PFL 10: Playoffs 3, Sat. Oct 20, 7 PM Prelims/9 PM Main Card PBP Discussion Thread

there's 1 north american in every final except lightweight (Will Brooks LOL)
265 - Copeland (USA) vs. Lins (BRA)
205 - O'Connell (USA) vs. Vinny (BRA)
185 - Taylor (USA) vs. Magomedov (RUS/GER)
170 - Cooper (USA) vs. Magomedkerimov (RUS)
155 - Magomedov (RUS) vs. Schulte (BRA)
145 - Palmer (USA) vs. Siler (USA)

Just the wrong fighters I think. Guys like Ray Cooper, Vinny, and Josh Copeland made it worthwhile. The Rizin tournaments with Horiguchi were terrific. These middleweights in particular are just kind of terrible.

problem i have with it is one fighter can come in more damaged than the other.

doesn't seem like they going into the second fight on a level playing field.

too wishy washy too many chances for excuses.

I don't like it.

On an unrelated note I find it funny how the PFL announcers bragged that Russia, Brazil and the US were the only countries to make it to the finals when there were more Russian fighters alone signed up for this tournament than the rest of Europe combined.

Fighters the in finals, by nationality:

USA - 6
BRA - 3
RUS - 3 (Abu also German)

<{titihmm}>

problem i have with it is one fighter can come in more damaged than the other.

doesn't seem like they going into the second fight on a level playing field.

too wishy washy too many chances for excuses.

I don't like it.
That's understandable.

Sadibou Sy better learn some ground game. He could have had a easy RNC in his semi-final fight because of fatigue, but he didn't know what to do. I hate one dimensional MMA fighters.

The start of a good movie script. The PFL officials have 2 months to find 10 million dollars that they don’t have but promised to angry MMA fighters. Betrayal, redemption and other hijinks ensue in their quest to raise the money by any means necessary before the fighters find out they’ve been had.
Isn't that the plot of the movie with the singing CGI animals?

I suppose I'm seeing a replay. Wtf is Taylor's deal? He throws an illegal knee and throws a fit like he's the one who should be pissed.
<JagsKiddingMe>

I suppose I'm seeing a replay. Wtf is Taylor's deal? He throws an illegal knee and throws a fit like he's the one who should be pissed.
<JagsKiddingMe>

It wasn’t that hard. Howard was milking it to get out of the fight he was easily getting handled in. Fatigue most likely.

Taylor apologized to Howard even before it appeared he would advance. He seemed mad at himself.

Taylor is an 11 year vet who probably never seen a payday above 5K. Even the second place prize is probably life changing. His reaction was that of somebody who thought it was pissed away. His wife was crying.

That’s the drama we get with PFL that you aren’t getting anywhere else. Journeymen type guys who always fought for the low end getting a shot at some big scratch. Bruno Santos got hosed in the first round and couldn’t stop crying.

It wasn’t that hard. Howard was milking it to get out of the fight he was easily getting handled in. Fatigue most likely.

Taylor apologized to Howard even before it appeared he would advance. He seemed mad at himself.

Taylor is an 11 year vet who probably never seen a payday above 5K. Even the second place prize is probably life changing. His reaction was that of somebody who thought it was pissed away. His wife was crying.

That’s the drama we get with PFL that you aren’t getting anywhere else. Journeymen type guys who always fought for the low end getting a shot at some big scratch. Bruno Santos got hosed in the first round and couldn’t stop crying.
Those are good points. I get his frustration - except it just looked like he was aiming it at other people when he was the one who opened the door to officials intervening - when he was in full control of the fight anyway.
I'm thinking his wrestling will probably carry him to a win in the finals.

I think it is cool for these guys to have a chance at a big payday. Reminds me of that movie that had the two brothers fighting in the MMA tournament ("Warrior" I think).

<JagsKiddingMe>
The outcome of that situation was some serious bullshit. I should have turned it off after that debacle, but I wanted to see Cooper lll fight again and it was worth it... dudes a beast.

Caught the show on replay. Few good scraps but not much to be enthused about.

Ah well PFL...

<JagsKiddingMe>

I think that Taylor was pissed because that whole time before the decision, he thought he was getting DQ'ed and gave away his chance at $1 million dollars by doing something very stupid, in a fight that he controlled for 9+ minutes.

The problem is.... he should have been DQ'ed. He threw an illegal knee on the ground. In ANY fight, he would have been DQ'ed and lost the fight, so I think they made the wrong decision. That long ass wait was confusion if they should go to the cards, or if they were gonna DQ him. By him stomping out the cage, he thought he was getting DQ'ed. Taylor got lucky.

Back