Pettis is the best fighter in the world today

its still way to early for that kinda talk. hes good. but lets face it. he is underactive. and lost to clay guida... there are so many great matchups at 155. he went on a great tear and won and has defended the belt but hes not even close to really making a "legacy" yet.
Cain lost to JDS, GSP lost to Hughes, Lawler lost to Diaz, Jones couldn't beat Hamill.

Yeah. It's always smart to judge a fighter off of one loss. You're right, Pettis lost to Guida, he will never be that good because of it.

Lots of Weidman cool aid in this post

1. Mouse
2. Aldo
3. Rhino Rousey
4. Velasquez
5. Jones
6. Pettis
7. Dillashaw
8. Weidman
9. Lawler

Putting Weidman below TJ is asinine. You also wayyyy overrate Cain. The guy has fought 2 people in the last 3 years.

Guida style.

joke.gif

What?? The guy fought Guida, then Lauzon, Stephens and Cerrone to get his title shot. Not exactly climbing the mountain here.

Guida style.
Ostensibly yes, but bear in mind it's a lot easier to win a three-rounder that way compared to a five rounder. Plus Khabib's gas tank isn't exactly breathtaking.

I just really don't see Khabib beating Pettis without taking him down OVER AND OVER AGAIN, literally forty times, without gassing or getting finished.

The fact that Pettis has 25min to piss on the scorecards really sucks for his opponents, to be honest.

1. Mouse
2. Aldo
3. Rhino Rousey
4. Velasquez
5. Jones
6. Pettis
7. Dillashaw
8. Weidman
9. Lawler

Weidman at #8??? Thats insane

Guida style.

I know its a running joke. But in all seriousness I Dont think wrestling will be a problem anymore. Pettis's takedown defense has improved a ridiculous amount. He has become great at using the fence to stop takedowns, and when he is taken down he is capable of getting up really fast or catching them with a sub in his slick guard. The only way to beat him would be someone with better striking(doesnt exist at LW) that can also mix it up with elite wrestling. Khabib has the wrestling but that wont be enough. Pettis will stop most of the takedowns and just end up lighting khabib up standing.

He's the most talented fighter in the ufc.

Jones has been blocking punches with his face as of late and hasn't finished in nearly 2 years

Dude he got beat up by Clay Guida. He's improved since then but Pettis is maybe lower top 10 at this point, but he is no where near Cain, Jones, Aldo, and Weidman.

Pettis needs to do a WHOLE lot more before anyone could make that claim.

What?? The guy fought Guida, then Lauzon, Stephens and Cerrone to get his title shot. Not exactly climbing the mountain here.

Doesn't matter how he got there, look what happened after getting the shot, he subs bendo, who even though people hate his style is a LW legend, and the does the same to Gil, another LW legend, hes finishing these guts with what us considered his second best tool with his grappling, because we all know his striking is his best. I like RDJ, but hes getting wrecked too, and Cerrone who is mr bad ass around here got wrecked quickly as well, landed 1 significant strike, and that wad when petyis was trolling him with cartwheel kicks

1. Mouse
2. Aldo
3. Rhino Rousey
4. Velasquez
5. Jones
6. Pettis
7. Dillashaw
8. Weidman
9. Lawler

This list is so bad you have to be trolling. This is the correct order:

1. Jones
2. Aldo
3. Weidman
4. Cain
5. Mouse
6. Pettis
7. Dillashaw
8. Lawler

Mouse and Cain are dominant but are in the weakest two divisions, so I can't rank them any higher

Last edited:
He's the most talented fighter in the ufc.

Jones has been blocking punches with his face as of late and hasn't finished in nearly 2 years

Hes finished lines...

Strange because I consider him one of the weakest recent UFC champs.

My ranking (maybe I'm wrong)
1. Mighty Mouse
2. Ronda
3. Jones
4. Weidman
5. Aldo
6. Welasquez
7. Pettis
8. Dillashow
9. Lawler

Lmao

You make good points and I agree Jones body of work is way better than Pettis. When I consider the question of who is the best today the past body of work is not as important to me as most people would consider it. The question I would ask myself is "which fighter is most likely to go out and look the best in his next fight?" When I ask myself that question, the answer is Pettis. I could certainly be proven wrong but that is my hunch right now.

I can see that. Off the top of my head I can't remember anyone who made finishing high level opponents look at easy as Pettis does. Anderson silva comes to mind but that's it.

But for me heart and the ability to come back from adversity is very important. So I put Jones at another level right now. I have a feeling Weidman might turn out to be even better though.

Back