People who asked you to go light before sparring are the worst

Spacealien

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
There are multiple reasons.
  1. They do not want to fight to begin with. Why are they even there?
  2. They are going to go hard when they get into it. When you match them they're gonna blame you for hitting too hard
  3. They belong in a dance club not a martial art dojo. THERE IS NO MERCY IN THE DOJO
Maybe there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

If they wanna move around they can go to a dance club too!

Why did they give white belts the ability to create threads again? Get this dumb shit out of here
I wanted to post what an idiot TS seems to be, but I contained myself.

Maybe they train for fun and to stay in shape and they don't want to get injured/concussed?
TS might be a douche but I agree with his point, just not the reasoning why.

Everybody who ever asked me to go light went hard as fuck. Not a single exception in the last 5 years. At best they started off light then ramped up hard. I'm sitting there pitty pattering them worrying about their feelings and shit, and they come at me with bombs looking to take my head off. What they're saying when they ask that is not "Let's go light" it's "please go light, and I'll do whatever the fuck I want".

The only good way to go about it is the lesser experienced of the two dictates (in action, not words) how hard he wants to go and the more experienced guy matches that. I'm all for playing tag in the ring, I can get value out of either light or hard work, but I need my guy to give me the same courtesy he asks of me.

Everybody who ever asked me to go light went hard as fuck. Not a single exception in the last 5 years. At best they started off light then ramped up hard. I'm sitting there pitty pattering them worrying about their feelings and shit, and they come at me with bombs looking to take my head off. What they're saying when they ask that is not "Let's go light" it's "please go light, and I'll do whatever the fuck I want".

The only good way to go about it is the lesser experienced of the two dictates (in action, not words) how hard he wants to go and the more experienced guy matches that. I'm all for playing tag in the ring, I can get value out of either light or hard work, but I need my guy to give me the same courtesy he asks of me.
I kinda agree with your post.

I remember years ago, there was this new (karate) guy in our gym. The first sparring was with me, of course, as I was some kind of a "gate keeper" in our gym.

I started very lightly and he went guns blazing...I took a couple of deep breaths and went even lightly, hopeful that he would understand. He went even harder (of course). I started to kill him with low kicks as hard as I could (he, as a karate guy wasn't used to them and didn't know how to check them).

He didn't come back and I didn't see him again after that.

Dojo, heh.

Tell me you train knockdown karate and not kickboxing without telling me you do knockdown karate and not kickboxing.

My answer was always " I'll match how you go". I would always give a 1st warning then if they keep it up go to drop then with a body shot. Usually look to land a liver shot to drop them.

Yeah people who ask to go light almost always go hard lmao. There is a couple guys who asked to go light because of injuries and they stuck to it, but besides that yeah fuck those guys.

Its obvious. You can sense the giant chip this guy still has on his shoulder. Always in desperate need of putting others down. Thought so in his first thread.
I’ve done my share of trolling but I’ve never felt the need to make alternate accounts in places when banned/blocked for trolling…wonder what’s missing from his life that he’s like this.

There are multiple reasons.
  1. They do not want to fight to begin with. Why are they even there?
  2. They are going to go hard when they get into it. When you match them they're gonna blame you for hitting too hard
  3. They belong in a dance club not a martial art dojo. THERE IS NO MERCY IN THE DOJO
Maybe there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

Yeeesh. This is a troll post.^

But for the sake of other readersvhere....

I get that some newcomers to the gym have some real ignorance and they don't understand themselves in the gym at all. That's a self discovery process. I get it. But also, I've had very high level fighters let the coach know they want to work on specific things through sparring so the coach creates that necessary sparring "he's working on ______ so make him work for it."

Thai fighters at the highest level understand the value of learning good habits through light or 20% sparring whatever %. There are times to spar hard, and there are times to spar light. Each serves its purpose. Hard sparring is really valuable to get you used to the intensity pressure and punishment of an actual match. If yoy only hard spar you end up with bad habits and "survival mechanisms". Sparring at different intensities let's you get better at seeing what is happening.

All good progress and change takes time. Hammering away with harder sparring makes one more brittle than better.

The only point you made that I can understand is 2. There have been people who ask to go light and then don't realize they are intensifying the sparring and then they don't understand why you match that intensity. The answer, to me, is to have coaches present to have eyes in the sparring. People training can have egos (sometimes) and they don't like hearing feedback or advice from people they spar. But the coach should be there to say: "you did this, so he did that."

I sparred without coaches, but that was with people who I knew from training and we both knew that if it intensified it was because one of us caused it and we were preparing for our own matches so we recognized we were there to help each other. Mostly though, sparring with coach present is the best way to do it. Some gyms have assholes in them and will be foolish people to spar with without supervision.

Sparring is learning. Also, everyone should respect the pecking order in the gym while still having dignity and trying your best.

Yeah people who ask to go light almost always go hard lmao. There is a couple guys who asked to go light because of injuries and they stuck to it, but besides that yeah fuck those guys.

I had a elbow injury, and did ask for light work, and I stood by it. It actually helped me work out some other bad habits I had going on (ducking the same wat to a right hand and kind of "telegraphing it" if that makes sense). But also, I had some self-reproach because I was asking for lighter sparring.

TS' playlist on rotation everytime he drives to the gym

Back