Pettis has zero heart

Judge Lance Ito

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
All the talent in the world but always folds given the slightest bit of adversary.
Insta-tapping, feigning injuries, the dude has no backbone

All the talent in the world but always folds given the slightest bit of adversary.
Oh yeah, the guy with some of the most iconic comebacks in ufc history has no heart. OK

One of the best gatekeepers in the game. He’ll make a fine Bellator fighter some day.

I agree, don't know what wrong with that guy, I thought he was reborn after the Wonderboy fight and was going to go on a fucking tear lol.

I agree.

The vision of him squatting down, back against the cage, huddled-up, is the recurring theme in virtually all his fights against good competition.

Imagen someone telling you that the fomer UFC Lightweight champion will be 9-9 in the UFC.

im not a pettis fan at all but he survived an onslaught against dos anjos. pettis has a lot of heart

Imagen someone telling you that the fomer UFC Lightweight champion will be 9-9 in the UFC. You still tune it to watch Showtime fight.

He had enormous hype behind him, up to a point where he was talked about as the pound for pound best in the world, with insane Matrix like footwork and striking, and that Showtime kick just exploded his hype, and deservedly so, but he just isn't or wasn't well rounded enough, but good fighter, he's still going lol, barely, he's living off that Showtime kick like Odell Beckham with that catch, one fucking miracle catch and he's coined the greatest fucking wide receiver of all time, lol what a joke, look where he is now, the hype is over lol.

A hell of a lot more than Cerrone, that's for damn sure

I agree, don't know what wrong with that guy, I thought he was reborn after the Wonderboy fight and was going to go on a fucking tear lol.

His problem is very similar to Condit’s in my opinion- he has skills standing and very good submission skills to boot but he is so prone to getting muscled around that many good fighters can take him out of his game and very much truncate his paths to victory.

remember, the vast majority of their victories come from finishes. If they can’t find that opportunity for the submission or the knockout strikes, they are unlikely to win. Because they almost assuredly are not controlling the tempo of the fight or initiating the grappling exchanges.

We know, emphatically, that takedown defense is one of the most important elements of the game. Guys like Usman and Colby already have a major leg up because they can dictate the terms of the fight- not only with offensive wrestling but with the inability of other fighters to take/keep them down.

I love Pettis. He can be very entertaining, but he does not fight well when his opponent applies pressure.

Like Cowboy, the gameplan for Pettis has been laid out, demonstrated and can be executed and followed to victory by fighters with the appropriate skills.

It doesn't help that he is only fighting killers.

I agree. It looked like he quit in there.

He realized his opponent wasn't going to stand and bang, and he wasn't prepared to defend takedowns. He was tired. He wanted out of the fight. Pretty shameful IMO, but only Pettis knows how tight that submission was.

I cringe when regular dudes on a karate forum question the heart of a professional fighter. He gets in the cage and fights for a living. Maybe he doesn't have a high pain threshold, or lost some drive but he still makes that walk. That walk takes heart.

Yup, if he had heart he'd be posting on Sherdog like a real warrior, instead of training and fighting MMA.

Back