Pernell Whitaker v Floyd Mayweather jnr - Lightweight

subpar performances against rios, bradley, and algeri

He dominated Rios and Algieri and won the Bradley fight pretty clear too. Troll better.

He dominated Rios and Algieri and won the Bradley fight pretty clear too. Troll better.

pac was sloppy rewatch the fights, he actually looked sharper against floyd

pac was sloppy rewatch the fights, he actually looked sharper against floyd

Pac has always been sloppy. He dominated Algieri and Rios about as clearly as a fighter can. He beat Algieri by 16 points on 2 judges cards and 18 on the other. Thats pretty dominant.

Against Floyd, he only landed more than 10 punches per round in one round.

Ridiculous post.

Pac has always been sloppy. He dominated Algieri and Rios about as clearly as a fighter can. He beat Algieri by 16 points on 2 judges cards and 18 on the other. Thats pretty dominant.

Against Floyd, he only landed more than 10 punches per round in one round.

Ridiculous post.

by pac standards he was sloppy

pernell was cheated against chavez
Sort of. I had Pernell winning but its like I said, making a guy look bad doesn't mean you're doing enough for the judges to give you the rounds. I thought it was a questionable decision but not nearly so bad as people make it sound.

he lost to age,crack cocaine before losing to dlh
History doesn't care why you lost.Its a sport. A loss is a loss.

I think it's a very close fight. Whitaker struggled a bit with Buddy McGirt who has some vague similarities to Mayweather. Whitaker's jab and workrate could force Mayweather to work more than he wants to. Other than that, it's really hard to say. Two of the best boxers in the sport's history.

making a guy look bad doesn't mean you're doing enough for the judges to give you the rounds.

This is a good point. Boxing is not judged like figure skating, meaning it's not an artsy performance-based sport where you're guaranteed to win as long as you look better. You have to score more points to win the round, or at least come close while scoring more cleanly.

I've seen plenty of rounds where a guy is showboating and making the other guy look bad, but the guy actually lost the round because he wasn't throwing and landing punches. I think there was a round or two in the Garcia-Peterson fight that went that way (with Garcia looking bad but winning the round), same with a few Adrien Broner fights I've seen.

I don't care what happened in the fights. Whitaker/Chavez was close and Whitaker lolligagged for half the DLH fight. If Floyd/Gatti had gone to a decision and Gatti won, that'd be a robbery. Whitaker/DLH and Whitaker/Chavez were close fights that Whitaker lost. Get over it.

Whitaker/Oscar was a close fight that could have gone either way (I had Whitaker winning, but it was very close). Whitaker/Chavez was the definition of a robbery. Whitaker outboxed and outfought Chavez.

This is a good point. Boxing is not judged like figure skating, meaning it's not an artsy performance-based sport where you're guaranteed to win as long as you look better. You have to score more points to win the round, or at least come close while scoring more cleanly.

I've seen plenty of rounds where a guy is showboating and making the other guy look bad, but the guy actually lost the round because he wasn't throwing and landing punches. I think there was a round or two in the Garcia-Peterson fight that went that way (with Garcia looking bad but winning the round), same with a few Adrien Broner fights I've seen.

It's a good point that doesn't apply to Whitaker/Chavez.

It's a good point that doesn't apply to Whitaker/Chavez.

I actually took "Whitaker and Chavez" out of Seano's quote because I do not think it applies there either. But the statement alone is still a good point.

I think that some guys showboat, or try to make the other guy look bad, when they think that's the only way for them to win.

For example, Broner was clearly rattled by Maidana from the start. So what did he do? Mocked, humped, played to the crowd, and did whatever else he could to give the appearance that he was in control when he wasn't. I think he realized very quickly that if he actually tried to win the fight on points then he would end up being battered.

Again, not a Whitaker vs Chavez thing. But maybe a bit of a Peterson vs Garcia thing.

Id take Whitaker but wouldnt be shocked if Mayweather won. Doubt either would win by KO.

Sort of. I had Pernell winning but its like I said, making a guy look bad doesn't mean you're doing enough for the judges to give you the rounds. I thought it was a questionable decision but not nearly so bad as people make it sound.

History doesn't care why you lost.Its a sport. A loss is a loss.

Sure it does.. they make movies about the WHYS...Cinderella Man, Ragin Bull, Ali.. all filled with whys

Meh. I've always felt that boxing fans overrate Whitaker. Who did Whitaker REALLY fight at LW? Roger Mayweather, Nelson and Haughen were probably his best win at the weight. I'm actually a fan of all 3 of those names but lets be real, none of them were invulnerable.

Also Whitaker often took too much time off in fights trying to showcase his boxing style that fans loved but judges really didn't. Thats why he lost the Ramirez fight. Thats why he didn't get the nod vs Chavez. Thats why he had to dig down vs Hertado. Thats basically why he lost to Oscar.

You say no one beats Whitaker at LW? Mayweather was actually undefeated at the weight,Whitaker wasn't.

People say Floyd is boring but the bottom line is, he ALWAYS outworks his opponents while making them look bad. Whitaker often made guys look bad but forgot to do anything else.

Mayweather is undefeated because he caught a break.. and Pea was defeated at lw because he got robbed.. There's more to it than a number.. there's the reality of what happened...

Whitaker was not over-rated at all.. and he proved that when he fought and beat a prime DLH..who we all view as a pretty damn good fighter...He also beat JC Chavez..an even better fighter.. and in doing so, earned his level of respect..

Mayweather is undefeated because he caught a break.. and Pea was defeated at lw because he got robbed.. There's more to it than a number.. there's the reality of what happened...

Whitaker was not over-rated at all.. and he proved that when he fought and beat a prime DLH..who we all view as a pretty damn good fighter...He also beat JC Chavez..an even better fighter.. and in doing so, earned his level of respect..
Judges didn't appreciate Whitaker, like I said.

Judges aren't looking for a guy to be slick. They're looking for the guy who is making the fight, the guy who is working offensively. Whitaker was often clearly the better boxer in a round while at the same time not really doing the things the judges look at to give them a round.

Back