Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

Tony kinda sounds like a american kid learning spanish
My spanish isnt that good,but I can tell when people speak english alot more than spanish when I hear them talk.

-Anderson sounds fake as all hell, kinda like early Jon Jones. He always rubbed me and a lot of other brazilians the wrong way.
Same! all that fake crying after the diaz fight,the fake humilty in sharp contrast to the unbelievable arrogance shown in alot of his fights. Its one of the things that makes it not just hard to like him,but to wonder what the hell kind of a guy he really is..

This is a GREAT goddamn thread btw.

I got to attend one of Khabib's seminars back when in 2015 when he was trying to come back from his injuries. So yes,i believe he has many facets to his personality that somehow is not hypocritical of each other,he just has halves to him. He is definitley supremely confident guy who takes absolutley no shit from anyone,but tries to use the fact that he is a role model to many people,to keep HIMSELF in check,and tries to spread that to others. He even said its hard to be humble when you are as good as he is. He's also really funny,def a joker.

Ponzinibbio- He comes across as not too highly educated, not necessarily hood, but maybe a little bit, seems like humble origins.

Tony - His Spanish is quite bad, comparable to Anderson’s English or something like that. Tons of grammar mistakes and has to resort to English for simple things, people would place him as a foreigner who learned for a couple years based on how he speaks. None of his quirks come through because he’s too busy expressing basic things.

Valentina’s Spanish- Really very good, way better than Tony’s for example. Strong Russian accent, which is quite charming, but very few grammar mistakes, good vocabulary and can speak fluently during long interviews. Might get a bit lost when describing technical mma terms in Spanish.

Masvidal- His cuban accent is pretty cool. 100% fluent and has the same laid back street charm as in English.

Yoel- I’ve heard people disagree, but to me he comes across as very smart and articulate, almost wise or mystical, good vocabulary and elaborate thoughts. Good storyteller. He doesn’t come across ‘street’ or anything to me, although I’m not cuban.
hahaha Yoel DOES seem wise and mystical

Khabib has a very different personality in Russian than in English, because so much of his shtick in America is connected to the humor of his weird grammar and pronunciation. In Russian, he has an obvious Caucasian accent, but he is also quite articulate and thoughtful in most situations. Yet there is also a harder edge that comes out sometimes. I don't want to say that he is "fake" when he speaks more honorably, like a humble sportsman. It's more like he sincerely believes that is the proper way to conduct himself, but sometimes his rough side comes out. You can take the man out of the mountains, but you can't take the mountains out of the man.
Yep, I cant give anymore likes,but i would like this. Couldnt have put it any better.

Reactions: 99
They are about the same, but Yan isn’t hiding it really, Khabib is since he’s now a huge public figure in that part of Russia.
Hiding isnt a good term. Khabib isnt hiding it,he just came up rough and it comes out from time to time. Whereas Yan is "the rough" 24/7

I should mention that Khabib can also be very funny in Russian. He makes clever jokes and likes to play pranks. You see some of that in English, but the jokes are different. In Russian, he isn't the punchline, he's the comedian.

Also, Khabib is *EXTREMELY* technical when discussing martial arts in Russian. His instructional course is truly a master class in sambo. I have been grappling for most of my life, and learned some great nuances from Khabib's teaching. I actually find him to be a much more systematic and technical thinker than Fedor, whose skills are undeniable but whose ability to discuss the technical details of grappling is inferior to Khabib.
I got to take one of his seminars. It made me a fan of his for life. I was already a big fan but when I saw he was teaching on my city,i completley lost my mind.

Anderson: crazy
Wanderlei: crazy but in a funny way
Royce: crazy
Werdum: funnier
Paulo Costa: articulate and smart. Good trash talker
Vitor: articulate but fake. Sounds like Mir
Nogueiras: proud and calm. Don't take losses well
Aldo: humble and shy
Lyoto: just like you imagine
Jacaré: a bit of a dick
Amanda: 60% crazy

Yes, the Rua brothers have terrible diction. It's hilarious.
Can i hear more about Nog,Jacare and Amanda? What losses did Nog not take well. I believe it but im curious. Remember when Fedor had beaten Nogueira,but Nogueira had battled back and beat Cro cop,and so they made the 4 biggest names Fedor,Nog,CroCop and Ogawa (lol) were all in the ring during the opening ceremony,and I never seen Nogueira so serious. He wanted to fucking get revenge on Fedor so bad. Then when the heads clashed in the finals and ended in a NC. Fedor went to amusement parks in japan and Nog had said in an interview somewhere that he was fuckin pissed at Fedor enjoying himself hahahah. Thats how bad he wanted to win!

