Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

I didn't know Remy interviews people. I've always thought he came off arrogant compared to other Dutch fighters (because he was the best and others hated on him/fight style), so wouldn't expect him to do something like interviewing people. (And yes I know just the Dutch accent itself can come off arrogant in English)

But I will say, as much as I love my own looks... Remy is one of the few people I'd trade with.
Don't know much about him besides the fact that he was one of the best kickboxers in the world with wins over a lot of top tier kickboxers. Never watched other interviews from him but I came across this one and it was quite interesting. Never really knew much about the early stages of Overeem's career. And Bonjasky asks some pretty good questions.

Bunch of interviews with Kickboxers and MMA fighters on his channel if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8lBrdWEb4sVc192c09vpxw

Zhang Wei Li speaks Chinese with a thick accent, doesn’t sound pleasant.

Can someone tell me how Maia, Kron, Correira and Dern sound to a brasilian?

Robert Whittaker has a working class south Sydney accent with a bit of Samoan thrown in. Sounds non-pretentious and humble (which is the goal of the average Australian when speaking).

Alexander Volkanovski has a wog (Australian-Greek in his case) accent. Very popular with immigrants from the Mediterranean. A tough, working class and proudly ethnic vernacular. He fights from Wollongong which is the next town (city) south of where Whittaker fights from funnily enough.

Mark Hunt has a Samoan and New Zealander Islander, working class Australian (western Sydney) mix of an accent. Comes across as chilled and relaxed, as do most islanders.

Megan Anderson has a upper working class Queensland accent. She’s no Steve Irwin but she’ll americanise words and generally sound like she’s on a mission to speak to the manager. A real Karen. Sounds ridiculous talking tough, with her height and that voice if she was any of an athlete she’d be playing netball.
I don't get the Samoan from Whittaker at all, but you're right, he's your typical humble high achiever

Błachowicz speaks well Polish and is quite polite

-Wand is actually well spoken, at least compared to what he sounds like in english.
-Paulo Costa is unremarkable, can't find a word to describe him other than regular dude. Seems like a nice guy.
-Aldo is weird, he sounds hyperactive or something, it's like his mouth can't keep up with his mind. Cares a lot about his legacy.
-Shogun and Ninja were always hard to understand, but nowadays Shogun is really hard to listen to. He probably has the worst CTE of all the brazilian old school fighters.
-Anderson sounds fake as all hell, kinda like early Jon Jones. He always rubbed me and a lot of other brazilians the wrong way.

These are really interesting. The Aldo one is particularly surprising, because he always came across as a calm, collected killer to me.

No, Birmingham UK, 'brummies' have a distinct accent.

That was a (very little, it appears) joke. My tongue was perhaps planted a little too firmly in cheek when I wrote it.

That was a (very little, it appears) joke. My tongue was perhaps planted a little too firmly in cheek when I wrote it.

I see, sorry. I thought that not every one knew about Brummie accent.

Not I have had time to think about it.
Francis N'Gannou : comes across as a nice thoughtful guy, speaks pretty good articulate french. Seems pretty humble. Definitely has an african accent but it's pretty light.
Mansour Barnaoui : Pretty humble, again quite thoughtful, has a good head on his shoulder, not comfortable in front of camera though.
Cedric doumbe (not mma but still a fighter): has moments were he sounds articulated and confident but can come across has pretty cocky not to say arrogant. (Personally I think he has crossed the confident line, but that's just me)

I speak Mexican and I'd say plenty of them are stand up guys.

I don't get the Samoan from Whittaker at all, but you're right, he's your typical humble high achiever

It’s subtle, I suspect he largely derives his accent from his (white) father, but his mother’s New Zealand/Samoan side comes through at times.

Notice how he pronounces “earlier” at 1.15 in that clip, although from when he starts talking at 1.00 you can hear an islander element along with his south Sydney.

Anderson: crazy
Wanderlei: crazy but in a funny way
Royce: crazy
Werdum: funnier
Paulo Costa: articulate and smart. Good trash talker
Vitor: articulate but fake. Sounds like Mir
Nogueiras: proud and calm. Don't take losses well
Aldo: humble and shy
Lyoto: just like you imagine
Jacaré: a bit of a dick
Amanda: 60% crazy

Yes, the Rua brothers have terrible diction. It's hilarious.

Jacare a bit of a dick why?
I'd say is a humble easy going guy although maybe not the most brilliant and articulate one

What about Dolph Lundgren?
Dolph comes across as a funny guy. Very well spoken though, I think he has a master's degree in some sort of engineering.

Some Swedish fighters:

Alexander Gustafsson: Very laid back personality when speaking Swedish, humble.

Ilir Latifi: Has a Malmoe/balkan accent. Humble.

Pannie Kianzad: Seems like a fun gal to be around, can come across as a little bitchy when talking about rivals that she does not like. Also has a southern Sweden/Scania accent. Not the typical Malmoe accent though.

Jack Hermansson: Really laid back and humble. Speaks Norwegian as well as Swedish.

Teymur brothers: Bit of an Assyrian/street accent, both of them. Don't come across as well-educated.

I always found GSP stiff when he speaks in french. He tries to be well spoken but it doesnt sound natural at all. You know he doesnt talk like that at all normally.

Its normal, we all want to appear well spoken in front of the camera but Georges takes it to another level. He still is very respected here and a great role rodel.

Georges bless

Edit:
On the Other hand, Aubin Mercier (OAM) and the newcomer Charles Jourdain are really well spoken and natural in all the interviews I saw them
Its interesting,some native quebecers,all of whom worship him of course,said that the way he speaks english is funny to them. But when im in quebec alot of people talk like GSP. Maybe its a bit more exaggerated..but i mean,he has to speak in public alot..thats different.

There is a whole different side to Oleg taktarov that non russian speakers will never know about him hahah. Im not a non russian speaker,but i have seen some transcripts of some commentaries he did. Hes a real peace of work hahaha

It’s subtle, I suspect he largely derives his accent from his (white) father, but his mother’s New Zealand/Samoan side comes through at times.

Notice how he pronounces “earlier” at 1.15 in that clip, although from when he starts talking at 1.00 you can hear an islander element along with his south Sydney.

Agree to disagree. Source = working with coconuts daily

Jacare a bit of a dick why?
I'd say is a humble easy going guy although maybe not the most brilliant and articulate one
Interaction with fans. I made an offtopic observation in the post, my mistake.

Back