Pettis vs Mcgregor

Conor doesn't have superior standup between the two. Take a look back at some footage of them both. Pettis's standup is way more impressive.

Disagree. Conor is the way better boxer and he has the kicks and everything else to defend himself against Pettis. The boxing is the most important aspect of striking especially when Conor knows all the other tools too.

If Pettis fought smart instead of standing the whole time with Conor he would sub him within 2 rds. That's it. Case closed. Your only hope is that Pettis would try to prove a point in standing instead of taking in to the ground.
Lol... which is the most probable scenario.

I like how you feel so sure about what you think using the "if " word... Almost like dreaming don't you...

You say this like its a factual statement and not a matter of opinion. Firstly Pettis has faced such better competition than mcgregor it's not even comparable.

Pettis is a much better athlete and more physically gifted. He also has much more dynamic striking. Conor may have more pop in his power punch but that remains to be seen in his lw debut:

He is certainly not the better fighter compared to Pettis who has faced adversity, won by submission/ko/dec, beaten world class fighters, and shown incredible physical gifts to go with his disciplines.

Do you guys just spout off things that you hear cause they sound cool? Since when is a power puncher whose a one trick pony a world class athlete? Do you know what a world class athlete is?

I wouldn't put either of them at the top of a list for such a label. However, it would be silly to rank Pettis below Conor as far as being an athletically gifted person.

Conor is a great fighter and a ballsy guy. I'll give him that. All of his talk about movement and His other obsessions are just talk. He actually moves quite stiffly and doesn't come off as much more than a brawler with decent reflexes.

Lol you contradicted yourself within the first sentences.. good job!

Tell me how anthony pettis is more athletic than conor? Conor has better movement, speed, power, agilty, balance.. yeah just about everything.. Clearly, your to experienced enough within athletics to understand this.. I bet your the typical american who doesnt know SHIT about athleticism. Start reading up kid, your making a fool out of yourself.

Btw, who has anthony beat thats better than jose aldo? Yeah NONE.

As a Pettis fan, I have to say he looked like shit in his last fight. His shape didn't looked the same, his kicks was weak, we wasn't as fast as he used to be.

And even on his best, I would give Conor a advantage. Pettis doesn't know how to fight when someone pressure him. And of course, when you pressure someone, the first thing that he won't able to do as well is using his kicks. Conor has just way better hands, moves better, probably has more speed, more power and is a better striker.

Regardless if Conor somehow manages to beat RDA I still say Pettis subs Conor within 2 rds. Pettis is just a way more superior fighter and athlete. He has the advantage over Conor in every aspect of the sport except punching power.
Pettis would have to get him down and keep him there to submit him. Pettis does not have any kind of wrestling to do that.
Id say Conor is the better "athlete". In fact im having a hard time coming up with an advantage for Pettis ? Kicks ? Ill give that a maybe. Conor has a pretty effective and diverse kicking game also.

I say that Pettis is absolutely one of the easiest fights out of the top 155ers.
Conor wins by KO no later than 2nd rd.

Pettis' striking is very good. And anyone who thinks not is not really watching the fights. He doesn't have the big one-shot KO, but he's very disciplined and clean with this strikes. Even in the RDA fight that he lost, I thought he was doing great on the feet... that is, until RDA started throwing haymakers and taking him down. That's his biggest weakness. He doesn't have that wrestling endurance. As soon as someone comes in and grinds him, he's done for.

I think a fight between him and Connor would go the distance.

Lol you contradicted yourself within the first sentences.. good job!

Tell me how anthony pettis is more athletic than conor? Conor has better movement, speed, power, agilty, balance.. yeah just about everything.. Clearly, your to experienced enough within athletics to understand this.. I bet your the typical american who doesnt know SHIT about athleticism. Start reading up kid, your making a fool out of yourself.

Btw, who has anthony beat thats better than jose aldo? Yeah NONE.
I completely agree with your opinion on Conor vs Pettis but "typical American who doesnt know shit about athleticism" ?