Peter Aerts has the same southern accent as Bas Rutten but he really sounds low IQ because of head trauma I think
This makes me sad,but the guy has been fighting for 35 (!) years...

Only one I can talk about is Marvin Vettori, as other Italian fighters are fucking ghosts.

He seems douchy, his interviews in English are super confident but that's because it's what he thinks will be beneficial of him.
He's always declaring how he's one of the best middleweights, how all is losses are robberies, shit like this.
But he seems to be open to self-analyzing so it may be a façade.

His accent sounds a little watered down but you can clearly tell where he's from (around Trento).
Tell us about Legionarius

Can someone please tell us how about Stipe's English?

;)

I speak fluent Russian and Polish so...

Petr Yan comes off as a bit of a chav but it's because he was raised in a chav-ish city with crime and drugs being common. Actually, I am quite impressed that he has made it this far coming from an arguably shithole part of Russia. I will be rooting for him in the title fight.

Jan Blachowicz used to rub me the wrong way in KSW but he's gotten a lot more modest and serious about training in the UFC (probably gained perspective, he used to be a big fish in a small pond) and I find myself rooting for him often. He's developed an English sense of humor too, as evidenced by the recent trolling of Jones, haha.

Fedor used to be every Russian fan's sweetheart, so modest, so kind, so honest and frank. At some point he joined the Russian ruling political party tho and started responding with "God's will" to almost every question - both of these facts diminished my fandom. Russians still mostly root for him tho.

Aleks E. is just horrible. He's an insane, psychotic alcoholic. He's made friends with Kadyrov. He gets shitfaced a lot. Gets arrested and acts like that's a good thing. Talks mad shit all the time. Almost nobody likes him. Ugh.

Any other details you wanna know about anyone - ask me.

So Petr Yan is from the hood? He gives off those vibes for sure and I don't speak a lick of Russian lol.

He just seems like the type of dude who would put a knife in you.

Charles Oliveira?

I'm also interested in seeing if some of the people I get the impression of being very friendly are like that in their native language.

Sergio Moraes
Omari Akhmedov
Karolina

Claudia Gadelha seems kind of hood to me, is that the right impression?

Does Yair come of as a whiny douche in Spanish?
Charles do Bronx seems like a nice guy. He’s got a really pronounced “hood” way of speaking but is polite. Really energetic and happy. Seems like a family guy, also.

Maia sounds well-spoken in Portuguese. São Paulo accent. He’s from an upper-class background I’m pretty sure. If you remember Silva calling him “boy” way back when they fought, that’s why. “Boy” being slang for a rich kid.

Anyways, my uncle trained with him in Alliance in the late 90’s and only had good things to say about the guy.

So Petr Yan is from the hood? He gives off those vibes for sure and I don't speak a lick of Russian lol.

He just seems like the type of dude who would put a knife in you.
Yes he is. And from a real backwater hood too. Glad he's putting his energy into MMA instead of mugging ppl. :D I like that MMA was able to pull so many kids from streets and into gyms.

By the way if anyone is interested, this is Khabib's mother tongue, the Avar language. It's one of the weirdest sounding language I have ever heard:

Swiss-german takes the crown of weirdness. When my wife speaks to her mother in swiss-german is like hearing Donald Duck on meth. Awful stuff.

Ngannou: very calm articulate and well-spoken, little African accent
GSP: sounds like a kid who is trying to get a great grade by using sophisticated words without completely knowing their meaning
Volkan: very calm, relaxed guy, Swiss accent
Gökhan Saki: has a "brother" vibe, jokes around, warm personality. Clearly has an accent speaking Turkish though, he has gotten better, used to only form simple sentences with limited vocabulary

Would love to hear about Mousasi's Armenian or Farsi, Arlovski's Russian, Macedo's Spanish

Charles do Bronx seems like a nice guy. He’s got a really pronounced “hood” way of speaking but is polite. Really energetic and happy. Seems like a family guy, also.
Would not say hood more like urban. Burns also speaks that way he uses a lot of slang and so on but really he's like the brazilian wonderboy he's a very nice guy

Maia sounds well-spoken in Portuguese. São Paulo accent. He’s from an upper-class background I’m pretty sure. If you remember Silva calling him “boy” way back when they fought, that’s why. “Boy” being slang for a rich kid.

Anyways, my uncle trained with him in Alliance in the late 90’s and only had good things to say about the guy.
He was calling him playboy witch is slang for rich kid... But maia isn't from a rich background, more like low middleclass silva was just really poor

Back