Persistent Foot Corns

First watch this

Second, I had a wart on my index finger once, on the inside part of the finger though so if I closed my hand nobody could see it. I used the acid stuff; then it came back. So I used the acid stuff for a long ass time the next time, well beyond seeing the traces of what used to be there. Just used the acid on that spot every day for months and months. Eventually I stopped and the wart was too afraid to come back

I had a bad one on the padding of my foot for years.

Soaked it, shaved it used nail clippers to keep the worst of it removed to help with the pressure between my foot and shoe.

After about three years i had enough. I was living with a friend in new orleans at the time and I took one of his expensive steak knives and cored the fucker out. left a hole in my foot for a few weeks but the skin healed and it never grew back.

man I've never seen so much blood in my life though

it's going to take minor surgery to get rid of it.

If you do it yourself it's probably best to inject with something to numb the pain before the procedure.

You're never going to get rid of it if you're afraid of a bit of blood.

They're rooted deep into your dermis (ie. the live skin with blood supply).

First you've gotta shave all the dead bits off the top, then you've gotta get a piece of pummice stone and sand the fucking shit out of it until you're bleeding everywhere and keep repeating day after day. Since the corn is still sort of hard, once you've gotten down there, the pumice will take off more corn than live skin, but it's not exactly fun, and might not be possible if it's on a sensitive bit if your foot like the toe - I had them on the sole.

cross-section-of-a-corn.jpg

I've also had warts removed by a doctor using liquid nitrogen, and that's much worse - I would not recommend. First few treatments were ineffective and it came back. The final time he went HAM and gave me frostbite through the full thickness of the dermis. Got rid of the wart, but took months to heal up and was incredibly painful for days after.
I had a wart on my elbow. A big gnarly one that had gotten so large it was kind of flappy. Some friends and I went to a party and got hammered and a nice new volkswagen came to pick us up. I hopped in and put my elbow on the center console and we drove away. At some point I realized my wart had ripped off and I had been pouring dirty wart blood all over his gray leather.

You were funnier when you posted about your dysfunctional love life.
Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for sherdog, my love life is now pretty darn healthy.

Wouldn't it just make sense to go to a dermatologist after like the second time you tried to remove it? How bad is your insurance bro

It didn't really dawn on me for some reason at first. I have a general distrust of doctors here so they are usually my last resort. Like @jimbob27 said, they'll try to freeze it off, which is painful and not always effective.

Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for sherdog, my love life is now pretty darn healthy.

It didn't really dawn on me for some reason at first. I have a general distrust of doctors here so they are usually my last resort. Like @jimbob27 said, they'll try to freeze it off, which is painful and not always effective.

So you think you can come up with a treatment that is less painful and more effective?

So you think you can come up with a treatment that is less painful and more effective?
I figure if I have to go through pain with a chance of it not working, I may as well do it for free at home. I'm in quarantine anyway so it'll be a project to work on.

How do you get rid of these freaking things?
I've been dealing with a corn on my foot for 3 years now. Don't know how it even got there because it's right behind my pinky toe, a part of the foot that doesn't really come in contact with anything.

Thought it was just callus and left it alone except to occasionally cut at it. After some time, it was still there, sometimes causing me a bit of pain when it grew out. I'd have to cut it flat so it doesn't hurt as much. I realized it wasn't just callused skin. After some google research, I figured it was a corn. The alternative would be a wart, but I ruled that out when it didn't spread even when I accidentally cut myself.

I've been trying to get rid of this thing for years and nothing has been working. I used salicylic acid patches many times and it never worked. I soaked my feet in hot water to soften the corn enough to cut/file it down enough to find the root, but I could never find it. I would go too deep and end up cutting myself. It would always grow back.

I read a blog by this woman who used calendula butter to soften her corn to the point she could scrap it off. I tried using calendula by itself but it didn't seem to be really working. The corn was a bit softer, but it wasn't going away.

I changed my strategy. I found salicylic acid drops that I could drop on my corn regularly. I didn't have to wear a patch all the time and the acid content was higher. I figured I could soften the corn with the acid and cut a little by every day until I reached my actual skin and the root. I also applied the calendula butter to help the process. It seemed to be working because the corn was starting to get smaller.

Today, after about two months of the aforementioned process, I soaked my feet in warm water before scrapping off the corn. Good chunks of it easily fell off, and I thought I was about to declare victory. I scrapped off all of the visibly callused skin, but once again, I could not find the root and there was still a very thin layer of skin that was harder than my regular skin. I couldn't cut anymore because for sure I would start bleeding if I did.

I'm back to square one. I'm going to continue with my current strategy but this is frustrating. Perhaps this isn't a corn at all but something else. I was trying to avoid going to the doctor but going to a podiatrist may be the only option. I've been apprehensive up to now because they usually resort to cryotherapy which can be painful and not always effective.

If anyone here has successfully removed a corn or wart on their foot, please share your experience so I can learn from you.
When I was a kid I got a corn on my big toe, none of those patches worked because it would just come back later on. Had this issue for months, so my mum took me to the doctor and he "froze" it with liquid nitrogen canister. He did it for about 30 seconds, didn't really hurt or anything. Then it just fell off a few days later.

When I was a kid I got a corn on my big toe, none of those patches worked because it would just come back later on. Had this issue for months, so my mum took me to the doctor and he "froze" it with liquid nitrogen canister. He did it for about 30 seconds, didn't really hurt or anything. Then it just fell off a few days later.

Was the doc Nic Cage?

You think going to someone who spends their entire career on dealing with that issue is going to know less about how to deal with the issue than some random guy on Sherdog?

Go to a fucking doctor dude.

You think going to someone who spends their entire career on dealing with that issue is going to know less about how to deal with the issue than some random guy on Sherdog?

Go to a fucking doctor dude.

I can't now because of quarantine but if it's still there after these few weeks, I will go to the doctor.

And yes, as crazy it might sounds, sometimes doctors actually know less than sherdoggers. I've encountered too many doctors who were simply flat out wrong about things.

Just bite them off caveman styles, and then grab a band aid.

Meh. I've had them on my pinkie toes since I was a kid. I guess it ruins my chances of being a foot model, but there's no discomfort or anything and I wouldn't even know they're there unless I look.

Go to a dermatologist, pug.
Don't rule anything in or out yosseph, broseph.
Let a qualified mofo look at it.

I had a bad one on the padding of my foot for years.

Soaked it, shaved it used nail clippers to keep the worst of it removed to help with the pressure between my foot and shoe.

After about three years i had enough. I was living with a friend in new orleans at the time and I took one of his expensive steak knives and cored the fucker out. left a hole in my foot for a few weeks but the skin healed and it never grew back.

man I've never seen so much blood in my life though
This is pretty much how I got rid of one of my ingrown toenails. It worked that one time, but never again.

Back