PFL 2018 Championships: Dec. 31, 7 PM ET/4 PM PT - LIVE PBP Discussion Thread

omg no @Kung Fu Tze it really is gonna be almost 3 weeks until the next MMA event.

3 weeks of Sherdog without a pbp thread. What sort of hell is this?

Most of the PFL champions are cans.

I don't understand how they can afford to pay all of these guys a million dollars. Nobody is watching their events. How are they possibly making money off of this? Good for the fighters but it just seems crazy.
Seriously? Look up the billionaire owners, look up the billionaire and millionaire investors, they have their own money to pay the fighters and in order to start any business, your start up money pays all the costs in the first year. That is why most first year companies operate that first year at a loss because their own money is supporting all the costs for that first year.

Seriously? Look up the billionaire owners, look up the billionaire and millionaire investors, they have their own money to pay the fighters and in order to start any business, your start up money pays all the costs in the first year. That is why most first year companies operate that first year at a loss because their own money is supporting all the costs for that first year.
Yeah but that’s a lot of millions a year for a little return if any. Wonder how long this will last. Just hope the fighters all get paid.

You say that to me like it was obvious. I don't know anything about their investors. But I haven't heard of many investors that are willing to just piss millions down the drain. WSOF had a decent model as the UFC feeder league but it was clear they would never be a competitor. PFL on some obscure NBC channel at random times is never going to make enough money to be paying a stable of champs a million dollars every "season". I'll enjoy their fights but it's never going to last. I doubt they'll do another season.

omg no @Kung Fu Tze it really is gonna be almost 3 weeks until the next MMA event.

3 weeks of Sherdog without a pbp thread. What sort of hell is this?
Yeah no noteworthy fights until LFA 57 on the 18th. It's a weird withdrawal season we'll have. Gives us time to run the "Best of the 2018" threads at least, I have a lot to work on for those.

You say that to me like it was obvious. I don't know anything about their investors. But I haven't heard of many investors that are willing to just piss millions down the drain. WSOF had a decent model as the UFC feeder league but it was clear they would never be a competitor. PFL on some obscure NBC channel at random times is never going to make enough money to be paying a stable of champs a million dollars every "season". I'll enjoy their fights but it's never going to last. I doubt they'll do another season.
Agreed. Most would rather invest in stocks or something...

That sucks big time. Nothing in between at all?

nothin until the UFC on ESPN+. Bellator week after.

Yeah but that’s a lot of millions a year for a little return if any. Wonder how long this will last. Just hope the fighters all get paid.

for sure they may not want to continue after season 2 if it doesn't do well (someone itt earlier said they acquired $28m for investments for next season) but, these guys would hurt their reputation more by not paying the few million to these guys. It's really a drop in the bucket for some of the people involved.

nothin until the UFC on ESPN+. Bellator week after.

for sure they may not want to continue after season 2 if it doesn't do well (someone itt earlier said they acquired $28m for investments for next season) but, these guys would hurt their reputation more by not paying the few million to these guys. It's really a drop in the bucket for some of the people involved.
Not sure if I wanna be dropping my millions in this bucket tho... just saying...

Yeah no noteworthy fights until LFA 57 on the 18th. It's a weird withdrawal season we'll have. Gives us time to run the "Best of the 2018" threads at least, I have a lot to work on for those.

ya this really is sort of weird. Guess we start with a bang with Cejudo vs Dillashaw card + Pacquiao vs Broner in the same night.

season 2 is already a go.

The card was kinda blah but the money involved made it intense
it did, this is the perfect description of the event haha, otherwise it just would have been a tournament of castoffs but the money def gave it more drama

PFL should cut the featherweight division, fuck Lance Palmer and Andre Harrison, let these guys go elsewhere, no one will miss them

Back