People mad about Okami....

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dman4Life8017, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Dman4Life8017

Dman4Life8017 Green Belt

People are entirely too mad about Yushin Okami being cut, but seriously. Think about this from a business perspective. How do you promote Yushin Okami[and fighters like him ala John Fitch etc...] when they fight in such a boring style. People like to say the "Just bleed" crowd has won out, but I whole heartedly disagree with that. People tend to forget that prize fighting is more than about being a good, or great fighter and collecting a win. It's about entertainment, and putting on a show. All the most successful fighters fall into one or more of the following:

-Be a willing fighter. I'm not saying go out and be a reckless brawler, but going out and engaging in the fight, showing the crowd[and promoter] that you are here to fight, and not just collect a paycheck endears you to the crowd and shows the promoter that you are someone to be taken seriously.

-Have a "personality". Even if you're a winner, but you're bland as vanilla, nobody is going to care about you. Look at Chael Sonnen and Floyd Mayweather as prime examples of this. Chael isn't the best fighter in the world, but he knows how to talk and promote himself. Every fight that he's in, he makes you feel that it's the biggest thing happening at that point and noting else matters. Floyd Mayweather and his "Money" persona. Even though he's not out there knocking guys off the block, his personality shines through. You want to see what he's about. Who is this guy who is "Popping bottles, carries $1million in cash on him at all times, gambles like its nothing, and is pretty good in the ring too"? Makes you want to see who he is and what he was about. Nobody cared about Floyd Mayweather when he was "Pretty boy Floyd".

-Be dominant. You don't have to be knocking guys out the frame, or submitting everyone to be a dominant fighter. Look at guys like GSP. Every fight he is in, he dominates. He leaves no question on who was the better fighter that day. He dominates in all facets of MMA. Stand up, Wrestling, Grappling. His opponents can't go out there and say "I almost had him....", because they had no shot.

-Be a finisher. Nothing helps a fighter's cause in any combat sport than finishing opponents with regularity. Promoters love fighters like this because they're the easiest to promote. You can easily sell a guy's finishing ability plus fans will get behind a guy who is putting guys away. I mean hell, look at Mike Tyson. All he did for the better part of his career was knock guys out, and every promotion you saw about Mike, was about how great he was of a knockout artist. Same with people like Jon Jones, Junior Dos Santos, even Mike Browne. People will say "Well this is just part of the just bleed mentality". You can be a finisher without being a sloppy brawler/street fighter mentality.

-Don't be a point fighter, and nothing else. In professional combat sports, simply winning by doing the are minimum required while inflicting minimal damage is almost as bad as going out there and getting blown out the frame. It shows you're not a willing fighter, but you're good enough to exploit the rules. Fans don't like these guys that reside on either side of the fence IE the "Just Bleed" guys, and the "I watch for the technical art" guys. It's the reason why guys like John Fitch and Yushin Okami are cut the second they lose. They appeal to nobody, and are hard to promote because they have no other aspects to themselves besides simply grinding out a win.

-Don't get destroyed and be competitive. This sort of ties into the first one. If you're a willing fighter, but you're going out there and getting blown out the frame every time you lose, it's hard to promote that. But if you're competitive even in a loss, that's a guy a promoter can also get behind. It's the reason why Dan Hardy was never considered to be cut by Dana White, because at one point he lost 4 in a row. But in those 4 losses, he was competitive. Even his loss against GSP, he showed great heart, and looked like he "belonged" there. He didn't go out and get utterly dominated or blown out the frame.

So next time people bitch and moan about a guy getting cut, go back and actually look at the guy's fights. See if he falls into one of these categories, because I know for damn sure Yushin Okami didn't

2. s1fys

s1fys abc

Good thread.

The funny thing is that many people who complain about Okami's cut probably never purchased a PPV mainly because Okami is on it.

3. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

For Christ's sake, the guy was still a top 10 fighter and had won 3 out of his last 4 fights. 2 of those wins were against top 10 opponents too. He has a lot of great wins, better than Bisping and other guys who will never get cut. Top ten fighters should not be thrown out like garbage because they're "boring". That's some WWE type shit. If this is a legit sport then sign and keep the best fighters, not just some just bleed brawler who is a journeyman. Those guys have their place, but Okami was a bad cut. I can understand if he were losing all of the time, but one loss to a top opponent should not have caused him to lose his job.

4. Nelly

Nelly Black Belt

At least three or four of your category is pretty much the same thing.

5. Grijswaarde

Grijswaarde Black Belt

Good thread... even though i don't agree with Okami being cut, for the sake of the sport, i do agree that your assesment is correct. That pretty much sums it up.

6. tfarco

tfarco White Belt

Now everyone has learned that learning English so important can be talked the way like Sonnen.
    Finally, besides straight lose, boring fight + silence make good fighter cut.

7. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

My biggest issue is that a top 5 guy gets cut but someone not even ranked like CB Dollaway who is boring as hell is in the UFC.

8. Cooliox

Cooliox Gold Belt Platinum Member

His style is pretty much like Randy Couture's. He shines at pushing people against the cage and working his dirty boxing.

You know what the UFC should have done? They should have made him fight a lower ranked fighter so that he can have that gory finish.

He's been fighting top 10 MWs for like 5 years. How easy do you think it is to finish a top10 ufc fighter? Especially if you're a grappler/grinder like Okami?

9. mma pratice**

mma pratice** Banned Banned

they should rename the UFC to UFE

Ultimate Fighting Entertainment

10. eXtv

eXtv Red Belt

If you think Yushin should have been cut then you're happy admitting that MMA isn't a real sport. At least, how the UFC runs it, isn't.

11. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

They gave him one tune up fight in his last four, and yeah, he finished the guy. He got finished by a top 5 fighter in his only loss, and he got cut. It's complete BS. He's clearly still a top 10 or even top 5 fighter and he has the wins to prove it.

12. Uncommon Valor

Uncommon Valor Super Fly

Tl;dr: Okami was cut because he was boring.

13. ZackZed

ZackZed Black Belt

He's not winning any major titles anymore, a great run in the UFC, plenty of ups and downs, fought the best the division has to offer - Silva, Sonnen, Rich, Tanner, Marquart, Lombard, Shield, Jacare and Munoz.

14. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

I understand their reasoning fine, but I'm not to sympathetic to it. I blame them for making this mainly a buisness decision while at the same time claiming legitimacy as a sport.

Sports vs entertainment is always a sliding scale, but every time the UFC cuts a top fighter, they are pushing themselves towards the latter.

15. Xaa

Xaa Purple Belt

Are you just figuring that out? It is entertainment based on non predetermined outcome fights. The matchmaking itself however has always been done based on subjective, entertainment based criteria. It only approaches sport when the matches made are similar to or in line with public ranking sentiment.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  16. Epyon

Epyon Green Belt

Well said.

17. Barkus

Barkus Brown Belt

This is what it comes down to. Guys getting cut based on how exciting they fight hurts the sport's credibility. Plus the fact that UFC has been basically bribing guys to be exciting with FOTN, KOTN, SOTN and locker room bonuses. I'd say the UFC puts MMA in the realm of sports entertainment rather than pure sport.

18. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

Sounds like the ultra-corrupt Elite XC.

19. Dman4Life8017

Dman4Life8017 Green Belt

The style may have been similar, but the way they employed them were totally different. Yushin would "wet blanket" a lot of his opponents against the cage, and on the ground. He'd hold them there while doing the bare minimum necessary so there wouldn't be a stand up, or a re-start off the cage. Randy Couture would force opponents up against the cage to do some serious damage with dirty boxing. He also was a "willing fighter" in that he would actively engage opponents with his boxing to set up his dirty boxing and his wrestling takedowns. I can recall quite a few boring Yushin Okami fights, while I can't really say the same about Randy Couture.

20. eXtv

eXtv Red Belt

Just because I just said it doesn't mean I only just figured it out.