People with medical marijuana cards being denied firearms in Colorado

Looks like I need to stock up on some firearms before they start denying anybody whose ever gotten a speeding ticket.

I think it's a great idea. I don't care how well someone handles being high, i have to imagine that someone at one point will find it fun to go shooting while high. I do understand the argument that people are allowed to purchase alcohol and have buy firearms. I just think that many people think that being high doesn't mess with their judgement.
You sound dumb as fuck.

I thought in order for someone to be denied a gun was having a felony. Is simple possession of marijuana a felony?
Anyone who uses illegal drugs is prohibited by the federal government from owning guns. Normally, when you purchase a gun, you have to fill out a form that says you don't use drugs. In places where marijuana is legal and tracked, you show up on registries that feed into the FBI's system for when you go to purchase guns. In those places, they make you choose one freedom or the other, something I have a philosophical problem with.

Yard sale? Gun show? Friend? Armslist? All legal methods for gun purchases without federal oversight. Also lol at the authority worshipper fascist fucks revealing themselves as closet gun control advocates in this thread.
Gun shows now require background checks. The only place now where that is not a requirement is person-to-person sales like Armslist, friends, etc.

you must be right. how can i counter that brilliant argument.

Why do I even need an argument? It's so obnoxious. You even mentioned alcohol. You know the one that makes people over confident while intoxicated. But that would be ok. Should we stop people from getting drivers licenses if they drink? I mean the majority of the time won't drive drunk but shit, they might. Or they could drive high! Anyone with a medical marijuana card should be banned from driving too!

Why do I even need an argument? It's so obnoxious. You even mentioned alcohol. You know the one that makes people over confident while intoxicated. But that would be ok. Should we stop people from getting drivers licenses if they drink? I mean the majority of the time won't drive drunk but shit, they might. Or they could drive high! Anyone with a medical marijuana card should be banned from driving too!

yeah, people shouldn't be driving while high. i think that certain people are not able to use machinery while they're high or drunk. some people say they can still drive okay while having a few drinks. maybe they can. but many other people can't. i think the same goes with someone who is high. at least you actually stopped being an idiot and gave a proper argument.

saying, "that's obnoxious" is nothing but name-calling. act like an adult and give proper reasons. i don't care if i'm proven right or wrong. but going back and forth like a child is ridiculous.

post #42. i'm all for discussing this. but saying generic shit like this wastes everyone's time.
Go google statistics about alcohol vs cannabis use in violent crime and shootings.

This is the legal problem with making federal gun laws while allowing states to determine the legality of controlled substances while said substances are still considered Schedule I drugs. It creates a legal problem where the citizen must choose to have one right or the other. This is exactly the problem with the more liberal ideas in regards to guns.

It expands though. Every time someone gets on the news and talks about "common sense gun control" like barring those with mental health issues from having guns, it's pretty popular and extremely scary. How do you implement it? Do I need a doctor's note to buy a gun, even though a medical doctor is not a publicly electable position and there's no vetting? What if this doctor just hates guns, so he puts that all his patients are unfit to own firearms? And does the federal government get to violate HIPAA and look into my medical files whenever I want to buy a gun? Do I have to choose between my 2nd Amendment rights and my Right to Privacy? Can't I have both? I am telling you, every "good idea" that comes from those who advocate for gun control is just an infringement upon our rights, and it's absolutely disgusting that people stand for it. They would never stand for the watering down of other rights, such as the 8th Amendment, allowing Double Jeopardy, permitting Bills of Attainder or Ex Post Facto laws, or watering down the 13th Amendment. Our rights should be as absolute as possible, allowing the Constitution and the Legislature to determine freedoms, not relying on the Courts to do it for us.

This is the legal problem with making federal gun laws while allowing states to determine the legality of controlled substances while said substances are still considered Schedule I drugs. It creates a legal problem where the citizen must choose to have one right or the other. This is exactly the problem with the more liberal ideas in regards to guns.

