Personalities of Non-English Speaking Fighters (Bilingual Bros GTFIH)

I lived in Lille for a year and I still don't understand what animal he has hunted, and that's literally the main topic of the story. I don't even think I would have understood that he's talking about hunting at all if it wasn't in the title and if he wasn't in hunting gear.
{<jordan}

True!

I remember that time when he had an altercation with Nate Diaz. He said to Nate "I'll fuck you until you love me, you fucking skinny mexican" and Nate said "Listen here, you ignorant fool, race related comments do not have their place this society full of institutional racism. Read a book, educate yourself, be better"
It's even funnier if you read this in their actual voices

Only one I can talk about is Marvin Vettori, as other Italian fighters are fucking ghosts.

He seems douchy, his interviews in English are super confident but that's because it's what he thinks will be beneficial of him.
He's always declaring how he's one of the best middleweights, how all is losses are robberies, shit like this.
But he seems to be open to self-analyzing so it may be a façade.

His accent sounds a little watered down but you can clearly tell where he's from (around Trento).

Ciao ma tu di dove sei? Napulie presumo! Ottimo inglese cmq

The nogueira brothers seem like really nice guys and are pretty eloquent i don't know if they were from a nice family or they just really are good with words and talking to people but they seem like really intelligent guys, outside of that they have a pretty strong northeastern brazilian accent but not overwelming like shogun's accent
Big Nog is a smart businness man. He invested his Pride earnings really well, fortunately. I think he also has a law degree or something, which makes Sonnen's carrot joke more hilarious.

Last edited:
Southern accents are ridiculed in the USA, Germany, Italy/Sicily, and now the Netherlands?
Southern Dialects (Tosk) also sound less manly and are more “watered down” here in Albania.

But since the communist dictator(Enver Hoxha) was from the south , Tosk (Southern Dialect) was implemented as the base for the Standard Language by the communist regime despite the fact that the majority of Albanians were Gheg dialect speakers.

Ciao ma tu di dove sei? Napulie presumo! Ottimo inglese cmq

Yep, gonna run away from Italy as soon as I can though.
Love the place but no way in hell I'll do a psychologist work for 1500€ a month more than necessary. Thinking about Scotland as my girlfriend is going to study there, then we'll both go to Finland.

Love the place but no way in hell I'll do a psychologist work for 1500€ a month more than necessary. Thinking about Scotland as my girlfriend is going to study there, then we'll both go to Finland.

Yes Italy's not great for salaries, especially the south....I'm from Calabria but moved to Milan to study when I was 18...I'm now 33 and kinda regret staying in this country.

Don't get me wrong..."La bella vita" Is real and wonderful. It's a beautiful country : great food, wonderful coastline, beautiful mountains and lakes, culturally rich and eteeogeneous

But we get paid shit and meritocracy is just a dream

How olde arre yuu?

Probably since it's an english speaking forum and speaking your own language is annoying to people who dont understand. I used to have an Albanian Kosovar co worker, she talked Albanian almost all the time, she kept saying she wasnt talking about us, but it was so annoying. But yeah, weird.
Spo shoh kurgjo per mu qudit ktu , Typical Albanian :p.

Obviously you'd get a lot of shit (rightfully so) from other Albanians if you speak another language besides Albanian when there is no need or while you're talking to another Albanian.

Yes Italy's not great for salaries, especially the south....I'm from Calabria but moved to Milan to study when I was 18...I'm now 33 and kinda regret staying in this country.

Don't get me wrong..."La bella vita" Is real and wonderful. It's a beautiful country : great food, wonderful coastline, beautiful mountains and lakes, culturally rich and eteeogeneous

But we get paid shit and meritocracy is just a dream
never knew that. I love Italy as a country to go on vacation to. love the italian lifestyle, great food as you say, great views, easy going and very nice people for the most part. i especially love the cars; I drive an Alfa myself!

Good point there. Danish for instance sounds a lot like Dutch. Most professional football / soccer players from Nordic countries pick the language up pretty quickly.

I remember that the Danish footballer Jan Molby started speaking in post match interviews with a thick scouse accent not long after signing for Liverpool in the 80's...

Yes they are, and as a French Canadian myself, this is my perspective on the matter:
- As opposed to other euro languages whose colonies eventually became more influential than the old euro country, France remained the centre of the world for francophones.
- France is an extremely centralised country historically and currently as well, so that within France the standard will always be Parisian French.
- For that reason, all the people from the former colonies (except Canada/Québec which were cut-off from France in the 18th century) learned Parisian French.
- France has esssentially killed its regional cultures in its centralistic approach. A couple of centuries ago, various languages were spoken in France, for example Occitan, Breton or Basque. But the government actively weeded out these languages by imposing French at schools, etc. Hardly any young French person nowadays speaks their "ancestral language" as good as they speak French, except perhaps in regional strongholds like Corsica / Basque country. But even then, the norm is that even in Corsica, young people have a better command of French.
- Regionalisms tend to be snobbed in France, so that in educated Parisian circles, you will rarely hear somebody with a strong regional accent and standing out as a non-Parisian is often seen as embarrassing by French people, when they are outside of their region. Try to imagine someone speaking with a Marseillais accent in business meeting in Paris with a bunch of lawyers / bankers. The Marseillais would not even be taken seriously.
- Culture/education/intellectual sophistication is extremely important in French culture (moreso than in any other western culture IMO), and the French language is a very codified medium for this culture, so that speaking "properly" is extremely important in French culture.
- Lastly, and this is my own, very French Canadian point of view: snobbism / elitism / pedigree if you will is very present in French culture and language is one of the most critical conveyor of pedigree, so that yes, for that reason and all the other reasons above, French people are very judgmental of language and make fun of us since many of us do speak like absolute ass.
- Lastly #2: I need to stress that most French people tend to be very kind towards and like French Canadians nevertheless, even if the arrogant French sort of ruin it for the rest.
That sounds exhausting. I was always a "smart kid" and went through a phase of trying to act like an intellectual. I avoided profanity, was a sesquipedalian speaker, and silently judged people who "sound dumb".

Fast forward a few years and I started to meet a lot of really smart people who have a very blue collar vocabulary in the engineering world. I realized what a pretentious twat I had been. I can't imagine living in a culture full of people like 21 year old me.

She's a more humble and frank. In English interviews she's just acting out a persona. She's still very confident and proud but not overboard.

Haven't watched any Shevchenko interviews.

Interesting. As for the Shevchenko sisters, I found this one a while back , they seem pretty cool but for all I know they're talking about the best way to dispose of dead bodies.
They seem to settle in and talk more freely around the 4 minute mark.

Overeem in dutch sounds very softspoken and intelligent. Like if I would hear him speak in dutch without seeing him I wouldn't think it's a giant of a man who can probably fuck up most people on this planet.

Btw, this is actually a pretty interesting interview. Overeem talks about how he got into MMA, how he got into Japan, how he got into K1 and his first fight with Badr, etc. It's in dutch but there are english subtitles.

I didn't know Remy interviews people. I've always thought he came off arrogant compared to other Dutch fighters (because he was the best and others hated on him/fight style), so wouldn't expect him to do something like interviewing people. (And yes I know just the Dutch accent itself can come off arrogant in English)

But I will say, as much as I love my own looks... Remy is one of the few people I'd trade with.

Last edited:
I am French but I have been learning and speaking english for like 25 years now. I was told once by a friend of my brother, from London to "quit that birmigham accent". I had a boyfriend from birmingham at the time, but when I told him that he said I had never had a brummie accent, go figure.

Maybe his friend meant Birmingham, Alabama, in the USA.

Back