People don't tap to footlocks. Why did Boogeyman?

Didn't Miyao get injured like a week after the Tonon fight when he almost had his foot bent up his ass? They always walked around strange and turn agile when they step on the mat. Stuff don't even notice leg locks that makes normal people scream so trying to be like them seems extremely stupid.
Yep. He had to pull out of ADCC that year because of it.

And nobody mentions him but @Ice 9 Cobra will confirm that Justin rader also belongs on the list of stubborn motherfuckers that refuse to tap to anything. Glover had him that same kneebar as Robson and he didn't tap. Joao Miyao and Cobrinha have stuck his foot up his ass on toe holds or outside heel hooks and he didn't tap. Garry Tonon had him in 2 deeeep inverted heel hooks last year and he didn't tap.

I remember one ADCC against either Miyao or Cobrinha they snatched his foot up and started torquing it and it was Lovato Jr or someone else coaching Rader and they laughed and yelled out something like "It's Rader dude he will never tap to a foot lock."

Type in footlock injury on youtube after reading this thread and saw this. Wasn't a footlock but nasty

Almost threw up on christmas eve. Broken fibula and tibia.

Boogey posted a pic of his foot after the match and it was like twice the size of a normal ankle.

I've been sidelined since early this fall with several torn ligaments in my foot from a straight foot lock. They're no joke and if done the legit way of doing them (rotating the foot and not just compressing the Achilles) it can blow your foot or ankle out really bad. There are so many ways to do straight foot locks. Some are fairly harmless and are more like pain compliance techniques and it ranges from that all the way to as bad if not worse than outside heel hooks.

A strong straight foot lock should feel like the foot is literally getting torn away from the leg at the ankle joint with a twist involved, and the ligaments in the foot themselves extend and tear which is what happened to me. Thankfully I didn't need surgery but I couldn't walk unassisted for close to two weeks and I can barely get on the mats to drill and flow roll now.

I've been training since 2006 and I've never had an injury worse than this. I've had an injury from an outside heel hook before and I think this is actually worse than that was.
<{dayum}>

I had a team mate who had Miyao style resistance to toe holds and footlocks, he claimed that it was a result of a kid getting his foot stuck in a playground merry go. He was also baked all the time and claimed that weed was making him resistant to pain.

I've personally seen a black belt have his tibia broken in half with a straight ankle lock shortly after telling one of his students that they were "just a pain move".

People are stupid. Some wont tap to heel hooks and other leg locks until their zhit is snapped because they 'dont feel pain'.

Fools who boast "I don't take tap to footlocks" are just douchebags waiting for an injury. It's like those people who refuse to tap to a lower belt. These guys get physically injured to protect their precious egos.

I agree. When I started my instructor said it’s training with our partners to get better. If you know the counter then try it but if you’re late or you don’t have the muscle memory, tap. Look at professional athletes sidelined for a season due to injuries often caused in training or it’s a recurring injury. BJJ has created a monster exactly like CrossFit where it’s cool to push and injure the body which goes against the original intent of BJJ. Sports competition is only one aspect. These people will make doctors and physical therapists very happy and the better hope they have good health insurance because it can get expensive.

Fools who boast "I don't take tap to footlocks" are just douchebags waiting for an injury. It's like those people who refuse to tap to a lower belt. These guys get physically injured to protect their precious egos.

I always rekon that those guys don't want to roll that much. They do every roll to the death and have a lot of excuses to not roll the next day or even for the next week.

These are the same guys that boast about every submissions they made, they talk to you about the last time they submitted you... It's somekind of a memorable moment for them because they did about 10 rolls in the week, they were injured the week before, and they took it easy two weeks ago.

I get tapped a lot, I roll most of the times with people in my weight class or bigger, and most of the times they are way more experienced than I am. But I manage to roll 25 to 30 rounds a week, I rarely get injured, but this doesn't mean I tap early, I just don't tap late!!!

If I get caught in an ankle lock and I'm late in my defense, I will have to tapout. Instead of having a limp for 3 days and a good excuse to not train, I will start over until the end of the round.

There’s a ton of people who just don’t top to footlocks or leglocks in general, other people don’t tap to armbars eother... when it comes to joint subs, I think Kimuras are the only shit 100% of people won’t put up with.

I got my radial bone broken because I did not tap to a bicep slicer because I had been taught it was a pain move. Pain is your body saying something is wrong.

There’s a ton of people who just don’t top to footlocks or leglocks in general, other people don’t tap to armbars eother... when it comes to joint subs, I think Kimuras are the only shit 100% of people won’t put up with.

Ironically, i would add wrist locks too that list as well.

The wrist is a lot more delicate than the ankle, and has a lot more nerves in it too. Plus, noone wants to lose being able to use their hand. If you can control their arm and get a good bite on it taps come almost every time.

The wrist is a lot more delicate than the ankle, and has a lot more nerves in it too. Plus, noone wants to lose being able to use their hand. If you can control their arm and get a good bite on it taps come almost every time.
Some people have crazy wrist flexibility.

Wristlocks hurts like a bitch, but some people can get extremely flexible on them... Kimuras also but there’s always a point where no human being can go further...

I personally won't break a person's knee anymore even in competition. I've done it before times when I was younger. Its not worth it to me anymore. I am not making a living doing this and I don't want to be responsible for making a guy spend a year recovering. I am very good at heel hooks and I know when a knee is bound up and ready to break. I won't take it past the point of popping. If that makes me lose that's life.

And nobody mentions him but @Ice 9 Cobra will confirm that Justin rader also belongs on the list of stubborn motherfuckers that refuse to tap to anything. Glover had him that same kneebar as Robson and he didn't tap. Joao Miyao and Cobrinha have stuck his foot up his ass on toe holds or outside heel hooks and he didn't tap. Garry Tonon had him in 2 deeeep inverted heel hooks last year and he didn't tap.

I remember one ADCC against either Miyao or Cobrinha they snatched his foot up and started torquing it and it was Lovato Jr or someone else coaching Rader and they laughed and yelled out something like "It's Rader dude he will never tap to a foot lock."

Or that armbar/calf slicer mexican standoff he was in. Ooph, hurts to think about.

I personally won't break a person's knee anymore even in competition. I've done it before times when I was younger. Its not worth it to me anymore. I am not making a living doing this and I don't want to be responsible for making a guy spend a year recovering. I am very good at heel hooks and I know when a knee is bound up and ready to break. I won't take it past the point of popping. If that makes me lose that's life.

I've broken knees and I don't think every knee has the same breaking point. The one that was the worst I had just grabbed and hadn't even begun to torque.

Brown belt here who rolls with a bunch of competitive purple and up guys. They tap to mine when I do them but I often bait them into trying them on me so I can counter with my own.

In some cases it is true it just doesn’t hurt I’ve seen them tap other people with it but I’ve never been sidelined or injured by them. I’m 45 years old so I tap early to everything and everyone. I will fight chokes as long as possible and never been put to sleep because I don’t want to go out. I fight arm bars very little because even the slightest pain from then takes way to long to heal from. Heal hooks I’ll tap before you even know you have me in one!

Attack my feet and I’ll be fine!

Purple belt here. I'm 45 and I tap quickly to almost any joint lock. Why? Because before Jiu jitsu I had already kicked the shit out of my body with a bunch of other extreme sports, and my joints are all in rough shape.

I'll tap to a locked in joint lock before I'll tap to a locked in choke for sure. Chokes typically offer a chance to resist and escape, but a locked in Jointlock offers only pain, misery and injury. I just can't risk getting hurt on the mats. Life and stuff.

Back