Pernell Whitaker v Floyd Mayweather jnr - Lightweight

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
So who you got any why?

me personally, i think it would have bee a great tactical fight but i feel Whitaker was the better man at the weight, he was virtually untouchable at the weight and didn't have any issues and i think he would have taken a decision win home

Floyds reflexes are great, but at this weight, i don't think he can fight as fast as Whitaker and starts to really go into his shell

I think the outcome may have been a lot different if these guys fought a bit higher, but at lightweight, i think Sweat Pea takes it

We've done this before.

Floyd wins easier than expected. Dude was beast at LW.

Mayweather in a competitive but fairly clear decision.

I'll always maintain Floyd was faster, craftier and better defensively than Whitaker. I don't think Whitaker could do much to Floyd. He'd throw more, but his punch selection and quality of punches would result in clean counters from Mayweather, especially late in fights. Whitaker would sometimes be visibly tired, Mayweather could go all day. 116-112 Mayweather.

Mayweather wins on points in a terrible fight.

Mayweather in a competitive but fairly clear decision.

I'll always maintain Floyd was faster, craftier and better defensively than Whitaker. I don't think Whitaker could do much to Floyd. He'd throw more, but his punch selection and quality of punches would result in clean counters from Mayweather, especially late in fights. Whitaker would sometimes be visibly tired, Mayweather could go all day. 116-112 Mayweather.

whitaker fought in a better era

Lol Floyd easy my ass.... no respect as per couch potatoes Sherdog.

I'd take Floyd also in a decision.

We've done this before.

lol...

Nobody beat a clean-prime Whitaker.. and nobody in history could have done it easily...

I think it's a good fight.. both have some edges in some areas.. Pernell was better at high paces..his defense didnt break down like Floyd's.. Floyd had the better chin and balance.. Whitaker was the more fluidly diverse fighter..he was highly complimented by the Mayweather's for his inside body work for example.. Floyd is better at controlling distance and slowing the pace..Floyd is more powerful.. but Floyd has never slept anybody the way Pernel slept Hurtado..so Pernel could commit if he decided to do so.. I like Pernells balance better than Floyds during extended combos..Floyd walks himself square during combos..Pernel was better at turning his opponent constantly..

Just a great match up.. I think if you really break down the qualities of each of these guys, you'll have to admit that it's a really close matchup

Nobody beat pac easy until floyd put on a masterclass. Without someone like Maidana roughing him up n Castillo cutting floyd off. Floyd makes it easy

Nobody beat pac easy until floyd put on a masterclass. Without someone like Maidana roughing him up n Castillo cutting floyd off. Floyd makes it easy

Dude.. you are delusional if you think that was a masterclass.. it's kind of sad, and disrespectful to Floyd's actual masterclass performances..

Floyd has never faced anybody like Pernel.. It's a whole different animal... Floyd rates him so highly for a reason Strange...
Like I said, it's a very interesting match up.. the points of comparison are kind of vague.. we have Pernel beating Chavez vs. Mayweather struggling with Chavez sparring partner... we have Pernell beating Prime DLH while he was past it vs. Mayweather beating a way past it DLH while he was prime..It's difficult to make an accurate prediction based on their links... but stylistically, they both have the tools to trouble each other...

Pernell didn't beat Chavez or a prime DLH.

and neither fight was at lightweight, so i dont get why you are trying to get a raise when everyone knows how those fights actually went down

and neither fight was at lightweight, so i dont get why you are trying to get a raise when everyone knows how those fights actually went down

I don't care what happened in the fights. Whitaker/Chavez was close and Whitaker lolligagged for half the DLH fight. If Floyd/Gatti had gone to a decision and Gatti won, that'd be a robbery. Whitaker/DLH and Whitaker/Chavez were close fights that Whitaker lost. Get over it.

I don't care what happened in the fights. Whitaker/Chavez was close and Whitaker lolligagged for half the DLH fight. If Floyd/Gatti had gone to a decision and Gatti won, that'd be a robbery. Whitaker/DLH and Whitaker/Chavez were close fights that Whitaker lost. Get over it.

Yeah.. lolligagging = outlanding Oscar I guess...and dropping him..and The Chavez fight was a clear Pernell win.. type in top ten biggest robberies ever, and that fight will be included in all the lists

We've done this before.

Floyd was more active/offensive at LW which means more openings and opportunities for Sweat Pea as well

lol...

Nobody beat a clean-prime Whitaker.. and nobody in history could have done it easily...

Meh. I've always felt that boxing fans overrate Whitaker. Who did Whitaker REALLY fight at LW? Roger Mayweather, Nelson and Haughen were probably his best win at the weight. I'm actually a fan of all 3 of those names but lets be real, none of them were invulnerable.

Also Whitaker often took too much time off in fights trying to showcase his boxing style that fans loved but judges really didn't. Thats why he lost the Ramirez fight. Thats why he didn't get the nod vs Chavez. Thats why he had to dig down vs Hertado. Thats basically why he lost to Oscar.

You say no one beats Whitaker at LW? Mayweather was actually undefeated at the weight,Whitaker wasn't.

People say Floyd is boring but the bottom line is, he ALWAYS outworks his opponents while making them look bad. Whitaker often made guys look bad but forgot to do anything else.

Back