a weight division that doesn’t exists fighting undersized cans

fighter management can demand whatever they want for their fighter. Doesn't make their demands realistic.

Kayla is good on the mic and looks good at 155 fighting subpar 135. I think she is more hype than anything, she hasnt beaten anyone remotely good to warrant a big payday. Fights against Nunes or Cyborg would be big but 145 is wasteland division, whatever promotion she ends up at needs to build an entire division around her. PFL already does that, Bellator and the UFC would have to keep signing talent for a deadweight division that has no future.

I think she would have signed with the UFC had Nunes beaten Pena but that loss crushed the big fight potential unfortunately for Kayla.

I don't know about that. They trained together quite a bit and that might be a harder fight to get signed than many think. I know they have said its just business but as we seen before that many times money is what motivates those fights to come together. Some think Nunes leaving her camp recently was a prelude to Kayla signing with the UFC.

Not clear if she's yet signed the contract, but looks like PFL is expecting Kayla to remain:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/professional-fighters-league-expects-keep-060107263.html

Disappointing because outside of Nunes, Kayla vs. Cyborg at 145 in Bellator was the only other compelling match up - probably more interesting than Nunes at this point.

Always glad to see a fighter being able to utilize free agency to get the best deal possible in these times.

Be interesting to see what the length of the contract is. They sure don't have much for her, but then again nobody else really does either.

Always glad to see a fighter being able to utilize free agency to get the best deal possible in these times.

Be interesting to see what the length of the contract is. They sure don't have much for her, but then again nobody else really does either.

i know its not her manager it was Budd's who said this but he said a few weeks ago he expected her to stay and that they would probably want her for multiple seasons. WOuldnt sign her to like a one year deal it would have to be probably three years. Maybe she could get a year to year contract and see if she can get anymore next year but PFL probably would want her locked up for a few years like any other org does with a fighter.

If she's smart, she goes to PFL and keeps cashing these big checks. Only downside is the hype will die down once she inks that long term deal. No big fights for her whatsoever in PFL unless you count Budd. (Who actually has a decent shot against her imo)

Too bad Cyborg is glued to Bellator if PLF could get her that would be a great season to watch.

If she's smart, she goes to PFL and keeps cashing these big checks. Only downside is the hype will die down once she inks that long term deal. No big fights for her whatsoever in PFL unless you count Budd. (Who actually has a decent shot against her imo)

Budd has no shot against her lol, what's she going to do to her?

She is at least around same size as Kayla and has some grappling experience. This is more than you can say about Kayla's last opponents. Kayla is used to ragdolling fat 135 soccer moms with 0 grappling, perhaps Budd can make things interesting by avoiding the clinch and keep it standing a bit.

Last edited:
I wonder Kayla deciding to re-sign had anything to do with PFL sticking with ESPN?
Or even vice versa; Kayla saying if you leave ESPN I'm outta here?

I think experience and size are problems Budd might pose for Harrison. Essentially, you have to be able to take the fight deep and fend off Kayla's grappling for spurts of the fight in order to really test her. All things Budd has or is able to do. Like Pacheco, Budd is more than just a soccer mom for Kayla to run over. Budd will definitely be her biggest challenge so far.

Kayla is the only reason I tuned into PFL most of the time. She's their only draw. Outside of UFC and Bellator, I'm a casual, like 99% are. Not sure how they stay in business, but unless they want to completely fall off the radar, they need to pay her. Personally, I hope she goes to Bellator.

I think experience and size are problems Budd might pose for Harrison. Essentially, you have to be able to take the fight deep and fend off Kayla's grappling for spurts of the fight in order to really test her. All things Budd has or is able to do. Like Pacheco, Budd is more than just a soccer mom for Kayla to run over. Budd will definitely be her biggest challenge so far.

She's a double judo gold medallist, the person who beats Kayla is going to need striking to keep her at bay, Budd's striking is pretty shit.

For sure. As she's said in post-fight interviews, Kayla's "in the Kayla Harrison business." Tough to beat >$1 million per year practically guaranteed - that's more than Mighty Mouse was making when he was on his UFC defending streak, though Kayla has been fighting 4 x year in the PFL tournaments.

Best case would be if she beats Budd in this year's PFL tourny and PFL co-promotes with Bellator to have her fight Cyborg early next year. Budd turns 39 this year and Cyborg turns 37 so both will soon age out of being a compelling match up. Cyborg is the most interesting fight for Kayla - they're both natural 145ers (though Kayla is a little bigger).

Last edited:
For sure. As she's said in post-fight interviews, Kayla's "in the Kayla Harrison business." Tough to beat >$1 million per year practically guaranteed - that's more than Mighty Mouse was making when he was on his UFC defending streak, although Kayla has been fighting 4 x year in the PFL tournaments.

Best case would be if she beats Budd in this year's PFL tourny and PFL co-promotes with Bellator to have her fight Cyborg early next year. Budd turns 39 this year and Cyborg turns 37 so both will soon age out of being a compelling match up. Cyborg is the most interesting fight for Kayla - they're both natural 145ers (though Kayla is a little bigger).
The problem with Kayla staying with PFL one more year is that she made a big deal about being a free agent and wanting to prove she is the best in the world only to stay with PFL. So, I think the novelty has worn off, I really could care less about Kayle fighting some fat soccer moms, its been overplayed and its already time for her to fight real opposition. This was the right time to do it, otherwise, fighting Cyborg or Amanda when they are in their 40's feels pointless. Bottom line, if she wants to prove she is the best, this can only be done in the UFC or Bellator.

I highly doubt Coker will co-promote with PFL for a Cyborg vs Kayla fight after the whole circus she made about her free agency. Plus, Showtime and ESPN are unlikely to work together towards this. Unfortunately, Kayla will probably stay in PFL fighting unimpressive opposition but will be raking a cool million a year.

Back