People sleeping on Gus

In my honest opinion, I believe he went into the Johnson fight full of himself and paid the price. That may have been the best thing for him.

agreed, i dont think he respected rumble at all & paid for it. probably hard to keep your ego & emotions in check when your the only show in town.

yeah you don't knead to worry.

I don't mean to hate on cormier, even though I find his personality grating. I really do intend to respect him as a fighter because he's put in so many hours of work to succeed at such a high level. But... he is too short, too fat, too slow, and too bad at defending strikes to not get fucked up by Gustaffson.

Jones would handily beat them both, btw. Never forget.

LMAO at jones handily beating dc or gustafsson. He got his ass kicked by the swede the last time they met, then won a boring decision vs Cormier because herb dean thought he was reffing a slumber party.

I hope he can be the black Couture.

when he loses strap to gus, jones, whomever, he needs to go back up and start doing cain's job for him. would be cool to see a two division lhw/hw champ again

Anyone is susceptible to getting ktfo by Rumble Johnson. I don't think it's effected him as a fighter, if anything, he'll come in smarter for this fight.

The Jones fight was great theater but Gus fought the fight of his life that night and still lost. I am reserving judgement on him either way until after this fight

In my honest opinion, I believe he went into the Johnson fight full of himself and paid the price. That may have been the best thing for him. I think Gus can pull off the upset, then Gus vs. Jones II is set for Sweden in the spring or early summer.

Ufc would never put Jones return fight in sweden

The Jones fight was great theater but Gus fought the fight of his life that night and still lost. I am reserving judgement on him either way until after this fight

The fight of your life doesn't usually involve getting hit on the dome with a Hail Mary elbow in the fourth, putting you on Queer Street for the rest of the round and the next.

LMAO at jones handily beating dc or gustafsson. He got his ass kicked by the swede the last time they met, then won a boring decision vs Cormier because herb dean thought he was reffing a slumber party.

if Jones trains for the fight, he outpoints Gus as easily as he did DC.

And lol sorry if you're the DC fan, but he's not that good.

I don't disagree that the poster you responded to hyperbolized Gus' performance, however, Jones DID train hard for that fight. He was posting how his scores on his camps' prefight tests were better than ever previous to the fight. It was afterwards that he started making excuses.

I don't blame anyone for making excuses after either losing or being beaten up/tested by someone ranked below them in everyone's mind. Gus did the same thing after Rumble, and most guys do it. Its natural, but it also happened this way - Jones was top shape for that fight.

For sure, everyone is writing Gus off because of his last fight, but everyone knew going into that fight that Rumble was a very dangerous style matchup for him. Gus is still one of the best LHW's in the world, and he matches up well with anyone in the division, aside from Anthony Johnson.

Cormier has turned me into a fan, but Gus is one of my favorite fighters so I'll be rooting for him all the way. Looking forward to this match a lot. Whole card is awesome

LMAO
Again with the "didn't train" excuse, despite the fact that jones repeatedly kept uploading various comments to his profile, stating how his training was going better than ever and how he was shattering all his previous best marks. I'm sure you know better though.

I'm not even really a dc fan; I think he's very talented and a really hard worker, but that's it.
It's funny you say he's not that good though, considering jones looked completely underwhelming against him for long periods of time in their fight. So jones can't even shine against alleged mediocre competition?

I don't disagree that the poster you responded to hyperbolized Gus' performance, however, Jones DID train hard for that fight. He was posting how his scores on his camps' prefight tests were better than ever previous to the fight. It was afterwards that he started making excuses.

I don't blame anyone for making excuses after either losing or being beaten up/tested by someone ranked below them in everyone's mind. Gus did the same thing after Rumble, and most guys do it. Its natural, but it also happened this way - Jones was top shape for that fight.

Can we be real for a sec, yeah, I'm sure the whole "Jones slacked off thing" gets taken too far as well, but you can't deny that he'd likely put on a better performance without a drug habit/party lifestyle during the camp. And JBJ still did win that fight pretty clearly. There's no way the guy who wins this fight is the best LHW on the planet, I'm sure we all agree.

The fight of your life doesn't usually involve getting hit on the dome with a Hail Mary elbow in the fourth, putting you on Queer Street for the rest of the round and the next.

I agree but really when has he looked better even in victory?

Can we be real for a sec, yeah, I'm sure the whole "Jones slacked off thing" gets taken too far as well, but you can't deny that he'd likely put on a better performance without a drug habit/party lifestyle during the camp. And JBJ still did win that fight pretty clearly. There's no way the guy who wins this fight is the best LHW on the planet, I'm sure we all agree.

This is all true.

Jones popped for cocaine a few weeks before his fight with Cormier. As time went by, details emerged that Jon really does like to party and isn't a worker bee.

He's in the final preparations for arguably the biggest challenge of his career - the two time Olympic wrestler who's undefeated - and he's doing blow staying up all night. Jon Jones is the best we've ever seen, and we haven't seen him at full potential.

Anyhow, this is a tough fight for Gus. Cormier was landing good uppercuts in the clinch and he should be able to win some wrestling exchanges. He was also able to take a horrific shot from AJ and pop right back up, suffice to say his chin looks like iron.

I'd give Cormier an edge here, but this fight belongs to whoever shows up best on fight night.

I'd be agreeing to different claims if I were to straight agree.

Yes, whoever wins this fight is number 2, and if Gus wins, Rumble deserves another crack at the fake belt. Jones is number 1, case closed for now.

No, I do not think he clearly won that fight.

Jones is a cokehead, like Alex Arguiello was. Until he changes that, it is a part of his total fight intangibles. We'd be getting into 'motivated Penn', or 'healthy knees Shogun' territory. He is what he is, and he was at his best vs Gus, by his own admission. Can he come in even better? - technically, yes, but he has to put the work in. Can Gus become a higher caliber wrestler? Yes, technically, but he has to put the work in and become so.

The mental game is a very strong aspect of the fight game. If mentally your not there, or confident in yourself it's going to fuck up your performance. Look at someone like Andrei Arlovski, early UFC career he was on point then got brutally knocked out by Fedor wasn't the same fighter for a couple years and now mentally he is back on point and is doing great. I was just hope Alex has recovered mentally from being beaten by Rumble in his homeland.

I like Gus but he has zero chance against DC. DC is just a better MMA fighter. Gus is a good top 5-7 in recent roster while DC is an extraordinary top fighter from all time roster.
Not same ballpark.

Dc gonna steamroll gus by his wrestling and dc can take hits and throws bombs i dont hate gus. i had him winning against jones

Back