Perry reveals details of sparring session with Cerrone "he’s so easy for me to punch in the face"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TCE, Sep 1, 2018.

1. TCE

TCE The Three Piece with the Soda Platinum Member

SIR

Mike Perry kept most details of a sparring session with Darren Till secret –but Donald Cerrone doesn’t get the same treatment.

During an interview on MMAjunkie Radio, Perry (12-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) was asked for a funny story about Cerrone (33-11 MMA, 20-8 UFC) and dished on their brief partnership at Cerrone’s BMF Ranch, which this week emerged as a central part of a behind-the-scenes drama over Perry’s work at Jackson Winkeljohn MMA.

“So I go to the BMF ranch – this would be the second time we sparred,” said Perry, who meets Cerrone on Nov. 10 at UFC Fight Night 139. “We didn’t even spar, because he’s so easy for me to punch in the face that I didn’t punch him in the face like that. I was throwing jabs, and I was able to just touch him with the end of my glove, and I was like, man, I’m not going to open up on him here in his house on his ranch with all his people around.

“But I want to get this work. I want to get this aggressive energy out of me. So I started shooting takedowns, and I’m not that good at wrestling; just defensive wrestling moreso. And we went for 23 minutes straight. There wasn’t a lot of punches involved. I started shooting in takedowns to get that energy going and get that sweat and actually try hard.

“So I start shooting takedowns, and he kind of reversed me. I got up once or twice, and then the last 10 minutes of that round, he was on top of me. I was trying to pull some sweeps, or subs, but he’s a slick grappler, too. I wasn’t able to get him off of me the last 10 minutes.

“He’s laying on me at 23 minutes, and he kind of looks at me, and I just tapped him on the shoulder, like, ‘Alright, (expletive), get off of me.'”

If it was a fight, Perry maintains, he would have been sticking his thumb in Cerrone’s eye – which, by the way, is illegal – and elbowed from the bottom (and is perfectly legal). But alas, it was merely a training session – a training session that’s now known to the world.

Typically, fighters keep these kings of things behind closed doors. But in case you haven’t noticed, Perry isn’t the typical fighter, and this isn’t the typical buildup to a fight. It’s certainly not the prelude to a comedic misunderstanding between colleagues.

Of course, Perry came away from the training session with the opinion that in a real fight, he would reign supreme. And he hasn’t changed his mind about that as he readies himself for a FS1-televised main card fight at Pepsi Center in Denver.

“Maybe he thinks he’s going to grapple me and make it a boring fight, but the problem is, when he shot on me in the cage at Jackson Wink, he’s too weak to take me down,” Perry said. “Wrestling is the mid-game, when you’re in the clinch trying to get the takedown – not when I’m shooting the takedown on you and my feet stumble over each other, and I can’t get your long ass off me.

“He’s not going to be able to make a boring fight and walk away with a slow win to make him the winningest fighter ever… . He knows if he can’t beat me in three, then he’s in (expletive) trouble. I’m telling you, I’m going to beat him in three. I’m going to knock him the (expletive) out.

“When he got TKOd, there’s three people, (Jorge) Masvidal, Darren Till and (Rafael dos Anjos). He was still protecting himself, and they were punching him in the shoulder. I want to put him to dead, cold sleep. That’s my thing.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/09/mike-perry-reveals-details-of-sparring-session-with-donald-cerrone

Rum, Readybodisready, Sole and 3 others like this.
  2. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

Pumphrey94, josh345, Gabe and 29 others like this.
  3. BC

BC Helax

4. Elysianwing

Elysianwing Mr. Mojo Risin' Belt

Hope Cerrone folds him in half.

5. Übermacht

Übermacht ἅπαξ λεγόμενον

Vicious knee KO coming in when Cowboy shoots for dat takedown.

6. Rondas Pillow

Rondas Pillow Black Belt

Sounds shook to be honest

7. The Blob

The Blob Banned Banned

Perry will knock Donald stiff

I believe him when he says he found it easy to touch Donald's chin, because Cerrone's striking defense has always been mediocre

Honestly Max Griffin would beat Cerrone at this point

8. Mammothman

Mammothman Silver Belt

For being a mediocre fighter Perry have a big mouth, even a washed up Cerrone should run trough this clown, hopefully after that he shuts his dumb mouth

9. The Domin8or

The Domin8or Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Hope cerrone triangle chokes the shit out of him or headkicks the shit out of him .

10. Soul On Ice

Soul On Ice Arguably Never Lost

What is he thinking?

[​IMG]

11. HNIC215

HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

Mike Perry talks too much... shut your goofy ass up and win some fights.

kazam, Mazzy, TehJesus and 6 others like this.
  12. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

Why is Mike Perry going to Cerrone's stupid ranch in the first place if JacksonWink has plenty of talent there?

So essentially Cerrone allows Perry to spar at his place and Perry takes advantage of this by wanting to fight him now.

13. Theproof

Theproof Brown Belt

What an idiot. All this story did was remind me how much he fucking sucks.

14. ClosetVitorFan

ClosetVitorFan Silver Belt

Cerrone is past his prime but I think he has enough to get it done. If a 35 year old male model can beat Perry. Cerrone sure as shit can.

Theproof, 90 50, TehJesus and 2 others like this.
  15. lolo 06

lolo 06 Brown Belt

Classless Perry...nothing new

16. ryanrandy

ryanrandy Black Belt

He's classless. During the Rogan thing, Cowboy went out of his way several times to say it had nothing to do with Perry and how he likes him and this is how Perry acts.

17. The Domin8or

The Domin8or Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

What do you except from a dude whos iq level is 20 ?

dawzz, Gabe, Morning Star and 5 others like this.
  18. BC

BC Helax

[​IMG]

19. MastercraftG

MastercraftG Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Perry probably wants to fight Cowboy because he is butthurt from getting tooled in front of everyone at his ranch.

Perry sounds like Paulie making excuses lol.

ArtOfDrowning and MMAcolyte like this.
  20. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

So, by Perry's own account Cerrone grapple fucked the shit out of him?

Yeah, that sounds entirely believable.