News PFL 2022 Season Info

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
  • In 2022 their championship will be two events instead of one.
  • They will have 30 events next year.
  • PFL Challenger Series; that will be eight consecutive live events in February and March. The PFL Challenger Series is really about pro fighters, many of whom are in the early stages of their career, who are aspiring to get to the season format or get a development deal with the PFL.
  • Eight contracts will be awarded, one each night, throughout the course of those fights. There will be four fights a night on those cards
  • Beyond that, Murray said the league also has plans for pay-per-view events, a combine, and an international qualifier series
Source A ton of corporate talk in the article about how it will intergrate younger audience, data and betting, bla blah blah

Nice. If I could wave a magic wand I would put all of MMA under a similar system.

PPV is the worst idea. Honestly if they can only get 150k viewers on ESPN platform how many will now pay to watch it? 25k? Maybe?

The other stuff sounds fine but think you'll see them try a PPV and it will bomb horribly and they wont do that again.

i want to see werdum vs ferreira 2

PPV is such a horrible idea
Challenger series also, meh

Splitting the championships into two events makes a lot of sense. Was weird to see the finals on the prelims.

I like the combine, that sounds fun but I hope it doesn't lead to any injuries.

Everything else...meh too much MMA for me to watch a challenger series.

I hope everyone who uses the word "meh" gets run over by a bus.

100% serious.

Very interesting that their strategy is put out more content. Maybe their product is more attractive to broadcasting partners when there is more frequency and consistency?

Seems odd that the article never touches on where someone can actually watch PFL in 2022. February isn't that far off.

Based on the way he sells it ESPN should be clamoring to have PFL on ESPN.

PFL on PPV.........<Dany07>

I don't even understand how Murray can sit there and even talk about PFL holding a PPV event. They could put all the biggest names they ever had even going back to WSOF days and put them all on one card and literally no one would care.

I'll be tuning in regardless... But I'm betting generally this won't work out very well.

Not many folks throw $200 + a month on MMA PPVs...

Why does PFL, and virtually every other org, refuse to co-promote? Particularly PFL and ONE have this delusion of grandeur and refused to co-promote with Bellator. They only want to co-promote with the UFC, as if it was ever going to happen. Everyone is so far behind the UFC that winning or losing against each other is almost meaningless, but they can benefit a lot from each other by co-promoting.

Would not pay to see it. But would catch it if on a service i already get.

Why does PFL, and virtually every other org, refuse to co-promote? Particularly PFL and ONE have this delusion of grandeur and refused to co-promote with Bellator. They only want to co-promote with the UFC, as if it was ever going to happen. Everyone is so far behind the UFC that winning or losing against each other is almost meaningless, but they can benefit a lot from each other by co-promoting.

Co-promoting rarely works out as the good fighters get stolen once they do well in their organization.

Look at Invicta and Jewels...

Always the same. Co-promoting doesn't work. Unless both owned by same company.

Co-promoting rarely works out as the good fighters get stolen once they do well in their organization.

Look at Invicta and Jewels...

Always the same. Co-promoting doesn't work. Unless both owned by same company.
Bellator and RIZIN seem like they will continue to work together. That is a good strategic partnership, IMO. Bellator vs PFL would be a pretty sweet series of events too.

Neither the ufc nor Bellator will co promote with PFL ….

they need to find an international partner to do that… maybe ksw ?

Back