People say a bigger fist means harder punching but I don't believe it

Force equals mass times acceleration, mate.
I think the thread subject is dumb as fuck but...

the difference between the mass of small hands vs big means nothing. Hands don't weigh much. If theres a serial killer than can tell us the different weight of hands go ahead and chime in but I don't think it matters. if youre a hard puncher youre a hard puncher regardless of hands.

A bigger fist doesn't necessarily mean a slower punch but it does guarantee more mass.

Force is mass times acceleration squared.

The force being distributed over a smaller area doesnt increase the overall force.

More force is more power. Bigger hands guarantee more power when all other variables are the same.

The same cannot be said for smaller hands.

I think the thread subject is dumb as fuck but...

the difference between the mass of small hands vs big means nothing. Hands don't weigh much. If theres a serial killer than can tell us the different weight of hands go ahead and chime in but I don't think it matters. if youre a hard puncher youre a hard puncher regardless of hands.

It's measurable, everything is. The formula for force was just to mess with Big Brain TS. You'd really use ke=1/2mv^2.

It's measurable, everything is. The formula for force was just to mess with Big Brain TS. You'd really use ke=1/2mv^2.
i'm aware hands are measurable... but do you really think a hw with smaller hands punch wouldnt punch as hard as he would with bigger hands?

it's the same force

I think some people just punch harder than others. I doubt hand size has anything to do with it, but I would imagine larger hands would likely be more durable over time and if you start breaking your hands it might give you pause throwing power.
I'm a small guy, and I would have to say the bigger dudes with bigger hands punch harder.
Then again, I ain't no punching bag, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Actually, in Kung Fu, I was a pretty outstanding punching bag, now that I think of it.
Made me a better man. LOL

I'm a small guy, and I would have to say the bigger dudes with bigger hands punch harder.
Then again, I ain't no punching bag, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Actually, in Kung Fu, I was a pretty outstanding punching bag, now that I think of it.
Made me a better man. LOL

Yeah,bigger dude's dud gonna tend to punch harder and they're going to tend to have bigger hands. It doesn't mean that bigger hands in and of themselves lead to a harder punch.

Yeah,bigger dude's dud gonna tend to punch harder and they're going to tend to have bigger hands. It doesn't mean that bigger hands in and of themselves lead to a harder punch.
Popeye hit hard.

I've heard this said before (specifically by Joe Rogan) and it's definitely bullshit. If someone has KO power its because they're explosive and know how to throw a punch. You can land one knuckle on someones chin and put them to sleep. I reckon you could literally chop off a fighters hands (Cody Garbrandt for example), and he would still have the potential to KO someone with his stumps.

If a guy hits with size 7 hands,the same guy hits with size 10 hands it will be harder if it's still at the same speed of movement with the heavier hands. Assuming the larger hands, which weigh more, do not slow him down, its guaranteed it will be a harder punch for sure.
It's the Same as like hitting something with a 18 oz. Hammer compared to a sledge hammer. If the distance of the hammers swing is the same and speed is same, the sledge is going to hit far harder because it weighs more making the impact greater. Like if a 45 bullet had same travel speed as a 22..the 45 bullet being larger does more damage because of the size of the impact area. Even If the sledge is slower, the 18 oz would have to be way faster to generate the same force. You dont see anyone driving rail road spikes with a 18 oz hammer.
Fedor hits harder because of technique and speed. Brock has bigger hands but is slow and doent use the technique that allows him to generate as much power with his hips.

i'm aware hands are measurable... but do you really think a hw with smaller hands punch wouldnt punch as hard as he would with bigger hands?

it's the same force

Well less mass would mean less force, but less mass would likely mean that you could move your fist faster (conservation of momentum) so it should balance out.

If you think about it, consider this situation:

If Brock Lesnar and Fedor Emelianenko both punch with a pretty similar force. Which I think is pretty likely because Brock had great size but not great technique, and Fedor had decent size but great technique and ferocity. So lets just pretend for the sake of this test that it balances out.

<YeahOKJen>

So let's say they both represent 100 punching power and lets say Brock has a hand size 10 and Fedor has a hand size 7, people often think you multiply the power by the hand size to get how much total force is there but that's wrong. What you do is divide because force is because spread out over the area of impact.

So Brock hits you for 100 over an area size 10, that means you only feel 10 damage.
Fedor hits you for 100 over an area size 7, that means you feel 14.285 damage.

<SelenaWow>

Brock's fist is like getting hit by a big tree stump, which sucks but Fedor's fist penetrates into you like a spear piercing deep tissue and organs.
Nah youre getting too science geek over it. Bigger hands = dense bone and a larger area of impact aids in producing a concussion.

I mean it’s the fighter but all things being equal of course a larger fist will make you punch harder.

Give fedor Brock’s fist and he would have that’s much more power.

What the fuck sherdog.

Sure, but the mass behind a properly thrown punch is the mass of the whole body, not that of just the fist (unless the fighter is detaching his fist and throwing it as a projectile, which I have to admit would be kind of entertaining to watch).

Moreover, a properly thrown punch has muscle force applied all the way through the target, which is why even a slow punch can hit very hard (ie heavy hands) if you can't move with the punch. The physics is different (and much more complicated) than projectile motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_body_dynamics
I know. I don't think hand size really matters. If it does, it would be something more along the lines of bone size and density providing a more rigid structure for delivery of impact.

it's a factor in punching power. But there are many factors.

A bigger fist doesn't necessarily mean a slower punch but it does guarantee more mass.

Force is mass times acceleration squared.

The force being distributed over a smaller area doesnt increase the overall force.

More force is more power. Bigger hands guarantee more power when all other variables are the same.

The same cannot be said for smaller hands.

The smaller hand can much faster and produce the power

Force equals mass times acceleration, mate.
neither is accurate but Energy=1/2 mass times velocity squared is closer. But that's for a projectile punches are not a projectile. By that equation faster punchers should hit harder but heavy punchers next to never throw fast punches.

Last edited:
I mean it’s the fighter but all things being equal of course a larger fist will make you punch harder.

Give fedor Brock’s fist and he would have that’s much more power.

What the fuck sherdog.

U can't say if, having bigger frame hands require more power yet will be slower than smaller faster precise precision technical hands

neither is accurate but Energy=1/2 mass times velocity squared is closer. But that's for a projectile punches are not a projectile. By that equation faster punchers should hit harder but heavy punchers next to never throw fast punches.

This was covered later in the thread, dude.

Back