PFL’s relationship with mma managers

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Aug 8, 2019.

1. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...e=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

“I don’t have anything against anybody,” said Alex Davis, a veteran manager who’s also penned columns on the MMA industry for MMA Junkie. “I just want my fighters to have a fair chance.”

Davis, however, claims Abdelaziz has acted unethically in support of his goals. He claims he’s attempted to place his fighters in the PFL and gotten no response, only to have Abdelaziz or Dominance company reps approach them promising a contract if they sign a management deal. He said he brought the matter to the attention of PFL executives.

As recently as this past month, Davis claims Abdelaziz approached top-ranked bantamweight John Lineker, who was recently released by the UFC, after he’d reached out to PFL matchmakers to no response.

“Ali’s conversation is, ‘If you want to do good in PFL and make money, you need to sign with Ali,'” Davis said.

-
    Rubenstein said PFL, rebranded from WSOF in 2017 under a new group of investors, said it was “very glaringly obvious” certain managers have been favored over others throughout two seasons in business. But he applauded the promotion for trying to change its culture.

Rubenstein is hopeful the new direction leads to more opportunities for his clients.

“I think they’re smart enough to realize there’s a perception out there,” Rubenstein said. “If they continue down the path, you will see a completely different roster next season.”

-

With Season 2 underway, Abdelaziz is said to have a direct or indirect interest in 50 percent of the fighters that have been recruited, according one estimate within the promotion. Asked whether such a share is limiting opportunities for others, Murray said he couldn’t speak to that.

Drugstore Cowboy, FKA and europe1 like this.
  2. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

Well... this comes to the surprise of no-one! More scumminess out of Ali!

I honestly think the people behind PFL are just there to cash as many checks as possible for as long as this Ponzi-scheme holds up.

Thx for posting!

3. kimocomplex

kimocomplex Red Belt

in before Titanic sinking

4. RODNEY83

RODNEY83 Blue Belt

As long as lazy a_ _ Rey Sefo wants to continue to be in bed with Ali Abdelaziz and keep having the PFL keep putting on these mostly boring a_ _ fights, which isn't growing the PFL viewership numbers on ESPN 2, then let the PFL live or die with this lazy a_ _, underhanded approach. Combat sports is filled with a bunch of dirty underhanded clowns.

5. FKA

FKA AZ Hotshots/OAK Raiders/That Bellator guy

Pfl sucks

6. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Silver Belt

ive never watched one show. i just cant get behind it

also, i see why they rebranded and got away from WSOF because they are trying to act more mainstream, but you would think they could do better then Professional Fighters League lol. thats sounds like something a 12 year old would come up with.

7. TheBrownRanger

TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

Ali's influence over the PFL just kills my interest. I love the format, but the promotion will never move forward with dudes like that at the helm. A lot of momentum from season 1 went to shit this year.

I'm happy someone in the business is speaking up about this.

Shame. I would have rather seen John Lineker and TRT Bigfoot bang it out in the PFL instead of weirdos like Zane Kamaka and Zeke Tunei.

8. Pakman

Pakman Gold Belt

Never watched one show but you can't get behind it. Lol

Solid fanbase here on Sherdog.

Bluesbreaker, chrisdiaz and FKA like this.
  9. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Silver Belt

lol, you again

if you have time to sit and watch C league MMA, then cheers. i havent watched a single event from these guys since the rebrand. and i bet im not the only one that'll say that. ufc took a lot of the exciting guys they had when it was still WSOF like gaethje and moraes

and also, its not convincing me in the slightest to give it another shot when the main thing they have going for them is a WMMA 155er whos fighting total no name cans because that divsion is dead on arrival.

happy saturday

10. skylolow

skylolow Silver Belt

Honestly, you haven't missed a whole lot.

Some good matches and a lot very forgettable fights. But nothing is a much go see right now.

11. chrisdiaz

chrisdiaz Brown Belt

Id really like to see the PFL continue but they need to get out of the Ali business right away.