Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

There was that incident with a russian rapper last year, Khabib wrote a 'heartfelt' message about the guy on Instagram, it had to be removed because it contained some rude words to say the least, he called him a rooster, and other 'orientated' words which in russian is supposed to be super offending. I was surprised to see Khabib go that far. I dont think I ever heard Khabib swear at all, at least not in english.

Link?

Shogun Rua has a VERY heavy southern Brazilian accent. It is hard for brazilians to understand him :)

Obvious question: what about Khabib? I speak some Russian and to my ears he sounds distinctively "foreign-ish", i.e. non-native speaker.

Yeah, he speaks with a noticeable accent. Lots of people from North Caucasus do. His father, Zabit, Islam etc.

I've met Dagestanis speaking without an accent but all of them grew up in (predominantly) Russian cities, went to Russian schools etc. Not the case with Khabib and his crew.

Last edited:
Ponzinibbio- He comes across as not too highly educated, not necessarily hood, but maybe a little bit, seems like humble origins.

Tony - His Spanish is quite bad, comparable to Anderson’s English or something like that. Tons of grammar mistakes and has to resort to English for simple things, people would place him as a foreigner who learned for a couple years based on how he speaks. None of his quirks come through because he’s too busy expressing basic things.

Valentina’s Spanish- Really very good, way better than Tony’s for example. Strong Russian accent, which is quite charming, but very few grammar mistakes, good vocabulary and can speak fluently during long interviews. Might get a bit lost when describing technical mma terms in Spanish.

Masvidal- His cuban accent is pretty cool. 100% fluent and has the same laid back street charm as in English.

Yoel- I’ve heard people disagree, but to me he comes across as very smart and articulate, almost wise or mystical, good vocabulary and elaborate thoughts. Good storyteller. He doesn’t come across ‘street’ or anything to me, although I’m not cuban.

Last edited:
For those of you who don't speak english;
Sage Northcutts way of speaking is reflective of the streets in poverty stricken american. He's always talking about gang banging and killing people with his bare hands. He is the epitome of rough around the edges.
<{outtahere}><36><{MingNope}>{<jordan}<{yahyou}>
Gold lmao

GSP sounds kinda nervous or reserved in French, it's like his interviews are much more formal than how he usually speaks.

I'm currently listening to a Quebecois translating to a French speaking African and their accents aren't nearly as thick as GSP's

Robert Whittaker has a working class south Sydney accent with a bit of Samoan thrown in. Sounds non-pretentious and humble (which is the goal of the average Australian when speaking).

Alexander Volkanovski has a wog (Australian-Greek in his case) accent. Very popular with immigrants from the Mediterranean. A tough, working class and proudly ethnic vernacular. He fights from Wollongong which is the next town (city) south of where Whittaker fights from funnily enough.

Mark Hunt has a Samoan and New Zealander Islander, working class Australian (western Sydney) mix of an accent. Comes across as chilled and relaxed, as do most islanders.

Megan Anderson has a upper working class Queensland accent. She’s no Steve Irwin but she’ll americanise words and generally sound like she’s on a mission to speak to the manager. A real Karen. Sounds ridiculous talking tough, with her height and that voice if she was any of an athlete she’d be playing netball.

True!

I remember that time when he had an altercation with Nate Diaz. He said to Nate "I'll fuck you until you love me, you fucking skinny mexican" and Nate said "Listen here, you ignorant fool, race related comments do not have their place this society full of institutional racism. Read a book, educate yourself, be better"
<Lmaoo><45><Lmaoo><45>
Fucking brilliant, i wish i had a like left!

There is no link anymore it was last year or two years ago, when Khabib had this rant about that rap concert that got canceled in Dagestan. Some famous russian rapper called him out inviting him to be more tolerant and reconsider, Khabib replied with a colorful choice of words, which had to be removed from Instagram.

Here's one : https://www.rt.com/sport/438206-khabib-nurmagomedov-russian-rap-stars/

Thank you. Yeah I know that Rap Concert thing and not cared for it but didn't know he was dissing Timati that hard.

When it comes to Russian UFC fighters, Volkov is probably the most articulate and intelligent one during his interviews; has quite a lot of personality as well. He graduated from one of the most prestigious and hardest to get into Russian tech universities after all (he studied to become a space rocket engineer or something IIRC). Pretty sure he'll do fine for himself after his career is over.

There's an obvious gap in education and upbringing between him and, let's say, a guy like Yan.

Last edited:
Gus speaks like a regular middle-class Swede - simple and straightforward. Also honest or critical of himself. He's kept the same tone when becoming prominent, which makes it endearing, as the upper class mannerisms are serious and even uptight in contrast. At those galas.

He has a pretty good personality when speaking Swedish but absolutely zero personality when speaking English

Zhang Wei Li

She speaks as though she lacks a proper education (guessing she was brought up through sports schools which are quite unique in China), right off the bat her accent is something of a lowly village girl, even looks wise it is obvious she isn’t from a developed part of China.

Yet, she comes across as very nice and somewhat girly, but also her patriotic nature leads me to believe she is 100% behind her nation and will argue for the mainland which I detest extremely.

Really? I'm not a native Chinese speaker and that definitely interferes with my ability to distinguish such things, but to me her accent just sounds like 普通话 with a generic northern accent (hebei/shandong). What about her accent gives you the feeling she's a lowly village girl?

Shogun sounds effeminate.

Paulo Costa in unremakable, maybe because we are from the same town I don't get any accent from him. He kinda has a lisp tho.

Wand souns like a neandertal

Anderson talks soft and in a low tone, kinda like he's being manipulative.

Gilbert has a regular Rio accent, but without sounding like a douche, like most people from Rio do.

Sim, Paulo Costa pra mim tem um sotaque neutro (Eu não sou do estado dele)

You must not be very gifted in terms of language to have needed 5 mn to realise that the French-Canadians were speaking French.

It's one thing for a French person to have trouble understanding French-Canadians, which I can understand. Some French Canadians can't articulate for shit and use expressions which are heavily marked by the old-French origins + bastardisation coming from the English language.

HOWEVER, not to recognise a word after 5 minutes? Dude, fuck off. I think you simply look down on us and belong to this minority of French people who are arrogant fucksticks and are hated everywhere.
Yeah that's weird.
Polynesians and Quebecois are the weirdest french accents but it's definetly not that hard to understand.

Yairs true idgaf troll ball busting mexican self came to light vs Jeremias Esteban. He seems to have come from money tho, given his cadence and choice of words. Idk. I believe hes from the north of México or maybe the capital. People from the north are more reserved and stern while capital people tend to joke around a lot more.

True!

I remember that time when he had an altercation with Nate Diaz. He said to Nate "I'll fuck you until you love me, you fucking skinny mexican" and Nate said "Listen here, you ignorant fool, race related comments do not have their place this society full of institutional racism. Read a book, educate yourself, be better"

Back