Pernell Whitaker v Floyd Mayweather jnr - Lightweight

You say that, but consider the fact that judges typically love Floyd, and Pernell threw more punches on average than Floyd...I just think he got robbed..sometimes people get robbed..sometimes its because the fix was in..sometimes its because the judges are shit..

Meh. I've always felt that boxing fans overrate Whitaker. Who did Whitaker REALLY fight at LW? Roger Mayweather, Nelson and Haughen were probably his best win at the weight. I'm actually a fan of all 3 of those names but lets be real, none of them were invulnerable.

Also Whitaker often took too much time off in fights trying to showcase his boxing style that fans loved but judges really didn't. Thats why he lost the Ramirez fight. Thats why he didn't get the nod vs Chavez. Thats why he had to dig down vs Hertado. Thats basically why he lost to Oscar.

You say no one beats Whitaker at LW? Mayweather was actually undefeated at the weight,Whitaker wasn't.

People say Floyd is boring but the bottom line is, he ALWAYS outworks his opponents while making them look bad. Whitaker often made guys look bad but forgot to do anything else.

To Cracky every one beats floyd. Floyds a cheat. I wish I could of been there when floyd beat pac like he was an amateur. Cracky must of been so upset.

Haven't heard Cracky defending pac's saltwater claims. I'm sure he will though some how.

You say that, but consider the fact that judges typically love Floyd, and Pernell threw more punches on average than Floyd...I just think he got robbed..sometimes people get robbed..sometimes its because the fix was in..sometimes its because the judges are shit..

Pac threw more punches than Floyd too and we all seen that masterful performance. Did what no fighter could do to pac. Whitaker I'm sure would have been dealt with accordingly. Whitaker does nothing better than Floyd.

Floyds defense stats are better than Whitakers n floyd had more power at that weight class. Floyd being one of the smartest fights to ever have the sport please tell me what the fuck Whitaker could do? Make floyd miss lol ok. Floyd is considered by some to be the best there is. Whitaker is not in the discussion.

Whitaker isn't beating a prime pac either just to throw that in.

Wasn't Floyd beating the shit out of Whitaker in sparring back in the day ? Unless I got the wrong person

Meh. I've always felt that boxing fans overrate Whitaker. Who did Whitaker REALLY fight at LW? Roger Mayweather, Nelson and Haughen were probably his best win at the weight. I'm actually a fan of all 3 of those names but lets be real, none of them were invulnerable.

Also Whitaker often took too much time off in fights trying to showcase his boxing style that fans loved but judges really didn't. Thats why he lost the Ramirez fight. Thats why he didn't get the nod vs Chavez. Thats why he had to dig down vs Hertado. Thats basically why he lost to Oscar.

You say no one beats Whitaker at LW? Mayweather was actually undefeated at the weight,Whitaker wasn't.

People say Floyd is boring but the bottom line is, he ALWAYS outworks his opponents while making them look bad. Whitaker often made guys look bad but forgot to do anything else.

Nelson is an ATG, that's better than anything Floyd faced at LW

Nelson is an ATG, that's better than anything Floyd faced at LW

Don't be ridiculous. Azumah Nelson wasn't a great lightweight.

I never made any comment about Floyds opponents at 135 either. Floyd only fought at the weight 3 or 4 times

whitaker man, hands down, he'd have to be the aggressor and he might not punch off of his defensive moves nearly as well but he had bigger balls, better accuracy than most fighters, not just floyd, and he threw a lot of punches. he just didn't have a punch. great intangibles, great heart, meanness, in some ways, he was like Taylor, had the temperament of a puncher but not the punch. If any fight mayweather is involved in is that based on skill, where heart makes the difference he has to lose, he won't sacrifice anything and that means he loses.

Wasn't Floyd beating the shit out of Whitaker in sparring back in the day ? Unless I got the wrong person

only so much can be read into witness accounts of sparring, Holmes beat the shit out of ali in sparring but everyone beat the shit out of ali in sparring, it meant little at the time. In fact, ali got wind of how holmes was running around bragging about whipping his ass so he beat him until he quit to teach him a lesson, something I'm sure had bothered holmes for a long time (think it would any fighter). They say whitaker beat camacho in sparring and camacho went after him afterwards, who knows, they say Pryor beat leonard in sparring, it only holds so much weight.

