People say a bigger fist means harder punching but I don't believe it

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you think about it, consider this situation:

If Brock Lesnar and Fedor Emelianenko both punch with a pretty similar force. Which I think is pretty likely because Brock had great size but not great technique, and Fedor had decent size but great technique and ferocity. So lets just pretend for the sake of this test that it balances out.

<YeahOKJen>

So let's say they both represent 100 punching power and lets say Brock has a hand size 10 and Fedor has a hand size 7, people often think you multiply the power by the hand size to get how much total force is there but that's wrong. What you do is divide because force is because spread out over the area of impact.

So Brock hits you for 100 over an area size 10, that means you only feel 10 damage.
Fedor hits you for 100 over an area size 7, that means you feel 14.285 damage.

<SelenaWow>

Brock's fist is like getting hit by a big tree stump, which sucks but Fedor's fist penetrates into you like a spear piercing deep tissue and organs.

There was an old OC punk band called Drain Bramaged

Didn't Shane Carwin finish all his wins with first round finishes.... Dude had bigger fists than Brock.

I think some people just punch harder than others. I doubt hand size has anything to do with it, but I would imagine larger hands would likely be more durable over time and if you start breaking your hands it might give you pause throwing power.

Does finger size matter? Can have large palms and skinny fingers

Those Lily white Colorado hands never been in a fight
AncientDimpledKawala-size_restricted.gif

veloshity x fist denshity x latissimus dorsize = <36>

People with bigger hands usually have bigger wrists, elbow joints and joints in general, and therefore can put on more muscle mass/have more bone + muscle mass naturally and thus hit harder.
That's why people often talk about hand/wrist size as an indicator for the amount of strength an athlete can produce.
Muscle type (fast or slow twitching) plays a big, if not the biggest factor though, along with the leverage of a certain frame, which is down to bone length and where tendons and muscles are connected to bespoken bones.

I think its safe to say that large mits lends its self to the idea of kinetic energy. i small hand traveling faster will have as much energy as a large hand travel slow. If the large hand travels quicker it will have more kinetic energy. This however has little meaning if you look up kinetic linking in a sense because if the big man can't kinetically link his punch the smaller man might still hit harder. think of francis ngoowinodsindo or how ever you spell his name he is large with large hands and good kinetic linking so he hits like a truck. Mark hunt is another who is in the same boat.

Sonny Liston had some gigantic hands but no big hands don't give you more power, if you look at the most powerful puncher the majority of them have pretty normal hands.

Well if you get fisted by a smaller fist it goes in deeper.

If Brock Lesnar and Fedor Emelianenko both punch with a pretty similar force. Which I think is pretty likely because Brock had great size but not great technique, and Fedor had decent size but great technique and ferocity. So lets just pretend for the sake of this test that it balances out.

<YeahOKJen>

So let's say they both represent 100 punching power and lets say Brock has a hand size 10 and Fedor has a hand size 7, people often think you multiply the power by the hand size to get how much total force is there but that's wrong. What you do is divide because force is because spread out over the area of impact.

So Brock hits you for 100 over an area size 10, that means you only feel 10 damage.

<SelenaWow>

Brock's fist is like getting hit by a big tree stump, which sucks but Fedor's fist penetrates into you like a spear piercing deep tissue and organs.
The idea that big fists=big power by itself is retarded, power comes from explosiveness and proper technique. That said, bigger people usually have bigger fists and they have more bodyweight to throw behind their shots.

Also bigger fists are probably more durable which enables them to punch harder without fracturing their hands.

Force equals mass times acceleration, mate.

If you've got bigger hands it's means you're built more solid which means you punch harder. It's not fucking rocket science

<YeahOKJen>

<SelenaWow>

I don't think that's really how it works LOL. I understand the point you're trying to make, but more force is being generated by a bigger object if it's moving at the same speed as a smaller one. The smaller one may have the force concentrated more, but it's also just generating less force to begin with.

You need to drive through a brick wall in a vehicle going 80 MPH. A mini cooper isn't going to have a better chance of busting through the wall than an Escalade due to it's force being concentrated into a smaller area. You still have a better chance of smashing through that wall in the Escalade.

Force=MassxAcceleration still applies to punching.

Back