Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

Anyone cares to hear about Vettori? He has your typical italian north-eastern accent but you really need to be italian to know about this. When speaking his native language he sounds more relaxed but not sophisticated. I must say his English is pretty good and it gives a good reflection of what he's like...
And btw he has a lovely and firm beach ass

Last edited:
Bas Rutten is from the south - which is were I'm from - and speaks with quite a thick accent. Southerners are ridiculed (all in good fun) often because of their accent. They/we speak with a soft G which most languages don't know at all. Everyone not from the south in the Netherlands speaks with a "hard" G which is more akin to the Arab-sounding throat-gargly sound. The latter is regarded as being more "correct".

I have flashbacks of trying to find a train to Tilburg and nobody understanding what city I was talking about because I pronounced the -burg part like an English speaking person would say it in "Hamburg". Then some guy from the station hit me with "oh, you mean TilbuRRR!"

Francis Ngannou has the typical West African accent when speaking French but it is not very pronounced, and he's always very articulate when he's answering interviewer's questions in French

He has a nice soft-spoken tone in both language, I really love his interviews!

Anyone cares to hear about Vettori? He has your typical italian north-eastern accent but you really need to be italian to know about this. When speaking his native language he sounds more relaxed but not sophisticated. I must say his English is pretty good and it gives a good reflection of what he's like...
Is there a German influence? Dude looks a lot more Germanic than typical Italian. Pretty sure a majority of the people in that area are ethnic Germans.

Is there a German influence? Dude looks a lot more Germanic than typical Italian. Pretty sure a majority of the people in that area are ethnic Germans.

There might be a german-austrian influence in his ethnicity because of the region he's from: Trentino-Aldo Adige. In Trentino it's mostly italians speaking italian with a sort of a Venetian sounding accent; in Alto Adige (aka Sudtirol in German) the majority language is German (62% of the population), although in the capital city Bolzano around 70% of the population speaks Italian as its maternal language due to internal immigration from other regions of Italy.

He may have the looks, but does not sound german at all when speaking italian

Interesting, the north/south difference makes some sense geographically. Nordic European countries have a soft G and then the Germans have a hard G
Good point there. Danish for instance sounds a lot like Dutch. Most professional football / soccer players from Nordic countries pick the language up pretty quickly.

I have flashbacks of trying to find a train to Tilburg and nobody understanding what city I was talking about because I pronounced the -burg part like an English speaking person would say it in "Hamburg". Then some guy from the station hit me with "oh, you mean TilbuRRR!"

He has a nice soft-spoken tone in both language, I really love his interviews!
I get that! Rutten is from Tilburg if I'm not mistaken. Dialect is pretty thick there as well. It's half an hour drive away from me but once they get going on their dialect I can't make out half of it. The Netherlands is pretty peculiar in that way, very small country but with large cultural and lingual differences in places

Volkan Oezdemir speaks French very well with almost no Swiss accent. His French interviews are very enjoyable, much more relaxed than the English ones.
his french interviews are excellent, he's extremely humble, relaxed and REAL. good guy.
To add something to the thread, Gane seem to have a case of false humility, he'll tell you about how athletic he is and how he could've done any sport because he's a "natural". He also doesn't sound very bright.

Last edited:
Gus speaks like a regular middle-class Swede - simple and straightforward. Also honest or critical of himself. He's kept the same tone when becoming prominent, which makes it endearing, as the upper class mannerisms are serious and even uptight in contrast. At those galas.

I speak French and yet I have trouble understanding Gsp when he speaks french because of his accent.

Volkan speaks very clearly.
Ngannou has an camerounian accent but not a crazy strong one.

Tony kinda sounds like a american kid learning spanish

-Wand is actually well spoken, at least compared to what he sounds like in english.
-Paulo Costa is unremarkable, can't find a word to describe him other than regular dude. Seems like a nice guy.
-Aldo is weird, he sounds hyperactive or something, it's like his mouth can't keep up with his mind. Cares a lot about his legacy.
-Shogun and Ninja were always hard to understand, but nowadays Shogun is really hard to listen to. He probably has the worst CTE of all the brazilian old school fighters.
-Anderson sounds fake as all hell, kinda like early Jon Jones. He always rubbed me and a lot of other brazilians the wrong way.

Overeem in dutch sounds very softspoken and intelligent. Like if I would hear him speak in dutch without seeing him I wouldn't think it's a giant of a man who can probably fuck up most people on this planet.

Btw, this is actually a pretty interesting interview. Overeem talks about how he got into MMA, how he got into Japan, how he got into K1 and his first fight with Badr, etc. It's in dutch but there are english subtitles.

Last edited:
I speak French and yet I have trouble understanding Gsp when he speaks french because of his accent.

One day I was on vacation in a non-French speaking country and I was alone in a small shop with a random family. I was eavesdropping a bit and it took me over five minutes to realize that they were speaking French because of their strong French-Canadian accent. The tahitian accent might be even stronger, then you get to the various French Creoles and it's not even the same language anymore.

As for English accents, I seriously can't understand half of what Paul Craig says unless I really focus. Then I understand about 70%.

Last edited:
As much as I love the dude, Cain Velasquez’s spanish is terrible! You could tell he didn’t speak that shit AT ALL growing up lol

I always thought my spanish was bad (I only had to speak it when I spoke to either of my grandmothers), but that dude really struggles to express himself or get a point across in spanish.

One day I was on vacation in a non-French speaking country and I was alone in a small shop with a random family. Took me over five minutes to realize that they were speaking French because of their strong French-Canadian accent. The tahitian accent might be even stronger, then you get to the various French Creoles and it's not even the same language anymore.

As for English accents, I seriously can't understand half of what Paul Craig says unless I really focus. Then I understand about 70%.

You must not be very gifted in terms of language to have needed 5 mn to realise that the French-Canadians were speaking French.

It's one thing for a French person to have trouble understanding French-Canadians, which I can understand. Some French Canadians can't articulate for shit and use expressions which are heavily marked by the old-French origins + bastardisation coming from the English language.

HOWEVER, not to recognise a word after 5 minutes? Dude, fuck off. I think you simply look down on us and belong to this minority of French people who are arrogant fucksticks and are hated everywhere.

Back