I remember Sweet Pea's antics was never taken well by the boxing establishment, also it hurt his chances of stealing rounds in fights when he was visibly pissed and animated that he didn't do well at the end of a round he lost. He would leave all doubt of his shortcomings to the judges.

Some guys in this thread though love to hate Floyd because of what he represents, and pretend to give him his due to come off a little bit more diplomatic but you who you all are.

Pac threw more punches than Floyd too and we all seen that masterful performance. Did what no fighter could do to pac. Whitaker I'm sure would have been dealt with accordingly. Whitaker does nothing better than Floyd.

Floyds defense stats are better than Whitakers n floyd had more power at that weight class. Floyd being one of the smartest fights to ever have the sport please tell me what the fuck Whitaker could do? Make floyd miss lol ok. Floyd is considered by some to be the best there is. Whitaker is not in the discussion.

Whitaker was probably a better mover. He probably had a better jab, as well. I'd say he was probably better on the inside than Mayweather and he generally had a higher workrate. Whitaker was really, really good and would give Floyd tons of trouble. I'd also take him over Pacquiao with a fair amount of confidence.

I remember Sweet Pea's antics was never taken well by the boxing establishment, also it hurt his chances of stealing rounds in fights when he was visibly pissed and animated that he didn't do well at the end of a round he lost. He would leave all doubt of his shortcomings to the judges.

Some guys in this thread though love to hate Floyd because of what he represents, and pretend to give him his due to come off a little bit more diplomatic but you who you all are.

the judges went against him in fights against mexican's, in a fantasy fight, i don't think anyone considers judging errors. It's hard to rank floyd because of the talent around, just like it's imbecilic for people (but they do) to rank the klitschkos over louis, ali, holmes etc..,

To Cracky every one beats floyd. Floyds a cheat. I wish I could of been there when floyd beat pac like he was an amateur. Cracky must of been so upset.

Haven't heard Cracky defending pac's saltwater claims. I'm sure he will though some how.

You seriously only have one gear... actually two gears.. edit for two gears.. Attack anything that isn't overwhelmingly supportive of Floyd.. and the other gear is pick fights so you can tell the mods when somebody responds...

my sig is in your honor..

Last edited:
the judges went against him in fights against mexican's, in a fantasy fight, i don't think anyone considers judging errors. It's hard to rank floyd because of the talent around, just like it's imbecilic for people (but they do) to rank the klitschkos over louis, ali, holmes etc..,

My sentiments exactly Moz, that explanation was sweet and juicy, tender to the touch. You possess the intellect of the greats.

Pac isn't a defensive master like Pernell.. WHitaker does a lot better than Floyd.. His defense doesn't break down at higher paces, he is a better in fighter, he turns his opponents better, his jab is better, and his combonations are more fluid.. his 1-2 is faster than anything floyd throws..

My stats driving 30 mph are better than my stats driving 70 mph.. It's natural.. the faster you go, the more you're going to miss.. but Pernell drives 70 better than Floyd does... and has the skill to force Floyd to escalate his activity to that level

Lastly, Mayweather himself considers Whitaker in the discussion.. so there's that... somebody you admire with all your soul is on film calling Pernell the second best fighter of all time..there's probably a reason for that don't ya think?

My sentiments exactly Moz, that explanation was sweet and juicy, tender to the touch. You possess the intellect of the greats.

ok, thanks i think, that's the only time anyone ever used tender and me in the same sentence.

Whitaker was probably a better mover. He probably had a better jab, as well.

Mayweather's jab, especially to the body, is phenomenal. Whitaker's was very good but about average for a decent southpaw.

Mayweather's jab, especially to the body, is phenomenal. Whitaker's was very good but about average for a decent southpaw.

Mayweather has a very good jab, but I think Whitaker probably had the best jab of any southpaw in boxing history.

whitaker fought in a better era

Better era as in what? What does that have to do with anything in my post?

Whitaker beat one HOFer and his overall resume isn't close to Mayweather's.

Back