Pettis vs Mcgregor

Actually, I was thinking about these two the other day. They're very similar fighters, except for one very key difference.

Pettis covers up his relatively weak fundamentals with flashy techniques. McGregor covers up his very solid fundamentals with flashy techniques. They're both using smoke and mirrors when they throw their spinning shit, but for very different reasons. Pettis is trying to get a good looking KO and land something spectacular, because that's the only realistic way he wins (I'm not saying he's bad by any means, he's a great fighter- but his defence and basic strikes simply aren't on show). McGregor is trying to make you forget about how solid his basic striking is and bait you into making mistakes by throwing elaborate strikes that make you think he's open, when he's already waiting to hit your reaction.

If they fought each other I'd bet the house on McGregor. Pettis is tailor-made for him. RDA now... I'm not so sure.

I love watching Pettis fight, and will always tune in to see him, but let's not forget that he has had his weaknesses exposed on multiple occasions now. He's been soundly defeated by Guida, RDA and Alvarez, and was getting beaten soundly by Melendez too. Benson was outgrappling him before getting subbed. Pettis hasn't actually had enough dominating wins for the hype and accolades he still gets, he's way more similar to Uriah Hall than McGregor.
You just proved my argument without trying to. Guida, RDA, Alvarez, Benson and Mendez all have crazy wrestling. Alvarez, RDA and Guida used that wrestling to beat Pettis. Wrestling/groundgame is exactly what Conor lacks. Pettis could beat Conor on the feet, but would take him down and sub him within 2 rds. And I'd bet the house on that.

I hear what you're saying, but what high profile wins does Pettis actually have on his resume, and what actual big finishes does he have? His greatest moments were his showtime kick (which was fucking amazing, but again- all show), his brutal body kick on Cerrone, and his head kick on Lauzon. Definitely a decent reel, but where is the substance behind all of that? Where are the clips of him taking on another high level striker and showing the ability to beat them down?

Every person Conor has fought has looked like an idiot standing, regardless of their wrestling or striking pedigree. Nothing Pettis has done shows him capable of outstriking McGregor, honestly.

I love watching Pettis fight, and will always tune in to see him, but let's not forget that he has had his weaknesses exposed on multiple occasions now. He's been soundly defeated by Guida, RDA and Alvarez, and was getting beaten soundly by Melendez too. Benson was outgrappling him before getting subbed. Pettis hasn't actually had enough dominating wins for the hype and accolades he still gets, he's way more similar to Uriah Hall than McGregor.

All those guys you listed are decent wrestlers who where able to keep Pettis and his striking honest. Pettis is very dangerous when the threat of takedown isn't as serious.

Regardless if Conor somehow manages to beat RDA I still say Pettis subs Conor within 2 rds. Pettis is just a way more superior fighter and athlete. He has the advantage over Conor in every aspect of the sport except punching power.

LOL! Conor is the far superior athlete to Pettis. Pettis is just a bit more flashy since he has trained TKD since he was a kid, and conor took it up late in life.

It would be a super fun fight, on the feet it would be cool to see.. But conor has waaay better boxing, and his kicks are on par with pettis ,especially the spinning back kicks. Pettis offensive grappling is probably way better than conors, but i think you would be surprised when conor grapples pettis.

Conor all the way, He is the better fighter AND athlete. Dont kidd yourself.

I hear what you're saying, but what high profile wins does Pettis actually have on his resume, and what actual big finishes does he have? His greatest moments were his showtime kick (which was fucking amazing, but again- all show), his brutal body kick on Cerrone, and his head kick on Lauzon. Definitely a decent reel, but where is the substance behind all of that? Where are the clips of him taking on another high level striker and showing the ability to beat them down?

Every person Conor has fought has looked like an idiot standing, regardless of their wrestling or striking pedigree. Nothing Pettis has done shows him capable of outstriking McGregor, honestly.
Conor's beaten Aldo and Mendes. The Aldo fight they came out and threw a punch they both got hit, but Conor's landed cleaner. doesn't tell us much. I still say Aldo wins a rematch. And Mendes was short camped and still punishing Conor in that fight. Pettis beat Bendo twice, Cowboy Cerrone and Melendez. I'd put money on Bendo, Cerrone and Melendez over Mcgregor.

LOL! Conor is the far superior athlete to Pettis. Pettis is just a bit more flashy since he has trained TKD since he was a kid, and conor took it up late in life.

It would be a super fun fight, on the feet it would be cool to see.. But conor has waaay better boxing, and his kicks are on par with pettis ,especially the spinning back kicks. Pettis offensive grappling is probably way better than conors, but i think you would be surprised when conor grapples pettis.

You don't even believe that. Like I said Pettis is superior in every aspect of MMA except punching power.

Pettis needs room to operate and prefers a fight that moves at his pace (which is slower and more tactical). While he's definitely a skilled striker under these conditions, I don't think he'd do well against an aggressive version of McGregor, who can also retreat to crisp counter-striking when he needs to. I feel McGregor also has the advantage here, because he does his best work with his hands, which he can use to set traps/counter while still staying mobile. Naturally, you're more limited in that area, when using kicks.

If Pettis can't find the range on his kicks, his arsenal becomes largely depleted. He has BJJ, but I really don't see such a fight going to the ground, unless someone gets rocked/hurt, first. That, and Pettis has had a bad habit of failing to get off the fence, which both stifles him and is the worst place to be against a guy like McGregor.

