1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

personal training certification

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by flikerstance, Oct 27, 2010.

1. KILL KILL Gold Belt

Yeah it's a silly concept. Kind of like how people become officers in the miltary with a degree in theatre.

2. MASShole Get it?

It weeds out the 19 year old "fitness experts." The CSCS wasn't previously requiring a BA or BS.

You could always just get the shitty ACE and have something behind your name, but don't apply a damn thing they tell you and actually make your clients workout.

Then you could get a USAW sports cert and become better at oly lifts.

3. KILL KILL Gold Belt

ACE is a good cert. The certs are mostly just for getting the job, not the measure of what a trainer is truly capable of.

4. MASShole Get it?

I agree about certs just getting you a job.

ACE sucks, but it gets you in the door. Use your non-ACE knowledge to actually do the job. haha.

5. KILL KILL Gold Belt

exactly.

6. livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

CSCS is the best for sports. I am certified under NSCA right now and that is the best for special poplulations. But it's a good certification but you better study your ass off for that exam.

Oh, and TS, if you don't want to work at Golds for the rest of your life, skip the online cert and go to school.

7. livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

You need a degree for the CSCS, not for the NSCA-CPT though.

8. KILL KILL Gold Belt

yeah. i'd have to be able to fit it into my schedule I guess. they're very strict about their testing process. It has to be done on a specific scheduled date in a certain amount of time, no exceptions type of deal.

9. KILL KILL Gold Belt

very true. to make the big bucks you have to further your education. the basic certs like ACE ACSM ISSA etc can get you a job at any fitness gym, but to work in a sports specific gym, or certain companies that employ personal trainers, you have to have something that puts you above the average joe trainer. I saw a job online offering $110,00 a year for a master trainer to basically oversea 4 teams of trainers. the basic requirements were a bachelors, a cert from one of the basic training schools, and 3-5 years of personal training experience. That's f'ing ridiculous money for such low requirements. the fitness field is high in demand

10. Origins Blue Belt

Is that supposed to be 11,000 or 110,000?

And yeah, the degree requirement for the CSCS can be a bachelor's of any kind. For example, Rippletoe's degree is in geology. But I have heard/read that most material taught in exercise science classes is rather useless anyway.

Interesting sidenote: Rip recently relinquished his CSCS out of disgust for the methodologies of the NSCA and the field of exercise science in general. When asked by some dumb guy on his forum why he had such beef with the NSCA, he replied humorously...

Inb4 coolstorybro

11. KILL KILL Gold Belt

that would be $110,00. I'll have to find the survey, but the average trainer easily makes over $50,000 a year. A lot depends on the area of course. a more depressed area = less revinue than an upscale neighborhood.

Also, one should never rely on what they've learned from the fitness trainer courses except for the business side that they teach. that will definately come in handy.

12. livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

Yup, that's exactly how my exam was. You HAD to be there at the start time. Five seconds late and to bad for you. And you couldn't go past the three hour limit. And trust me, you will use up the three hour limit. A bit of advice if you go for NSCA, the exam is split up in four portions, exercise technique (easiest), program design (okay), legal issues, and facility layout (those two are the hardest). Of course they change things here and there but that's how my exam was. It's based purely off the NSCA book but like others mentioned you have to be well educated outside of your certification.

13. livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

Well I don't have a degree, but I didn't get my cert from an online course or a weekend seminar either. I went to a one year trade school and had courses in anatomy, kenis, exercise science, lab (hands on training pretty much), our NSCA study class, exercise phsycology, business courses, and others. A 100 hour internship is part of the course also. I do have a basic education but I still plan on furthering my education in the future.

Right now I am working at the same studio I had my internship at which is pretty nice. It doesn't pay the big bucks since I am an employee of the studio and not independent but it's a good deal for someone as green as I am and I still work my part time job so money isn't a problem right now. Right now I am more concerned with experience.

14. bobthebuilder Special Belt

Some people in this thread are being sarcastic, but I actually think you're going to make a great personal trainer.

15. miaou barely keeping it together

Absolutely true. There's plenty of shitty personal trainers who have sports science university degrees where I come from.

Entirely agree. If it gets you through the door, pay the fucking $500 to ISSA or whatever, take that piece of paper and do your own thing.

16. miaou barely keeping it together

Every trainer should have good grasp of the basics of the above. You can be a bad trainer if you do, but you can't "not be" a bad trainer if you don't!

That is not true. Quite the opposite; most material is very useful. The common problem is that it's often not taught the right way. A college program is only as good as the professors teaching it. You can have really good ones, really bad ones, and everything in between. Ultimately, the info is out there and it's up to you to educate yourself. College/uni is just a place to help you achieve that in systematic fashion.

I'm actually planning to start a thread for people having studied/currently studying in sports-related fields to share their thoughts/experiences.

17. miaou barely keeping it together

I am. But I also explained the pros and cons and gave the reasons from them. You can only expose someone to information, but you can't "put it in their head" yourself. The OP has obviously not even read the fucking FAQ.

18. Origins Blue Belt

Are you pursuing an exercise science degree nowadays?

19. miaou barely keeping it together

Yes. After sporting the "college dropout" tag for a number of years, I decided to go back and start all over again.

20. livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

Awesome dude. Wish you luck. What will you be majoring in?