People sleeping on Gus

Dream20

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Yes he hasn't beaten many in the top 10 (he would have if he fought more). Yes you're only as good as your last fight (Rumble can knock out anyone in the first round). Yes MMA-math always works. DC>Rumble>Gus.

That won't change the fact that Alex will stuff most takedowns. When he gets taken down he will get up. He did better in the wrestling against Jones compared to DC.

In the standup Gus has far superior boxing and movement. Not sure how they compare cardio wise.

There will most likely be a new LHW (paper)champ.

And no, I don't bet.

i'm kind of with you on this. people sleeping on gus. unless dc can pin him to the mat and keep him there, i dont see how he wins. for fucks sake he wasn't even unconcious after that brutal beatdown rumble was putting on him, guy was still trying to get up sort of. if it stays on the feet dc is going to get worked badly

this is going to basically be a repeat of Cormier/Jones.

Alex, UD, comically lopsided striking totals.

Alex is the best defensive wrestler and has the best Tdd at LHW, along with his striking and range he's got a great shot to win this fight.

Love Gus. He's awesome.

I like DC too, but I'm definitely hoping Gus puts on a clinic.

this is going to basically be a repeat of Cormier/Jones.

Alex, UD, comically lopsided striking totals.

I hope so, i trust you on this, don't let me down.

I hope that DC finally getting the belt will make him lose some of his hunger to retain it.

Oh Gawd... here comes the blonde sack danglers in full force. He almost beat Jones... Almost isn't a win and he's a good fighter but he's getting that ass man handled vs. DC.

/ thread.

In my honest opinion, I believe he went into the Johnson fight full of himself and paid the price. That may have been the best thing for him. I think Gus can pull off the upset, then Gus vs. Jones II is set for Sweden in the spring or early summer.

i feel bad for him...must be very uncomfortable having a bunch of people sleeping on top of you

I don't know if it has as much to do with sleeping on Gus than on how much of a beast DC is. Nothing against Gus and he has the tools to make it happen, but Cormier is pretty damn tough test.

People are writing off gus big time. im a big dc fan but its obvious he has slowed down big time, its only a matter of time until father time catches up with him

He's a good fighter and probably legit top 5 but I think DC wins a decision, possibly a late finish if he wears Gus down.

Hespect King of the Grind.

Oh Gawd... here comes the blonde sack danglers in full force. He almost beat Jones... Almost isn't a win and he's a good fighter but he's getting that ass man handled vs. DC.

/ thread.

Racist.

I hope so, i trust you on this, don't let me down.

I hope that DC finally getting the belt will make him lose some of his hunger to retain it.

yeah you don't knead to worry.

I don't mean to hate on cormier, even though I find his personality grating. I really do intend to respect him as a fighter because he's put in so many hours of work to succeed at such a high level. But... he is too short, too fat, too slow, and too bad at defending strikes to not get fucked up by Gustaffson.

Jones would handily beat them both, btw. Never forget.

People are writing off gus big time. im a big dc fan but its obvious he has slowed down big time, its only a matter of time until father time catches up with him

I hope he can be the black Couture.

This is a tough fight to call, btw. The common horde always sees a fighter's last fight. Losing to Rumble in the first is the WAY ONE LOSES TO RUMBLE. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think Gus gets hit too much. His chin was good enough to handle Jones' mediocre power, but DC comes in with those beauty left hooks, and they will likely land - as they did against Jones, demonstrating Jones' great chin again. I think Gus will also be able to survive the shots, but he might get stunned, or become wary of them, and that will set up the TD. Jones defended the Cormier TD, and Gus defended Jones', but that doesn't mean a Gus on his backfoot can stop all of Cormier's. Cormier is built shorter and more powerfully than Jones, and his TD's don't all come from a bodylock, like Jones. Think Phil Davis, and I'm not sure Gus can stop them.

On the other side, Gus WILL be able to light DC up with volume, distance punches, but DC will not be rocked by them, I don't think.

Classic inside fighter vs. outside fighter, then add the wrestling quotient. If Gus can keep it standing on the outside, he should handily win a decision. If he can keep it to the outside for 3 rounds, even, he'll LIKELY get a decision. If Cormier can get him down for the grind inside of 2, its going to get easier and easier for him to get the TD as time goes on and he wears Gus down from top position. If Cormier can land and get him down early, then there's a chance for a stoppage at some point, and perhaps an ugly one-sided Stipe v Hunt type mauling (extreme example)

I'm pulling for Gus, and he's definitely got a chance, but I think his gameplan to victory requires more perfection in execution to be succesful, while Cormier is allowed more mistakes.

Cormier 4 rounds to 1, people start whining about the stagnancy of the fight by late round 3.

If Gus comes in shape(should be) and confident(not so sure) I think he'll probably outstrike DC if he can defend his TDs. More than anything else I'm worried about Gus's confidence because Rumble really wrecked his shit.

Although I bash Gus' fangirls constantly I actually like him as a fighter.
Hope he wins but I would not bet on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back