Peter's quote from Civil War

Horse Style

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
"When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen? They happen because of you."

Does anyone agree with this quote? He's basically saying if something bad happens when you have the ability to stop it, it becomes your fault.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Very weird way to look at things. So any time in life where you have the ability to prevent something or help out a situation but you don't, whatever happens afterwards is your fault? lol

Very weird way to look at things. So any time in life where you have the ability to prevent something or help out a situation but you don't, whatever happens afterwards is your fault? lol

Yes.

Whether or not you care is your decision.

It's hard to say. I wouldn't say the quote is 100% true, but it's not 100% untrue.

Nice example of the bystander effect. It doesn't really strengthen your side of the matter, however.

I'm still waiting for some good reasoning why someone not acting on a situation suddenly becomes at fault for wherever that situation leads to

People aren't obligated to do anything for anyone else. It's just unfortunate how often they do nothing.

Yes. In many situations you can be legally penalized for doing nothing.

A question of moral obligation. I go back and forth on this a lot. If I saw a man grab a woman into a dark alley at night, and I'm the only person around to help, it would be a pretty crappy thing to do to let it happen without any level of intervention. However, people do it all the time, especially in places like NYC. Perhaps a more obvious example would be a baby that crawls into a pool. If the baby crawls into the water, where it will inevitably drown, the person who sees that baby would have a moral obligation to intervene.

However, I don't believe that a government has the obligation to intervene whenever a malevolent dictator abuses their own people. Nor do I think that if a stranger is getting his ass kicked by 4 dudes that I would need to jump in and try to stop it. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life breathing through a tube or getting shot because some asshole spouted his mouth off to a guy and his friends, resulting in the whooping he might have deserved.

I guess it ultimately comes down to cost for the intervener. If they can stop an evil without undue personal costs, they should probably do so. Right?

People aren't obligated to do anything for anyone else. It's just unfortunate how often they do nothing.
I don't think it's unfortunate they do nothing. I think it's unfortunate how only a few people can appreciate perspective.

You could be in a setting that's unsettling (like alone on a dark path, late at night) and then you hear a scream. The vast majority would run away from the scream, not towards it.

A question of moral obligation. I go back and forth on this a lot. If I saw a man grab a woman into a dark alley at night, and I'm the only person around to help, it would be a pretty crappy thing to do to let it happen without any level of intervention. However, people do it all the time, especially in places like NYC. Perhaps a more obvious example would be a baby that crawls into a pool. If the baby crawls into the water, where it will inevitably drown, the person who sees that baby would have a moral obligation to intervene.

However, I don't believe that a government has the obligation to intervene whenever a malevolent dictator abuses their own people. Nor do I think that if a stranger is getting his ass kicked by 4 dudes that I would need to jump in and try to stop it. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life breathing through a tube or getting shot because some asshole spouted his mouth off to a guy and his friends, resulting in the whooping he might have deserved.

I guess it ultimately comes down to cost for the intervener. If they can stop an evil without undue personal costs, they should probably do so. Right?

I've seen dozens of people walk by ridiculous shit without doing anything. I expect complete indifference from bystanders in all situations. Once in a blue moon I am pleasantly surprised.

According to Peter's quote, if you do nothing about the getting beat by 4 dudes, it's somehow your fault that the guy gets hurt/killed lol

Oh, really? Let's hear some of these many situations.

Really just if someone is under your charge (eg. your kid), if you're professionally obliged to help in certain circumstances, or if you somehow contributed to the situation where the person is now endangered.

According to Peter's quote, if you do nothing about the getting beat by 4 dudes, it's somehow your fault that the guy gets hurt/killed lol

I think Peter was taking an exaggerated approach to describe the responsibilities of a superhero.

Really just if someone is under your charge (eg. your kid), if you're professionally obliged to help in certain circumstances, or if you somehow contributed to the situation where the person is now endangered.
This is not the type of situations we're talking about.

I think Peter was taking an exaggerated approach to describe the responsibilities of a superhero.
I think it's exaggerated and rather foolish tbh, but I wonder who agreed with it outright. The notion that it's my fault that a homeless person went hungry for the day because I didn't give him a couple bucks when I had the chance is absurd.

I think it's exaggerated and rather foolish tbh, but I wonder who agreed with it outright. The notion that it's my fault that a homeless person went hungry for the day because I didn't give him a couple bucks when I had the chance is absurd.

Back