Pettis Myths

Nate's been finished twice.

Fake news.

So I missed a fight from 13 years ago when Nate was 21. My bad. I don't think it detracts from my point, which was mostly that he's only been KO'd once.

Damn you. Now I have to go back and watch that fight. Because I don't remember it being boring at all.

But the rest of it, ya, I agree, Pettis is an attacker first and foremost. This is a hell of a fight.

EDIT: ya, I'm going to have to strongly disagree. Unless you define anything other than rock-em-sock-em as "Condit v Diaz style". Thompson didn't stand in one place, that's for damn sure. But he didn't do a Condit either. Josh also landed 2 headkicks in the first 2.5 minutes. Nate didn't "just get caught". He was open all night. And Josh was throwing bombs with all 4 limbs the entire fight. He also got a takedown at the end of round 1. Wasn't afraid to throw GnP.

Sorry mate. That wasn't a boring fight, and it was a well planned and well executed Thomson beatdown. And I've been a Diaz fan longer than most anyone here. And I tend to agree with most of your posts, @mkt . But you missed on this one small point. Cheers.

Wasn't Nate's night. It happens.

fight starts at 1:40.

I agree on other things you said but "beatdown"? No. It was competitive up until the kick that Nate leaned into and lead to the TKO.
Btw, wth was wrong with Thomson in the 1st round? At some point he landed two punches in the back of Nate's head while standing. Not that it affected anything but it was kinda shitty.

First time watching this fight so thanks for posting it. Back when I was looking for it I couldn't find it anywhere.

1. Diaz vs Thomson fight wasnt boring.
2. Thomson wasnt lucky at all, he was moving well and kicked Diaz multiple times to the head or to the leg.
3. Pettis is a better kicker, he is faster and he can change his stance without any problems.
4. Diaz have not only wide stance, he always leaning his position to the side when opponent can counter him via the strongest leg kick without risk that Diaz can check it. Look f.e. 3.35 minute in this video. Thomson could kick him without 0% chance of checking this kick. In this position you cant check it, you cant.

I don't agree with everything but you have some good points there.

I'll just say, this fight isn't the easiest one to place a bet.
Personally I'm going with Nate (and one of the reasons is, of course, that I'm a fan) but this is a really good matchup.

The extreme confidence that some have comes from believing that Pettis will circle for 3 rounds and gather points (which is all around sad really).
Others look at the fight vs Thomson but.....I don't think such thing will happen again. Some people see it as a bluepring but I see it as an one-time kind of a thing.

Oh well. the fight is around the corner so we'll see what happens, won't we.

Thomson was fucking Nate up entire fight, lol nothing Condit like about that performance.

I mean, Nate's face had already been mask of blood before KTFO.

Op. Called it. Said on another thread that Pettis's footwork is awful. He can't stay out of trouble, so can't relieve pressure.

Op. Called it. Said on another thread that Pettis's footwork is awful. He can't stay out of trouble, so can't relieve pressure.

Yeah, all these people saying Pettis would glide around the cage like a ballerina, landing leg kicks at will and avoiding all of Nate's punches...where did THAT idea come from? Certainly not from his prior fights vs. Barboza, Holloway, Poirier, etc.

I was impressed by Nate, he actually mixed it up a bit more than usual. I think he needs to get the scar tissue removed on his face, he does seem to cut a bit quicker than he used to.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back