Peoples experiences with 'mental stimulants'

Ian Coe

Silver Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Right, odd topic I know but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm perusing the internet as always when I see piractam, anircaetam and Alpha-GPC (basically choline). They have been noted as helping improve mental clarity and varying degrees of cognitive function (short term memory for example).

Does anyone have any exprience with any of these substances or have a opinion on their effectivness?

I know its not really supplementation for sports performance, but I thought I would ask

I've received many samples of those and more from work.

None of them (perceivably) worked as good as Ginko, IMO.

I heard some stories about fighters taking cocaine and also seem to help against taking a hit.

Anyway I think good rest and good training and being healthy (with your diet) is the natural key to suc6 to be mental prepared...

I heard some stories about fighters taking cocaine and also seem to help against taking a hit.

Anyway I think good rest and good training and being healthy (with your diet) is the natural key to suc6 to be mental prepared...

......................come again

I've received many samples of those and more from work.

None of them (perceivably) worked as good as Ginko, IMO.

That's interesting, because I was under the impression it's effects were based on inhibiting platelet aggregation. What type of work do you do?

I've used piracetam + lecithin as a stack for a while. Never really noticed it too much, so I stopped taking it.

If Oyaji Poi doesn't respond, send him a PM or search for his thread (or at least the one he hijacked) about this stuff. He had some interesting stuff to say about it and said that piracetam+lecitihin is what he would recommend also IIRC.

I've used piracetam + lecithin as a stack for a while. Never really noticed it too much, so I stopped taking it.

Interesting

I was thinking about buying a few things to help with revision and what not, piracetam and aniracetam being two that have stood out.
Lecithin being a supply of choline I think

i think caffeine & tyrosine together make an amazing mental stimulant. greatly improves workout intensity, concentration, etc etc.. but the crash is wicked.

i think caffeine & tyrosine together make an amazing mental stimulant. greatly improves workout intensity, concentration, etc etc.. but the crash is wicked.

You just reminded me I have some taurine and loads of tyrosine kicking about.

I'm revising for a test next friday and although if I order anything from the US I won't get it to aid me, i have other things in the not too distant that I could do with some mental aids with, hence this topic

edit- how much tyrosine do you take?

Ritalin is the best mental stimulant I've heard of. It's just like ephedra, meaning it works in very similar ways. The only real difference between the two is that Ritalin crosses the blood/brain barrier. A lot of the ridicule it's gotten is off-base from everything I've been told about it.

BTW, this info is coming third-hand from Rjkd12, as he did his best for like two straight months to get me to try it, not recognizing that unlike him, I don't have Doctor friends who can write prescriptions. lol

You just reminded me I have some taurine and loads of tyrosine kicking about.

I'm revising for a test next friday and although if I order anything from the US I won't get it to aid me, i have other things in the not too distant that I could do with some mental aids with, hence this topic

edit- how much tyrosine do you take?

i consume as little an amount of stimulants as i can, but when i do, it's usually in the form of an energy drink.. like half a spike or a redline. if i drink enough to enhance my workout, i generally want to break things the following morning.

i consume as little an amount of stimulants as i can, but when i do, it's usually in the form of an energy drink.. like half a spike or a redline. if i drink enough to enhance my workout, i generally want to break things the following morning.

Ok then

The idea of this thread really to all is for cognitive enhancement (eg short term memory).
Not really for supplements to give me 'an edge' in training.

If the two shall meet then thats cool, but as long as there is a cross over

Read: I don't want to hear about cocaine use to help prevent being KO'd

That's interesting, because I was under the impression it's effects were based on inhibiting platelet aggregation. What type of work do you do?

That raises a good point:

Should fighters avoid supplementing with ginkgo?

(from http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginkgo-biloba-000247.htm#Precautions):

Because gingko decreases platelet aggregation (stickiness), there is some concern that it may increase risk of intracranial (brain) hemorrhage. In fact, there have been several reports of bleeding complications associated with ginkgo use. However, it is not clear whether ginkgo or another factor (such as the combination of ginkgo and blood-thinning medications including aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents such as ibuprofen) caused the bleeding complications. One human study found that a ginkgo extract significantly prolonged bleeding time when given along with cilostazol (Pletal), a commonly used medication that inhibits platelet aggregation.

EDIT: also interesting (from the same link):

Ginkgo was reported to increase insulin levels in healthy subjects and to decrease insulin levels in diabetic patients.

Back