People who never pull guard

Kinda funny... theres so many of those guys in America and in Brazil it is the exact opposite. Guys that pull every single time. If you pull guard first, theyll pull anyway and absolutely refuse to play top

When guys do that to me, I stand up and tell them that I just got 2 points.

Hate to say it but that's usually me; however, I don't 'battle off my knees for an eternity to avoid it.' Just grab an underhook and hit a quick knee tap. Otherwise, standard midget judo until one of us pulls guard.

Against a purple or higher I will usually try to get top because that's where I'm more comfortable, against blues its 50/50, and against other whites I will tend more towards pulling guard.

However, in competition I never pull guard because that's dumb and stupid.

i pull guard 99% of the time. funny thing is that alot of times pulling guard is not good enough for your partner, they want to start off on side mount but refuse to take it when you offer. So you waste a good min for them to jump around trying to get side mount.

Yep, I am, in fact, a reformed knee battler. Now, I actually pull guard all the time.

i pull guard 99% of the time. funny thing is that alot of times pulling guard is not good enough for your partner, they want to start off on side mount but refuse to take it when you offer. So you waste a good min for them to jump around trying to get side mount.

This. If starting on the knees, I usually "begin" trying to get guard from sidemount.
Actually an improvement because before this I usually "begin" with my partner having my back.

Well, starting from the feet I never pull guard. Going from the knees I almost always pull guard, unless they're more advanced than me or I'm trying to turn up the heat on them.

My reasoning? BJJ should train me for the worst case scenario. I want to have great escapes and an excellent guard, and never have to use them. So I'll work my guard when it's time for that, but never concede bottom when starting on the feet.

And yes, I know the guys you're talking about. If they're dead set on top position when starting from the knees, I let them take it. I have no love for midget judo/wrestling.

This, 100%.

i know people who do that all the time in my gym...either they stay on their knees or when they do get in guard they both stay in butterfly guard for the longest...

I'm the opposite, I always pull guard even in comps.

Thats gonna change though, and when I'm on my back, sweeps > triangles.

I'm training CSW and trying to devellop into a grappler that dosen't rely on the guard. Guard is great and all, but you know, the buttscooting ain't.

When starting from the knees I think I pull guard about 90% of the time because it's that or get into a huge knee match with someone. My guess is a lot of the people that will fight from the knees like their life depended on it view the situation as win/lose and often they have very little to offer from the bottom. It would bother me a lot when I first started, especially since as a newbie everyone would pass with no problem and I'd have all this weight on me in side control. Over time though I'm glad it happened (and still continues to) as my ground game has been forced to develop and now I have people who used to always try to be on top attempting to pull guard due to me sweeping them often.

I will easily admit I pull guard standing a lot when rolling against high level belts in judo.

Never pull standing up, have zero problem doing it when starting from the knees. My years of judo gave a pretty strong top game, it's my guard work that needs the most work

On our feet we don't pull guard in practice, you're supposed to learn to throw or takedown. In competition students can pull guard, though they almost never do.

Rolling on the ground we start with one person in the other's guard, and knee to knee is such an unusual position that it almost never comes up - I can't remember the last time I was knee to knee, or any of the students. If it happens, it's typically as part of a transition.

actually that's exactly what I'm thinking of. Sorry I didn't point it out. I'm not saying the 50/50 guard is gay.....I'm just saying it may be a step or two away from an awkward conversation where you end up admitting listening to nickelback and enjoy pillow talk.

I'm sure people will just say that I'm complaining, but its kind of a pain in the ass. There's a guy at our gym who's a purple belt who REFUSES to pull guard. I've actually seen him shove people onto their ass in order to force the other person to pull guard.

Kinda funny... theres so many of those guys in America and in Brazil it is the exact opposite. Guys that pull every single time. If you pull guard first, theyll pull anyway and absolutely refuse to play top

I love this shit. I am a bigger guy and my wrestling is pretty good, but I always pull guard when starting on the knees. So, when somebody does this I'm like HELL YES! I'd much rather just receive top position and work to pass.

For every guy who never pulls guard, there's a guy that ALWAYS pulls guard.

I don't even think about what I'm going to do when we start from the knees. If it looks like the guys wants guard, then I try to pass. If it looks like the guy wants to fight from the knees, then I pull guard.

Back