personal training certification

You also realize the gym you work for will take a good chunk of whatever the client pays for your service?

I'm curious.

How long did it take you to complete the courses and what did the material include? Were you examined on-line as well?

Also, if the examination was online, how were you evaluated for the certifying organization to deem whether you are in position to train (since training includes a great deal of motor skills)?

Btw, I just visited the website, that's $499 right now.

I actually registered for it in 08. They sent me a large package, including one massive book on pretty much all the information about training you could want, another smaller book or 2 on starting a business, proper etiquette, blah blah blah, a dvd, and lots of study materials. I was in the military at the time so didn't get around to it for quite a while. The test was much larger than I expected. There were 4 or 5 parts to it, multiple choice, matching, case studies (which involves calculations), and a part where you have to write a serious (I believe 6) essays.

You also realize the gym you work for will take a good chunk of whatever the client pays for your service?

If you charge $30 and hour, the gym will most likely take $10. They also will not pay you for the hours you are at the gym and are not training a client. The absolute best way to make money is to get into business for yourself, but this is also the hardest and the riskiest. Building a client base will be the toughest part. it will take money to make money so advertising is a must if you go into business for yourself.

I actually registered for it in 08. They sent me a large package, including one massive book on pretty much all the information about training you could want, another smaller book or 2 on starting a business, proper etiquette, blah blah blah, a dvd, and lots of study materials. I was in the military at the time so didn't get around to it for quite a while. The test was much larger than I expected. There were 4 or 5 parts to it, multiple choice, matching, case studies (which involves calculations), and a part where you have to write a serious (I believe 6) essays.

So how do they know if you know what a proper squat is supposed to look like?

And does "all the information about training you could want" really include all in the information about training I could ever want??

That's more or less up to the gym. A good gym will test you before they hire you. Some even require you to have your own insurance (not many though). There are a lot of shitty trainers out there. I met another trainer at a gym that advocated staying in a sauna for 45 min to lean up. No asswipe, you're just sucking all of the water out of your system.

And does "all the information about training you could want" really include all in the information about training I could ever want??

Not at all. I was exxagerating. but the book is probably around 800 pages so take it for what it's worth.

That's more or less up to the gym. A good gym will test you before they hire you. Some even require you to have your own insurance (not many though). There are a lot of shitty trainers out there. I met another trainer at a gym that advocated staying in a sauna for 45 min to lean up. No asswipe, you're just sucking all of the water out of your system.

I didn't know gyms test PT's before hiring them, despite them being certified.

I also didn't know you were working as a PT. What kind of clients do you have?

If you charge $30 and hour, the gym will most likely take $10. They also will not pay you for the hours you are at the gym and are not training a client. The absolute best way to make money is to get into business for yourself, but this is also the hardest and the riskiest. Building a client base will be the toughest part. it will take money to make money so advertising is a must if you go into business for yourself.

Well I could use the MMA gym where i train at and wouldent be charged a dime but it prob woudlent be the best idea since we dont have any machines just kettle bells bench bar, and weights and other body weight tools.

I didn't know gyms test PT's before hiring them, despite them being certified.

I also didn't know you were working as a PT. What kind of clients do you have?

All kinds. athletes, middle aged women, middle aged men, teens trying to get big gunzors, etc etc. I'd like to use my GI Bill that I got from the military and get a degree in exercise science. a degree + more certs = justifying charging more money. I'd love to get a cert from NSCA, they are the absolute best for sports and the toughest to obtain.

Well I could use the MMA gym where i train at and wouldent be charged a dime but it prob woudlent be the best idea since we dont have any machines just kettle bells bench bar, and weights and other body weight tools.

No machines? Not even a single smith machine? Just free weights, bench, and bodyweight tools?

Yes, awful place to train people.

EDIT: I can now tell you'll be an awesome PT, btw. I take back the comment I made about you not having enough knowledge/experience.

All kinds. athletes, middle aged women, middle aged men, teens trying to get big gunzors, etc etc. I'd like to use my GI Bill that I got from the military and get a degree in exercise science. a degree + more certs = justifying charging more money. I'd love to get a cert from NSCA, they are the absolute best for sports and the toughest to obtain.

What is stopping you from it?

Then all of your clients would have to belong to that gym to use it correct? And you'd have to build your own client base all by yourself without the help of a gym (which is very difficult to do). I would suggest getting a job at a gym for a year or more atleast to get some credentials under your belt. Unless you have really good credentials, you have to have massive gunzorz for the average joe to even look at you as a potential trainer.

No machines? Not even a single smith machine? Just free weights, bench, and bodyweight tools?

Yes, awful place to train people.

EDIT: I can now tell you'll be an awesome PT, btw. I take back the comment I made about you not having enough knowledge/experience.

Dont worry man its all good i cant wait to get started

Then all of your clients would have to belong to that gym to use it correct? And you'd have to build your own client base all by yourself without the help of a gym (which is very difficult to do). I would suggest getting a job at a gym for a year or more atleast to get some credentials under your belt. Unless you have really good credentials, you have to have massive gunzorz for the average joe to even look at you as a potential trainer.

No i have a key to the gym its open from 5-9 anytime before that i could wait on clients to show but yeah trying to find clients without the help of a gym is tough to do so well see im still new to this and im trying to learn im willing to do what it takes and work hard.

Well, once he's certified he'll know that squats are bad for the knees, and won't make his clients do them. :)

What is stopping you from it?

the degree. you need one to get the cert. Thus one of the reasons it's prestigious. I believe there was a guy in this forum that did have the NSCA cert but was a complete retard though. The cert doesn't make the trainer, experience and knowledge does. The cert is just a way of justifying the outrageous amount of money trainers charge.

No i have a key to the gym its open from 5-9 anytime before that i could wait on clients to show but yeah trying to find clients without the help of a gym is tough to do so well see im still new to this and im trying to learn im willing to do what it takes and work hard.

You don't need a certification to study and learn. Start reading, and never stop.

the degree. you need one to get the cert. Thus one of the reasons it's prestigious. I believe there was a guy in this forum that did have the NSCA cert but was a complete retard though. The cert doesn't make the trainer, experience and knowledge does. The cert is just a way of justifying the outrageous amount of money trainers charge.

Richmond got his CSCS a few months ago, but isn't around much anymore. Also, I believe EZA has also got the CSCS cert.

I didn't know about needing to have a degree. Do they require a degree in a sports-related field, or is it any random bachelor's degree?

Well, once he's certified he'll know that squats are bad for the knees, and won't make his clients do them. :)
Of course! It all makes sense now. :)

Last edited:
Richmond got his CSCS a few months ago, but isn't around much anymore.

I didn't know about needing to have a degree. Do they require a degree in a sports-related field, or is it any random bachelor's degree?

I believe it's just a bachelor's in general, but I could be wrong.

If it's indeed just a bachelor's in general, then it sounds kind of retarded.

Back