Two men who love styling & profiling while fighting I think this fight would look more like a dance battle than mma fight with each trying to go for style points...

200.gif

Regardless if Conor somehow manages to beat RDA I still say Pettis subs Conor within 2 rds. Pettis is just a way more superior fighter and athlete. He has the advantage over Conor in every aspect of the sport except punching power.
Conor has better TD defense & much better boxing. He would pressure Pettis against the cage & tee off.

Conor's beaten Aldo and Mendes. The Aldo fight they came out and threw a punch they both got hit, but Conor's landed cleaner. doesn't tell us much. I still say Aldo wins a rematch. And Mendes was short camped and still punishing Conor in that fight. Pettis beat Bendo twice, Cowboy Cerrone and Melendez. I'd put money on Bendo, Cerrone and Melendez over Mcgregor.

Oh dear. I really hope you don't believe that. Firstly, Aldo got starched by a clean counter left Conor's been throwing forever. Watch the KO on Buchinger next to the Aldo KO- they're almost identical. That's a trademark shot he throws that lands the same way every time. That was not some lucky punch. I do think Aldo could have gone longer, I also think all the signs point to the same result.

'Short camp Mendes' is one of the most irritating things ever. Stop and think realistically for a second. Aldo had pulled out of maybe 5 title fights prior to fighting McGregor? This was one of the most hyped fights in UFC history (the first one). And you really, really think that Mendes (and Edgar and anyone else without a fight booked) weren't training their ASS off preparing for McGregor just in case Aldo pulled out?

If you believe that, then I don't know what to tell you. Of course they're using the short camp excuse now, because he lost! There is no way in hell he wasn't preparing for this fight, even if he was that stupid there's no way his camp are.

Bear in mind, prior to Conor beating Aldo, most people were split on who wins Aldo/Pettis. A lot of people would favour Aldo in that fight, and I'd probably be one of them. I hope Conor DOES fight Pettis one day, and you can see the gulf between show and substance.

Oh dear. I really hope you don't believe that. Firstly, Aldo got starched by a clean counter left Conor's been throwing forever. Watch the KO on Buchinger next to the Aldo KO- they're almost identical. That's a trademark shot he throws that lands the same way every time. That was not some lucky punch. I do think Aldo could have gone longer, I also think all the signs point to the same result.

Still doesn't tell us much. I could easily see Aldo winning a rematch with a better gameplan and not rushing in like that. It was obvious that Conor was just waiting for that moment and Conor himself said he knew Aldo was going to do that because he saw Aldo squeeze his hand into a fist at the staredown.

Still doesn't tell us much. I could easily see Aldo winning a rematch with a better gameplan and not rushing in like that. It was obvious that Conor was just waiting for that moment and Conor himself said he knew Aldo was going to do that because he saw Aldo squeeze his hand into a fist at the staredown.

How exactly? How is Aldo beating McGregor?

He could try outgrappling him, sure. But he's nowhere close to the level of wrestling of Mendes. Leg kicks? Unlikely to be as effective on McGregor as people thought.

Don't forget, Mendes and Aldo went to war, and Mendes gave as good as he got. Mendes looked like a fish out of water against McGregor. Purely in terms of striking, McGregor is one of the best we've seen- don't let the irrational fanboys blind you to that, appreciate how good he is as well as accepting his flaws. Whether he beats RDA or not, he has proven himself as a truly legit fighter, and whatever happens he deserves respect for pushing for the hardest challenges possible. Not many champions have actually backed their talk up when it comes to that. Jones talks about HW but never moves up. Anderson never went up to fight Jones. GSP never went up to Anderson. Aldo never went up to Pettis. Ronda never went up to Cyborg. Let's respect Conor for doing what very few champions have the balls to do.

You're insane. Pettis's striking is waaayyy more dynamic. And of course Conor doesn't go for takedowns because he's lost on the mat.
You're the one insane on this thread. Thinking that Pettis would go and submit Conor is silly. Submission isn't the main strategy for him in first place. Pettis dynamic striking hasn't shine recently and you are definitely underestimating Conor's striking.

That fight would be competitive but I think that Conor got the edge anyway based on his accuracy and timing. RDA is a more dangerous fight for Conor.

Dude, Pettis is a way better kicker than Conor.
But overall striking it is probably pretty even. Though I would after seeing Pettis latest performances bet that Conor would be able to push him backwards and knock him out before he manages to throw some heavy timber towards Conor's mid section. The boxing that Conor possess is nothing to joke about, and would hurt Pettis a lot when he tries to create space for the kicks.
Probably a bit similar to Nieky Holzken vs. Daniels, where the TKD based Daniels got pushed towards the ropes and demolished when he couldn't get enough space to perform all those flashy kicks.

Conor has the superior movement, octagon control, reactions to pressure, accuracy, range, and fight IQ. The only thing that Pettis is better at than McGregor is possibly jiu jitsu and the ability to allow himself to get wet blankted with zero answers. Fans are calling for McGregor vs Pettis because we know it's a big name highlight at 155 for McGregor.

I don't like either, but I truly believe Pettis is overrated. McNugget by second round knockout.

You think that, because he gets wrestlefucked. It would be a pure stand up match against Conor, and Pettis simply doesn't lose a stand up match.

Back