It expands though. Every time someone gets on the news and talks about "common sense gun control" like barring those with mental health issues from having guns, it's pretty popular and extremely scary. How do you implement it? Do I need a doctor's note to buy a gun, even though a medical doctor is not a publicly electable position and there's no vetting? What if this doctor just hates guns, so he puts that all his patients are unfit to own firearms? And does the federal government get to violate HIPAA and look into my medical files whenever I want to buy a gun? Do I have to choose between my 2nd Amendment rights and my Right to Privacy? Can't I have both? I am telling you, every "good idea" that comes from those who advocate for gun control is just an infringement upon our rights, and it's absolutely disgusting that people stand for it. They would never stand for the watering down of other rights, such as the 8th Amendment, allowing Double Jeopardy, permitting Bills of Attainder or Ex Post Facto laws, or watering down the 13th Amendment. Our rights should be as absolute as possible, allowing the Constitution and the Legislature to determine freedoms, not relying on the Courts to do it for us.
Not to mention the fact that a physician has no legal standing as a psychiatrist.

Not to mention the fact that a physician has no legal standing as a psychiatrist.
Well, psychiatrists are MD's. I trust their medical expertise, just not their political expertise (if they have any to speak of). I would like to separate the things that they are good at from the things that they aren't proven in. That's my point here.

Well, psychiatrists are MD's. I trust their medical expertise, just not their political expertise (if they have any to speak of). I would like to separate the things that they are good at from the things that they aren't proven in. That's my point here.
My point was just that a physician cannot diagnose mental illness, as in getting a doctor's note to buy a gun.

The whole thing is a joke... We've still got 80% lowers...

My point was just that a physician cannot diagnose mental illness, as in getting a doctor's note to buy a gun.

The whole thing is a joke... We've still got 80% lowers...
Fair enough. It would take a doctor with specialized training to call themselves a psychiatrist. Trying to work me over on the semantics, no? ;)

Fair enough. It would take a doctor with specialized training to call themselves a psychiatrist. Trying to work me over on the semantics, no? ;)
Lol, no way man - you're one of the top 5 posters I respect on here and I imagine our lives couldn't be more different - I always love your perspective.

I come from a family of a few psychiatrists and few doctors, and there is a huge difference. It's the reason that Ben Carson can be a brilliant neurosurgeon and a complete idiot at the same time.

Lol, no way man - you're one of the top 5 posters I respect on here and I imagine our lives couldn't be more different - I always love your perspective.

I come from a family of a few psychiatrists and few doctors, and there is a huge difference. It's the reason that Ben Carson can be a brilliant neurosurgeon and a complete idiot at the same time.
Thank you! That's quite the compliment, and I appreciate it. I appreciate hearing your views on things as well. There are probably about 20 posters that I consistently pay attention to, and you're one of them.

Haha, yes. He is probably an incredibly gifted neurosurgeon, but how that trains to politics is beyond me. How that will translate to leading HUD escapes me even further. My not-so-secret opinion is that Trump just wanted an ally with a black face that he could throw in there to say, "Look! I'm putting someone in there who really gets this problem and will work to fix it (despite never having lived in Section 8 housing himself)!"

Thank you! That's quite the compliment, and I appreciate it. I appreciate hearing your views on things as well. There are probably about 20 posters that I consistently pay attention to, and you're one of them.

Haha, yes. He is probably an incredibly gifted neurosurgeon, but how that trains to politics is beyond me. How that will translate to leading HUD escapes me even further. My not-so-secret opinion is that Trump just wanted an ally with a black face that he could throw in there to say, "Look! I'm putting someone in there who really gets this problem and will work to fix it (despite never having lived in Section 8 housing himself)!"
I also appreciate that as a huge compliment! Thank you.

Yea, ol Ben is a token if there ever was one. It's a real shame for people who need brain surgery, let alone all the people in public housing.

Back