Holloway does not compare to Bendo, Cerrone, RDA etc. so just stop.

You said Conor doesn't take people down. He does in fact do that when he has to.

You are correct in that he's displayed nothing to date that even hints that his ground game is on par with Bendo/Cowboy/RDA, but he does in fact, have some ground skills. Enough to neutralize a younger, greener Holloway at least.

Mendes has a pretty mean guillotine and yet failed to even get a good attempt in both times he tried it on Conor. While I think Conor's bottom game is pretty weak overall you have to admit he scrambles well.

If you attribute the Mendes loss to the short camp (I agree in part - this was a factor) entirely and do not count the numerous body kicks that Conor pelted him with as part of what lead to the gassing then you're choosing to only see the parts of the picture that you want to see.

If conor doesn't pressure him then pettis wins but if he does Conor by rape.

Agreed, I don't think it was a lucky punch, either, but I've seen enough MMA to know it wasn't a tell-all type of fight. McGregor had a more difficult fight against both Mendes and Siver than he did Aldo, and by itself, tells us that in the 13 seconds it took, the night was his-- but it wasn't indicative of either mans [Aldo and McGregor's] full potential.

I've seen Rockhold get finished by Belfort, only to go forward and defeat Weidman. I've seen Cain get finished early by JDS, only to absolutely destroy him in two more contests, afterwards. McGregor certainly defeated Aldo impressively, but the most it taught us was that McGregor can take out anyone at FW with his power. Even McGregor stated during the conference, that he would've liked it to go a bit longer, and I think most reasonable fans would agree.

Realistically, they probably weren't. A fight camp is designed to prepare a fighter for peak physical/mental efficiency and it requires time, money and resources, not just for the fighter, but for the team they must assemble. You're focusing on Mendes, but you also have to consider the group of people behind him who contribute to his success.

While Aldo may have pulled out of fights previously, the decision to continue with the event was also on McGregor. If he instead decided to wait for Aldo, the UFC would have likely obliged and postponed the event. McGregor decided to go forward with a fight (bold of him), and that meant the UFC was now forced to find a willing opponent. It doesn't mean that opponent could have realistically anticipated this.

On top of this, is the fact that neither Mendes or Edgar could be 100% positive that THEY would be the backup guy, which would result in spending a lot of time, money and resources on a very uncertain gamble, especially when the injury occurred that close to the fight.

At the end of the day, both McGregor and Mendes signed the dotted line, so credit to the victor, but the devil is in the details.

Fair point, I see where you are coming from. You could be right that he didn't go balls to the wall training. I do however expect that he and his team were still preparing for the fight. Like I said, Aldo's track record would have had every potential contender waiting for that payday, and in this case I think the risk would have been worth the reward in their eyes. I mean, do fighters really stop training when they don't have a fight booked? If they do, that's probably a big reason they're not a champion.

How much money would it actually cost for a training camp on top of what they usually do? Study tapes on McGregor, formulate a plan for how they anticipate the fight to go, simulate fighting him, bust your balls with cardio, keep your diet on point- ultimately, Mendes probably expects to fight McGregor at some point whatever happens, so it's hardly wasted effort.

Ummmmm....you just proved my point. Conor has nothing to do with why you think he's overrated. And Conor is not a better striker. He plays right into Pettis' hand in terms of stand up. He likes to play the range game. Good luck with that when you're fighting the sniper of snipers at a weight class where he won't have a power and chin advantage.

If Pettis can take RDA's best shots, and rag dolling for 5 full rounds, Conor ain't gonna put a dent in him.

And don't give me that precision beats power crap. Pettis is way more precise, and way less hittable in a mainly striking match.
Why would anybody have anything to do with why I think Pettis is overrated other than Pettis? Pettis can only strike. That's why I think he is overrated. And, even though it is his specialty, I think his striking is worse than mcnuggets. That is my opinion.

So ever time Conor wins it will always be "ok but this other guy would kill him"?

If Pettis is smart he'd take it to the ground and sub him in the 1st like Bendo.

Back