people writing Cody Garbrandt off as some wild hook throwing brawler

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
needs to recognize Cody is a 32-1 amateur boxer and knocked out almost every fighter in the UFC with a short right, he's easily one of the best striker Cruz has ever fought and one of the only guys 5ft4+ that Cruz has ever faced

Last edited:
needs to recognize Cody is a 32-1 amateur boxer and knocked out almost every fighter in the UFC with a straight right, he's easily the best striker Cruz has ever fought and one of the onl guys 5ft4+ that Cruz has ever faced
yeah but he got knocked out by a straight right in an amateur mma fight.

Most people don't know what they're watching.

It's because he is wild hook throwing brawler

Isn't he one? A powerful and talented one but still a wild brawler no?

needs to recognize Cody is a 32-1 amateur boxer and knocked out almost every fighter in the UFC with a short right, he's easily the best striker Cruz has ever fought and one of the onl guys 5ft4+ that Cruz has ever faced
pretty confident tj dillashaw would (T)KO garbrandt. easily the best boxer? maybe. not easily the best striker, though.

Ufc stats on the fs1 show his record is 10-0-0 . wtf

I think Cruz gets caught. He always says "I don't get touched" but he actually does eat a handful of shots every fight. If TJ had Cody's power I think Dom would have been in trouble.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Dom uses a lot of wrestling to neutralize neck-tat.

Probably second best striker Dom has fought honestly.
maybe, didnt wanna downplay cody although i probably did. he has good boxing and im a sucker for that but there is a lot more at play when you fight these top couple guys at bantamweight. i believe they rushed him and ill probably continue believing that even if he catches dom and wins. dom, lineker and TJ are all bad match ups for him right now IMO. hes just soooo inexperienced and i dont see him as a talent that would transcend that quite yet.

could be wrong.

Can Cody KO him? Sure.

Will he? Probably not. Cruz is notoriously hard to hit and one of the smartest fighters in the game.

Wild? You dorks don't know sh*t about the fight game.

Nobody notices Garbrandt's feet positioning when he throws in the pocket. Thousands of of people on Sherdog and not one person notices.

He does throw from the hip however in exchange for offense, he's very open to get hit.

Cody's a formidable opponent. Cruz however has a style that's suitable against any style.

I think that, honestly, Cody is overrated, and his neck tats are god awful.
But he's not the best striker Dom has faced, and yes, the snake in the grass would whoop his ass.

aite, I edited the OP cause I don't want this to turn into some argument about TJ vs Cody. Dom gets clipped plenty in his fights and throws crazy winging arm punches when he gets lazy, the reason he gets away with it is he fights guys he has a significant reach advantage over

maybe, didnt wanna downplay cody although i probably did. he has good boxing and im a sucker for that but there is a lot more at play when you fight these top couple guys at bantamweight. i believe they rushed him and ill probably continue believing that even if he catches dom and wins. dom, lineker and TJ are all bad match ups for him right now IMO. hes just soooo inexperienced and i dont see him as a talent that would transcend that quite yet.

could be wrong.
I think he probably gets dominated
It's going to be Cruz-Control like always I think, and I fully agree - I'd be more willing to believe in his chances if this was next year December and I'd seen him beat one or two truly elite guys (he hasn't beaten one as far as I'm concerned)

But he's a better puncher than TJ with more power by a decent margin - better striker than Faber, Benavidez (at the time actually a wild swinging brawler), Jorgenson etc by a decent margin. I think second best was wrong, maybe third although the Dj that Cruz beat wasn't the DJ of today. Cody's style, when fleshed out, reminds me of Stipe's. His footwork isn't flashy and sometimes he's flat, but when he wants to move he moves, he actually makes his best work off of short hooks and he has a solid wrestling base etc.

I think he's good a good punchers chance here, I was watching some of his fights over the weekend. Dude's hands are fast as fuck. He's a pretty good "boxer" for MMA in that his feet are always in the right positions when he's throwing, he cuts the cage pretty well, he angles into and out of combinations the right way. You can watch him land KO punches, and still take the outside angle as a guy is falling because he was prepping for a follow up immediately after - and he does so with his head constantly moving and his hands up. Solid MMA striker I think.

i dont even like Cody but anyone who thinks he is just a wild hook throwing brawler is an asshole

Back