Pettis didn't show TKD over Karate

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I saw that some people were saying how Pettis win is somehow reflection on TKD being superior over Karate.

tenor.gif

First, I made a thread about how Pettis had better chance than most people gave credit for, and I believe only people who shit on Wonderboy is actually people who thought Pettis had no chance. Also those people are probably same people who is saying TKD over Karate from that.

Pettis had his hands up and used his low kicks. If you ask me, it was similar to Shogun vs Machida. That was very similar to how classic muay thai would go about his business against Karateka, especially americanized version of extreme side way stance.

Pettis from my understanding is a third degree black belt in TKD with not much accomplishment, even locally. I knew a third degree black belt who was under 10 years old. Thomson was an undefeated kickboxer with his karate background.

There are only three guys from my understanding who would be somewhat equivalent of Thomson in TKD. That would be Zelg Galesic from ITF, and Hong young Gi from ROAD fc who is probably a journeyman at best but still probably the best WTF taekwondo fighter who actually competed in MMA and tried to make a career out of it, as he competed for Taekwondo korean national team spot, which is probably as good as it gets when it comes to Taekwondo.

To me, that win came from a very good strategy by the coach and executed to perfection by a fighter who came in great shape, a lot of heart and determination. What it doesn't show however is in any shape or form that TKD had anything to do with it. If anything, that was Muay thai 101, hands up, simple combination and low kicks, though Pettis mixed in a couple flash kicks that didn't do nothing.

Interestingly, when Raymond Daniels was fighting Valentini in Glory kickboxing, who also is a dynamite striker somewhat similar to Thompson, and Daniels also got knocked the fuck out, I believe Roufus was a commentator and talking about how you are supposed to fight guys like Daniels. If anyone was well suited to coach a fighter against that style in MMA, Pettis probably had the right guy for that.

Who said this? Pettis was fighting with way more of a kickboxing/Muay Thai style against Wonderboy. I thought it was pretty obvious due to his stance, guard and how he was trying to counter Wonderboy with thai style kicks and overhands.

Last edited:
Dude won with a superman punch.

Shit was UFC Undisputed on the Xbox style... MMA all day. Karate/TKD, for all their hype that fight didn't matter in the end.

Yupp

Noticed he was staying in pretty strict MT guard from the start which seemed unusual for him. Very interesting strategic fight

It shows MT > Karate.

Something his coach learnt once he saw his brother get his ass kicked.

If Pettis wouldve used a TKD approach, he woulda got KTFO.

The leg kicks were critical against any sideways stance fighter, they set the stage for the hands to follow.

If Pettis wouldve used a TKD approach, he woulda got KTFO.

The leg kicks were critical against any sideways stance fighter, they set the stage for the hands to follow.

Yep, guys who stand like that rely heavily on footwork and when you slow them down it makes them a lot easier to hit.

Wonderboy's kickboxing record is nothing to brag about

Lol at questioning Pettis's TKD belt's validity in the same sentence where you discuss Thompson's undefeated kickboxing career against random bums in South Carolina in the Chuck Norris kickboxing league

Surprised TS didn't say calf kicks are underrated…
{<jordan}

Lol at questioning Pettis's TKD belt's validity in the same sentence where you discuss Thompson's undefeated kickboxing career against random bums in South Carolina in the Chuck Norris kickboxing league

Still a billion times better than Pettis's

This sport has as much to do with having a great chin as it does with having great striking skills. Wonderboy has great skill but his chin is glass, that's why he gets dropped. I don't really blame his losses on his skill as much as his chin.

This sport has as much to do with having a great chin as it does with having great striking skills. Wonderboy has great skill but his chin is glass, that's why he gets dropped. I don't really blame his losses on his skill as much as his chin.

I don't think his chin is bad, he just relies a lot on footwork to avoid shots rather than having a good guard, it seems to be a common thing for Karate style fighters. They also like to create collisions and when you fight with that style sometimes you get countered really hard or where you can't roll with the shot to take some of the force off it.

Glass chin? He'd never been finished in a fight before Pettis.

I don't think his chin is bad, he just relies a lot on footwork to avoid shots rather than having a good guard, it seems to be a common thing for Karate style fighters. They also like to create collisions and when you fight with that style sometimes you get countered really hard or where you can't roll with the shot to take some of the force off it.

The shots that he gets knocked down don't seem particularly hard, IMHO.

His hands were down and he had no where to roll with the strike nor did he see it.

I've seen a lot of guys take multiple shots like that and it doesn't rock them at all, this isn't the case with Wonderboy.....i.e. no chin.

Back