Performing the clock choke

thecas

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is the clock choke just grabbing your opponent's left lapel as deep as possible with your right hand, then pull it across his throat as hard as possible? I hav seen Royce did it once[and was successful], without his other hand doing anything.

However is it just so simple? Is there any more technique to it?

Royce was famously caught and put to sleep in a clock by wallid so he knows a bunch about this tech I presume

Grab both lapels. Pull one lapel down so the other goes up, bringing your wrist to his throat. Put your head on the floor. Walk round in a semi circle.

If you go for a deep grip straight away he will no what you are going for. If you just grab both lapels he may think you are simply trying to keep control of him.

And you know why I mentioned this? coz it seems 2 b able to b combined with RNC easily.

Like instead of grabbing your bicep, hold onto the back of his Gi. and the more he pulls the tighter it will b. and u will hav the other arm to do other things. no?

When he is in turtle position, grab his left forearm with your left hand (from underneath his arm) and pin it to the ground. With your right hand, grab his opposite collar (over his shoulder) as deep as you can get it without having to struggle to get it in. When you have these step up with your outside (right) leg. To finish the choke, pull his left arm in towards his stomach while stepping in your inside (left) leg forward. **important details which is often left out**--your left hip should be directly over (resting on) his right shoulder...this is critical to making the clock choke work. Once you are in that position you simply have to pull up with your right arm (it should be like starting a lawn mower).

It isn't neccessarily how hard you pull his collar. It is about the movement of your body around his head putting pressure downward. Some people grab the opposite collar. Some grab the opposite forearm. I have a picture of Laimon as a purplebelt in the California State finishing a guy by lacing his arm inside the guys leg as he tried to stand up.

yeh the technique I have been shown focuses on keeping their back & side with pressure from your chest & side whilst having your head over the other side of their body on the floor. I haven't pulled it off successfully when I try it, I normally just grab their knee to control them, but I may try tucking their wrist towards their stomach.

I picked up a nice detail on this a few months ago in Judo. Use the knuckle or joint of your thumb to put direct pressure on the artery. Really seems to increase the efficiency of the choke.

Stoic1 said:
It isn't neccessarily how hard you pull his collar. It is about the movement of your body around his head putting pressure downward. Some people grab the opposite collar. Some grab the opposite forearm. I have a picture of Laimon as a purplebelt in the California State finishing a guy by lacing his arm inside the guys leg as he tried to stand up.

Exactly Stoic1, it's a common mistake to think by pulling up on the collar you are adding effectiveness to the choke and that's not the case. The pressure is simply caused by the movement of your hips and pressure of your weight that tightens the hold.

Back