People who just don't get it?

I am the least athletic person among anybody I know. When I first started bjj over 2 years ago, I was horrendous. Worst guy in the class by far, and I knew it. But the thing is, I realized that in order to progress and pass the skill level of everyone else in the class, I had to train at least 3 times more and harder than them. I went to class 4 days a week for 3 hours each time and while not in class, I would download countless instructionals and matches and watch them over and over and over again. I also made sure I lifted weights 5 days a week at supreme intensity. Each day at class for a very long time, I would get killed by everybody, but the thing was... I rolled for at LEAST 20 matches each day and picked up on all my mistakes. It has been over 2 years, and now I can confidently say that I am MUCH better than every single person that was training with me aside from the instructor at the time when I started my training.

So why did I share this? Because I think that guy who doesn't get it in your class probably should be upping his intensity, and training time by a lot in order to compensate for his lack of natural ability for the sport.

Well I don't necessarily have to roll with him. I never choose too, but sometimes in doing what seems like mini games, like so and so has to escape from across-side, etc, I eventually have to roll with him.

I also don't mind people going hard. I'm not complaining about him using his strength all the time.

I also don't mind someone digging their elbows in, and things like that.

It's more then little things like that. He really just DOESN'T learn. I've never seen anything like it. There is a difference between progressing slowly, and flat out not progressing.

first of all, wicked story so funny! lol! i couldn't help laughing and giggling while reading this... man that is just funny. your frustration pops off the page. yo i hate to call names too but i would LOVE to know who this kid is! what belt and how many stripes???

^^^Why? So you can flame him and make fun of him, and give him a hard time about not progressing and shit? Come on dude, thats fucked up and you know it, its probably hard enough for the guy anyway, just leave him alone if you want to flame him, its a waste of your time, you wont get anything out of it, so leave him alone.

On another note, when i started when i was 14, I didnt even know who the Gracies were, and could NOT understand grappling at ALL, it took me about 4 months to actually start getting it. that was 2 years ago, im a Blue Belt now, it just depends on the person, if he keeps coming to class, he'll pick up some stuff, but Jiu Jitsu os not for everybody, thats why I really respect this guy for showing up for 6 months and is still determined to make progress.

Trust me, he is trying...he reminds me of me when i started, he'll pick it up, no worries man. How old is he?

Is he doing a heavy weight session before bjj? That can make you mentally tired and not absorb anything. Or maybe he s a roid rager, or maybe hes just thick? EIther way, if hes not being a dick and he keeps training, try and help him out.

I can't help but wonder if a lot of it has to do with his TMA/Aikido background. All the passive resistance and 'allowing' your opponent to perform the throws. Maybe he hasn't shifted gears yet to understand that it's more like a boxing match and he should be actively trying things not just passively trying to hold you down?

The way most TMA's teach techniques, you just follow the magic steps and *poof* the other guy falls to the ground. The BJJ method of active resistance against a struggling opponent may be so totally different for him that he really doesn't 'get' how things work.

Maybe explaing this to him outside of rolling and pointing it out to him in other people's matches will help?

c'mon yo, is he a blue belt? cuz if he's a blue belt and that bad i don't understand why they were promoting him..

Gsoares2 said:
just continue to look at him like a pussy.. and treat him like one as well.
He will come around..
wow you're a really nice guy.

i train with a guy thats just a complete anti-talent for these things. you just have to accept it, no need to give him any more trouble. i play it nice and go easy on him, telling him what to do from time to time.

patience.

Back