Perfecting the Yoko Tomoe Nage

Luther

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I would like to perfect my yoko tomoe nage.

I already have the masterclass book, and it has some interesting info.

My coaches aren't big on this technique, so I'm looking for video instruction, any suggestion?

Look up Koji Komoru's youtube account "Komlock" and one of his promotional vids has a really nice Y.T.N. example. I have a few more as well but have to wait until I get home to access, no Youtube at work...

Also, go to Durangojudo.com and search for the video of Kashiwazaki sensei's seminar at their dojo. Lot's of incredible stuff both for throws and groundwork, but this guy's Tomoe Nage is the stuff of legend. He literally wrote the book on the subject.

31-i2JTtvkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

He makes them look so effortless, and can do them from seemingly anywhere. Also, even though none of it's in english, he very clearly shows some extremely important details of making the throw work.

Last edited:
I teach it. Unfortunately I don't have any videos of me teaching, however.

My line of judo its all great yoko tomoenage i mean everyone can do beautiful tomoe in competition and whoever trained with us learned to do it in a few days. Everyone except me, i always sucked at it.

Koji Komoru

2:45 is where the Yoko Tomoe Nage Starts. This whole series is awesome by the way, 3 of them on youtube.

Kodokan Summer teaching series 2010

Part 1 - regular and yoko tomoe

Part 2 - All yoko

The Tomoe Nage master himself, Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki. Tomoe Nage starts about halfway through, but the whole thing is fantastic. I think the Seoi Nage counter / Submission transition would be especially good for the BJJ guys.

(don't know how to emdbed from Vimeo)
KASHIWAZAKI DIJÒN 08 on Vimeo

Enjoy!

we were discussing it or a similar one a few pages ago in the judo thread

edit: found it

It differs a ton.

First off, think of the name "Yoko tomoe nage." Obviously it is going to the side. Well, tomoe nage is a ma sutemi waza, so despite the similarities in name, yoko tomoe nage has a lot more in common with yoko otoshi than it does with tomoe nage, IMO. If you throw yoko otoshi, then you have an advantage.

It's really difficult to explain techniques with just pure text. But look at this animation of yoko otoshi:

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/yokootoshi.gif

Now obviously the big difference is that in yoko tomoe nage, the left foot would be placed on uke's hip. This differs from regular tomoe nage because generally, the foot opposite the sleeve grip would be the one going to uke's hip (Of course there are variations, but this is generally how it's taught) and because of that, tori's head has room to swing in the direction of the throw, and sometime - depending on a number of factors - right up close to uke's leg.

The kuzushi differs from both tomoe nage and yoko otoshi. It basically splits the difference. Yoko otoshi is virtually straight to the side, and tomoe nage is straight forward. Yoko tomoe nage is to uke's front right (or left) corner. What is unique is that due to tori's rotation as they swing to the ground, the final position is much like that of a traditional tomoe nage. That is to say that the kuzushi is to the front corner, but as tori swings into position, their head aligns with the original direction of kuzushi.

When I teach yoko tomoe nage I have tori start kuzushi and then put his foot into position, then I have them swing into position. I tell them to aim their head for uke's foot, and that usually ensures they swing into the correct position.

I was going to address the type of tomoe nage you're talking about here (without uke going over your right shoulder), which is a valid technique... I just don't teach it that way.

Uke would fall the same way as in the .gif even if your foot was on his hip. This is due to the forward aspect of the kuzushi drawing their CoG over you foot. Unlike a traditional tomoe nage where the leg actively tosses uke off you, in yoko tomoe nage the leg stays relatively stiff and acts more like a blocker in a kuruma. You're right about the foot placement contrasting the kuzushi, that's what makes it work, much like hiza guruma, etc. I tried to find a video that demonstrates it reasonably well.

[YT]p-zyuu-Jtik[/YT]

The throw at 1:13 is the best example, IMO. You can see how the leg sort of props uke up. I use more pronounced kuzushi, much like yoko otoshi, but this obviously works well also and he's far more expereinced and capable instructor than I am, so take it with a grain of salt. Notice his right hand though, and how he uses it to help bring uke around. You can imagine that without that grip, uke could extend that arm and post.

If you were throwing uke to your right, then you would really want to have a hold of his left sleeve. Without it, it's difficult to develop proper kuzushi and control over your opponent... and with that arm free, they are capable of posting.

Me and Darkslide quarrel from time to time but he does provide great technical insigth when requested, kudos fancy pants:p

Back