People don't tap to footlocks. Why did Boogeyman?

Chokes won’t hurt you, so you can go as far as you want, a little nap here and there won’t hurt anyone, not taping to joint locks in training is silly

Chokes won’t hurt you, so you can go as far as you want, a little nap here and there won’t hurt anyone, not taping to joint locks in training is silly

I used to think this until I met a guy who rolled with a neck brace for the couple months to a year that I knew him. He said he let a little girl put him in a RNC and it collapsed his trachea or something.

Chokes are strange in that done perfectly, they have the least potential to hurt you. Done wrong, they can cause some of the worst damage - to the spine.

With not tapping to some choked in competitions I'm afraid I'll get my neck injured if I go to sleep and the other guy will keep twisting it. Not sure how likely it is. Obviously less risk with lapel choked.

Panza's footlock is very foreign to me. I've never met anyone who had a bite almost on the calf like he does.

The best footlock guy I know does them almost like a high elbow guillotine - it hurts before before the breaking pressure even sets in.

Personally I prefer the classic gracie style footlock where figure 4 the foot - helps me counter the boot defense more.

I've heard repeatedly about using a twisting motion on the foot that can potentially damage the knee if not severely injure the ankle. Anyone have any videos that emphasize this?

Panza's footlock is very foreign to me. I've never met anyone who had a bite almost on the calf like he does.

The best footlock guy I know does them almost like a high elbow guillotine - it hurts before before the breaking pressure even sets in.

Personally I prefer the classic gracie style footlock where figure 4 the foot - helps me counter the boot defense more.

I've heard repeatedly about using a twisting motion on the foot that can potentially damage the knee if not severely injure the ankle. Anyone have any videos that emphasize this?
JiuJitsu.com || How To Finish a Straight Ankle Lock || Roli Delgado

There ya go.

The twisting motion of the modern ankle lock doesn't typically hurt the knee, unless the defender does something dumb. But it does ensure that the ankle lock will tear things like the ATF ligament and dislocate the foot rather than just crushing the achilles as in the older achilles locks, which is typically the downfall of the figure-4/old Gracie-style method.

There ya go.

The twisting motion of the modern ankle lock doesn't typically hurt the knee, unless the defender does something dumb. But it does ensure that the ankle lock will tear things like the ATF ligament and dislocate the foot rather than just crushing the achilles as in the older achilles locks, which is typically the downfall of the figure-4/old Gracie-style method.

Top video. Among the number of a lot of top competitors ones I saw, it's the first time I think finally understand better the modern ankle lock.

Here is a video on an ankle lock variation that IMO is much more powerful than the standard version. Not many people use it however and I don't think it has a standard name. I call it the inside ankle lock and the normal version the outside ankle lock.

It requires much less strength than the regular ankle lock and I've felt pressure in my knee as well as my ankle. I'm guessing it will damage your leg in the same way as an outside heelhook, but I've never been popped with one or popped anyone else with it, so I'm not sure. Its a great technique, but I'd be careful with it. Just like a heel hook "the boot" doesn't stop it, but they can slip out easily, similar to a heelhook.

The Hayastan Footlocker is super good. I have learned it from Caio (Braulio also teaches it). For maximum brutality you even can mix it with a Luiz Panza style 50/50 ankle lock (you can do it one handed with a lapel grip like and belly down like Panza does)

With the right torque, you can break bones. DDS, Cummings and modern foot locks/heel hooks focus on the break. You can have no ligaments, but you still have bones that will reach a breaking point.

To correct you anatomically, without ligaments there is no joint at all.

Just some adjacent unconnected bones. Without ligaments in your ankle you aren't walking ever.

There ya go.

This is precisely the way my friend who is really good at footlocks does it. Only difference is my friend has the ankle deep in the crook of his elbow.

To correct you anatomically, without ligaments there is no joint at all.

Just some adjacent unconnected bones. Without ligaments in your ankle you aren't walking ever.
Fair enough. I’m really replying to guys who say they have no ligaments or have super flexible ligaments. That is why they say they don’t tap.

Fair enough. I’m really replying to guys who say they have no ligaments or have super flexible ligaments. That is why they say they don’t tap.

Yeah I've heard the excuses, I just think they're all retarded.

There were people in the bjj crowd only a few decades back saying that one needn't tap to kimuras. It's just a strong man move. Helio was fine, could've kept fighting.

To me this is the same as that nonsense.

Getting your joint wrecked instead of tapping in high level competition is a personal choice and doesn't make the lock that broke your joint ineffective.

Last edited:
Yeah I've heard the excuses, I just think they're all retarded.
I think some of them where valid with some of the super old school legs locks. I remember being taught pressure point straight footlocks targeting the point the tendon connects to the muscle or whatever bullshit place. Actually felt it was the hardest and most resistant place on my leg[/QUOTE]

I think some of them where valid with some of the super old school legs locks. I remember being taught pressure point straight footlocks targeting the point the tendon connects to the muscle or whatever bullshit place. Actually felt it was the hardest and most resistant place on my leg
[/QUOTE]

Who the hell taught you that?

Who the hell taught you that?

Some MMA dude was showing the Achilles lock. It was causing pain to other people. I think targeting the calf with the straight ankle lock is the super old school way.

I have continued to develop my footlocks since creating this thread. I've also added the caio terra footlock. It is actually extremely powerful and many people do not expect it - I can see why Craig and Caio have success with it.

1. How do you guys deal with people grabbing the lapel to prevent you from arching back for the footlock?

2. I crunched another guy's foot last week who refused to respect the footlock. I let go as soon as I heard the crunch.

Do you guys continue to crank if the guy refuses to tap?

I have continued to develop my footlocks since creating this thread. I've also added the caio terra footlock. It is actually extremely powerful and many people do not expect it - I can see why Craig and Caio have success with it.

1. How do you guys deal with people grabbing the lapel to prevent you from arching back for the footlock?

2. I crunched another guy's foot last week who refused to respect the footlock. I let go as soon as I heard the crunch.

Do you guys continue to crank if the guy refuses to tap?
1) evaluate if the grip is breakable without wasting a ton of energy. There are technical ways to break most lapel grips that aren’t the cross grip to the ankle lock side, which is rarely worth breaking and you should attempt to prevent with your other hand. If it is not worth breaking, transition to a pass or a different leglock.

2) depends on the other guy’s rank and how hard we are training. Some of my guys know how to tell whether they’re in an unpleasant ankle lock or one that will break you. I’ll crank it on them because they generally can take it. Visitors? White belts? Nah, transition.

I'd say two things: the first is that Jones might have been on his shin as much as his ankle, a tibia or fibula break is no joke. I've tapped to shin locks that looked like foot locks. The other thing is, when you've popped guys' feet in class, I bet you stopped. Jones wasn't going to stop. He would have kept popping shit (and maybe he had already popped something) until Martinez either gave up or was genuinely incapacitated. I'd guess it was one of those two.

Because .........People do tap to footlocks

Back