Pernell Whitaker v Floyd Mayweather jnr - Lightweight

No he did not.

At the end of Floyds career, there will be considerably more HOFers and P4Pers in Floyds win column than Whitakers not to mention 0 losses, unless something crazy happens vs Berto.

I don't know.. The welter division that Whitaker competed in was one of the more talented of all time.. DLH, Tito, QUartey, Whitaker..and then a lot of good contenders.. He was fighting well out of his natural frame just with the hope of luring some of that money..

Plus, the value of the CHavez fight outweighs any of Mayweather's wins..I don't think Im reaching in saying CHavez is hirer on the list than anybody Floyd has ever fought..

That is a ridiculous statement.. Whitaker had one of the best jabs ever

Sorry, just trying to say that a great jab is not uncommon from good southpaws and I also think I might have been thinking of another fighter. I get guys like Marc Johnson and Pernell Whitaker mixed up a lot.

When it comes to comparing two ATG's, it really tends to come down to a matter of aesthetics and taste. I prefer a strong, popping/thrusting jab over a quick leaping/flicking jab. I suppose between Floyd/Pernell it's a matter of taste. Both have ATG jabs.

I don't agree. People have been waiting for years for Mayweather to lose. Thats why people hold on to that Castillo fight so tightly.

People hold onto that fight because it was a fortunate event that was completely out of his hands.. now when a fan base is basing their degredation of all the great fighters that came before on the fact that May has an 0 and those fighters don't, it's important to remind them how fortunate he was to get out of there with that 0 on that night...a very small twist of fate and Floyd is a completely different public figure today.. He had no control over it..he was at the mercy of the judges, and they took mercy on him..

Last edited:
But he won cracky

Ok.. I could use the same logic to build up the greatness of Serafim Todorov.. clearly he is an all time great fighter because he technically beat Floyd

I don't know.. The welter division that Whitaker competed in was one of the more talented of all time.. DLH, Tito, QUartey, Whitaker..and then a lot of good contenders.. He was fighting well out of his natural frame just with the hope of luring some of that money..

Plus, the value of the CHavez fight outweighs any of Mayweather's wins..I don't think Im reaching in saying CHavez is hirer on the list than anybody Floyd has ever fought..
Remind me how many of those guys he beat.

I'd rate DLH over Chavez BTW.

You're being obtuse

Considering that you aren't really asserting anything, you can't really say I'm being obtuse. Who uses that word? lol..Is it the 17th century?

You are saying.. "but Mayweather won".. and Im countering with the exact same logic, and then showing you why it isn't logical. There's more to it than what the record states is the point. The fact that you are slow to comprehend this means you are, in fact, being obtuse.

Remind me how many of those guys he beat.

I'd rate DLH over Chavez BTW.

That's irrelevant. I was speaking for the era..not the fighter. The fact is, Pernell couldn't get most of the top fighters in the ring back then. He was on HBO all the time asking for opportunities as if he wasn't the pfp top fighter..he had to basically beg..

I wouldn't rate DLH over CHavez.. Im not saying DLH wasn't great, but at each of their peaks, I think the more complete fighter was clearly Chavez..

Chavez won't be higher than pac n resume wise might not be better than jmm

Considering that you aren't really asserting anything, you can't really say I'm being obtuse. Who uses that word? lol..Is it the 17th century?

You are saying.. "but Mayweather won".. and Im countering with the exact same logic, and then showing you why it isn't logical. There's more to it than what the record states is the point. The fact that you are slow to comprehend this means you are, in fact, being obtuse.

Floyd still went home with the bronze right? When people say they think the fight was a robbery, did anyone take away Todorov's silver and give it to Mayweather?
Floyd lost toTodorov, controversial or not. Fans don't get to make up their own sequence of events.

That's irrelevant. I was speaking for the era..not the fighter. The fact is, Pernell couldn't get most of the top fighters in the ring back then. He was on HBO all the time asking for opportunities as if he wasn't the pfp top fighter..he had to basically beg..

I wouldn't rate DLH over CHavez.. Im not saying DLH wasn't great, but at each of their peaks, I think the more complete fighter was clearly Chavez..
Bullshit that any of that post was irrelevant.

Oscar beat both Whitaker and Chavez.

Chavez won't be higher than pac n resume wise might not be better than jmm

I don't know.. I think 89-0 with wins over prime Camacho, Rosario, Lopez, Taylor, Haugen, Mayweather, Ramirez, Limon, LaPorte, Lockridge holds up.....JMM is great.. no doubt about it.. Pac too.. but I don't think either beats JCC in his prime..

Floyd still went home with the bronze right? When people say they think the fight was a robbery, did anyone take away Todorov's silver and give it to Mayweather?
Floyd lost toTodorov, controversial or not. Fans don't get to make up their own sequence of events.

The point is that that hunk of medal means nothing..because the reality is, FLoyd won that fight... We give those medals their value.. they are not worth anything unless they are awarded to the person that deserves the win...well, they are worth the weight of the medal..but nothing more.

The point is that that hunk of medal means nothing..because the reality is, FLoyd won that fight... We give those medals their value.. they are not worth anything unless they are awarded to the person that deserves the win...well, they are worth the weight of the medal..but nothing more.
Actually no, the REALITY is Floyd lost that fight.

Bullshit that any of that post was irrelevant.

Oscar beat both Whitaker and Chavez.

I don't get why you are getting worked up.. I was saying that the era was tougher than this one, and supported it by listing the fighters in the era. Whitaker fought every member of that era that would fight him.. and in DLH's case, deserved a rematch and was denied...

Oscar beat an old CHavez and lost to an old Whitaker. I can still remember the press conference where he exhibited an attitude not that different from yours..when he was presented with the fact that most people felt he lost, he lifted up the belt and said next question..which means..don't look at what happened..just look at the result.

Actually no, the REALITY is Floyd lost that fight.

That's the result of everything behind the scenes..but if you and I watch that fight, we know who won.. it's clear who won.. the only thing that either fighter could control is what happened in the ring..and anybody observing that, can tell you who won..and the opinion of 3 crackhead judges doesn't effect that...

A long time ref straight quit amateur sports because of that decision.. he walked away from the sport..and labled it as corrupt..and he was right..it was..

I don't get why you are getting worked up.. I was saying that the era was tougher than this one, and supported it by listing the fighters in the era. Whitaker fought every member of that era that would fight him.. and in DLH's case, deserved a rematch and was denied...

Oscar beat an old CHavez and lost to an old Whitaker. I can still remember the press conference where he exhibited an attitude not that different from yours..when he was presented with the fact that most people felt he lost, he lifted up the belt and said next question..which means..don't look at what happened..just look at the result.
I'm not worked up.

The era was not tougher. Cotto, Mosley, DLH, Hatton, Marquez, Pac and even guys like Maidana and Canelo are solid fighters, better than most of the names you listed.

And its tiresome hearing people claim that quantity of opponents means something. In any other conversation about Chavez, If I brought up that 89-0 in a positive light, I'd be bombarded with people telling me how many tomato cans there were in that 89. Its tiresome hearing people say that losses don't matter because guys "fought alot back then" or "were not at their best."

There was nothing better about that era. People think so because of that sense of nostalgia that comes with mentioning those big names.

List accomplishment on paper and compare then tell me exactly why the era was so much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back